What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Wonder of Cliffy's Playfield Protectors.

pintableuser

Registered
Over the years, I have fitted a lot of these to my pins and always been delighted with the result.
Cleverly designed to repair/protect plastic ramp tight curves n leading edges and woodwork round the edge of drop and scoop holes, they are durable and aesthetically pleasing.
The scoop-hole protectors are made from 24gauge 304 stainless with a nice shiny finish. Imo, they are well up-to the task having no adverse effect on ball direction or speed.
Price?.....it's a complex pressing n fits perfectly,... perhaps twice as much as the alternatives..... but I personally wouldn't consider fitting any other.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/

:) It may look that way....but sadly no. I've tried many of the cheaper alternatives with disappointing result.
The Cliffy website also has some interesting LINKS and guidance for those using wood putty to repair play-field damage iwo scoop holes.

I bought a Cliffy chair protector for TAF, when it came I thought "WTF have I just paid for?" But once installed it covers the wear just perfectly and you hardly notice it's there.

Why don't they fit these on all new pins?

Why don't they fit these on all new pins?
Well if a new Pin lasted so much longer then they wouldn't shift as many maybe?

As mentioned elsewhere there is little benefit for the manufacturers to make the tables last longer than you might expect.

Well if a new Pin lasted so much longer then they wouldn't shift as many maybe?

As mentioned elsewhere there is little benefit for the manufacturers to make the tables last longer than you might expect.

I think they should be offered as a option extra at time of purchase... It not going to make a great deal of difference to how long a tables going to last rather how nice it still looks after x amount of time, as there is always someone who can touch up or rebuild any hole damage. :)

Yeah having them as an option would be a nice 'value added service' that they could offer.

I've just fitted the protectors to my R&B and I have to say they're a brilliant fit and very well manufactured.

Had the universal roll over ones for my FT and had some for my Sharkey's Shootout they're great!
Stern shooter lane protectors are also well worth installing..

Not a fan of them myself. The ramp and rollover protectors are fine but Leave the hole protectors on a game for years and they start to push themselves into the playfield, leaving an ugly outline or worse. Personally I would rather opt for low tack mylar, but obviously don't look as nice as the cliffy's.

Sorry....I'm not familiar with low tack mylar repair technique on upkickers n scoop holes.... got any pictures??? and any where the cliffy has dug into the playfield??

You're not familiar with sticking a piece of mylar around a scoop hole? I should have been a bit clearer on the cliffys I don't think much of. That would be 'just' the scoop hole protectors.

I don't have any pics but I did have an sttng with a neutral zone cliffy that made the already damaged area underneath it worse by leaving a horrible outline where the cliffy sat. A similar experience came about after I bought a TAF with a cliffy buried into the edge of the chair hole. In that case, the cliffy had come loose and the ball hitting it over time mashed the edge into the wood of the PF. May not be an issue with other/newer games as there are many different varieties for many different machines. Incorrectly fitted? Perhaps, and not by me. But it still happened.

Theres also the issue of them interfering with the ball travel (Tron, for example) which I don't care for much either although I do concede that they have gotten much better over the years (thinner, tapered leading edges).

There are also mantis protectors that don't sit on the playfield and don't interfere with ball travel. Heres one on AFM:
mantis1.jpg

I had visions of a wad of mylar covering a shredded section of scoop hole. :)

The Mantis is cheaper n less invasive, a gr8 initial protector but not so good if the scoop hole edge is already chewed.
Like all things the results will be bad when items are flawed or wrongly fitted........

Back
Top Bottom