What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete The tale of the Star Trek Premium

s000m

Site Supporter
Alias
Scott
So as promised here is my first every pin purchase documented is all its (ugliness) glory.

It all started in late March when I decided with the wife that we were going to get a Pinball machine. I had in my Garage when I was a child a Bally Pinball Wizard pinball machine. It never worked and was given to someone to repair who then ended up stealing it and never returning it...

I've always been interested in Arcades as a kid my Dad used to go around fixing and repairing Fruit machines, pinballs and Arcade machines. Space and money has meant I never got to have a Pinball machine until now.

My wife studied Pinside's top 100 and we settled on Star Trek as the pin of choice. Fate would have it that such a pin the very next week appeared on UK Pinball Group. It was a Star Trek Premium. The person selling it had come into possession after a death in the family. He knew very little about it and was asking for pricing.

Naievly I asked 'What have you been offered so far' for the machine. To which he responded 'I have a dealer offering in excess of £6000. I responded with an offer of £6300 and he accepted.

The seller lived less than an hours drive and we drove down to inspect the machine. I had prior to going down tried to organise a visit with Martin who I'm sure most of you know performs collections and deliveries but he wasn't going to my neck of the woods for at least 2 weeks.

We arrived at an old house the Machine was being stored in the garage. We performed some initial inspection of the machine. It looked great from first glance and proceeded to try the machine out. A ball got stuck in the Vengeance. The seller said 'Yeah it does that we think its something to do with the balance' and pointed to the spirit level within the machine which was well off the centre.

The flippers all worked and not having experienced any modern Pinball machine I was wow'd by the effects and lighting.

On the lighting front I noticed some lights weren't lit on the playfield but assumed 'naievly' at the time that these used lamp holders with £3 bulbs (how wrong I was!) the machine look great on face value and I proceeded to agree to purchase of the machine.

The seller was keen to get rid of the machine today so I was placed into a position of trying to mount the machine in our car to take it back.

My car although a Hatchback (Honda Civic Type R) was definately no designed to hold a Pinball machine.

I present the first picture of said machine.

PXL_20210331_184759667.jpg

Imagine this going down the Motorway :D Got more than a few looks. Luckily I had bought some decent Strap Wrenches to hold it into place. I definately won't be repeating this as I'm amazed I didn't damage the Pin or the car in the process!

After we got the machine home I began to set it up. This is where I noticed the first few problems.

The rear feet were completely rusted.
PXL_20210404_101607288.jpg

I began the long and arduous tasks of cleaning and sanding them back to a reasonable finish.

PXL_20210405_214205123.jpg

PXL_20210405_214212912.jpg

From the condition of the feet and other metal parts on the machine it looks like it was left in a very damp area...

I proceeded to clean all the other rusted area's.

PXL_20210424_094226533.jpg

PXL_20210424_102528971.jpg

PXL_20210404_102600041.jpg

PXL_20210405_214157231.jpg

Next i got myself acquainted with the Stern Diagnostics and inspected the playfield.... Many lights were faulty.
<Videoi of faulty lights)

520-6808-02 (lights 1 and 3 fault)
520-6812-01 (3 faulty lights)
520-6811-00 (4 faulty lights)
520-6813-00 (all 3 lights faulty)

I spoke with people on the UK Pinball group (mainly Neil) and discovered that LED replacement would be difficult and not recommended and replacement parts were the way to go..

While performing switch tests, further inspection had yielded the following:

PXL_20210401_204039086.MP.jpg

- Missing Roll Over spring on the TR(E)K Canal
- Faulty Roll Over Switch on the 'Away Team'

I ordered the replacement parts and £400 later they arrived.
I installed each part and voila the switches and lights were operational once more!

My next issue came from the mechanics of the game. This took the longest time to resolve...

Despite what the seller thought about the issue the problem was not the leveling of the playfield. During Vengeance multiball one more balls would continually get stuck within the mechanism.

I initially bought standard Stern Pinball balls which look to resolve the issue and worked for a little while but quickly became magnetised and the issue repeated.

I was led down initially the route of faulty opto's but switch tests concluded these were fine and were not the result of balls become stuck.

In the end the issue was resolved by twisting the wires underneath the playfield. The issue was documented some 7 years ago. It looks like the previous owner never bothered to resolve the problem!

PXL_20210419_134339791.jpg

Replacement balls designed for magnetic games were also purchased from Pinball Bazaar for good measure and touch wood the issue has not returned since.

While inspecting the tranceiver boards that board 5 had its wiring in reverse. I adjusted the wiring and moved onto the next issue.

The DMD at this time decided to start playing up...

Line have appeared in the screen solid red and get worse the longer the machine is left on for. I ordered a replacement refurbished DMD from Cointaker but it unfortunately arrived DOA. It had a missing dot within the board which I suspect had something to do with the non functionality.

PXL_20210422_120230997.jpg

Raising ticket requests initially yielded a response of an apology and a statement that a replacement would be sent. 2 weeks later no updates had been provided. Placing a query here then led to an immediate refund of my purchase with no further communication. An offer has since been accepted on here for a replacement DMD. I will update the log here once it arrives.

Next up the playfield. I waxed it and other than dimple city it appears to be fine. I considered a playfield protector but see mixed responses on their effectiveness and appeal.

I then inspected the flippers. These were yellow and loose from I can imagine years of use and exposure to sunlight. Thankfully the artwork isn't affected!

I ordered some new bats and solenoid sleeves.

Dissasembly of the flippers and links were easier than I thought. The coil sleeves were a good bet as the existing ones were very worn. Thankfully the coils and coil stops seemed OK.

PXL_20210428_114527934.jpg

Old VS. the new

PXL_20210428_114600037.jpg

PXL_20210428_105929616.jpg

PXL_20210428_105712189.jpg

Coil stops cleaned and coil sleeves and bats replaced I put everything back together.

PXL_20210428_141145272.jpg

The rubbers were put back on as they hadn't arrived yet and would do for now.

Fast forward to today my replacement rubber kit arrived.

I replaced all rubbers on the playfield. Some were in terrible shape.

PXL_20210510_113953011.jpg

PXL_20210510_113850965.jpg

PXL_20210510_113856617.jpg

I ordered replacement rubbers from scandanavian pinball. £15 including delivery. They even threw in some red rubbers for the flipper bats as a free gift!

PXL_20210510_113842792.jpg

PXL_20210510_123921292.jpg

PXL_20210510_123925439.jpg

PXL_20210510_131220821.jpg

PXL_20210510_133724516.jpg

PXL_20210510_133749581.jpg

PXL_20210510_133744197.jpg

When the DMD arrives I'll be finished. Its been a bit of a long road but its all finally coming together.

Hope you enjoyed reading my journey.

Attachments

• PXL_20210424_095401421.jpg
    PXL_20210424_095401421.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 14
Good to see you sorted it, you see quite a few Honda’s in Swindon😂 I had a house in Kingsdown rd near that nice pub and Honda😎
Fair play getting it back in that👍

DMD posted today mate [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You haven't had the easiest run by the sounds of things, especially not with a machine I still think of as new!

Glad you sorted your issues and didn't total the car in the move, that looked stressful!

Good to see you sorted it, you see quite a few Honda’s in Swindon😂 I had a house in Kingsdown rd near that nice pub and Honda😎
Fair play getting it back in that👍
I have two Honda's everyone thinks I work for them 😅

You haven't had the easiest run by the sounds of things, especially not with a machine I still think of as new!

Glad you sorted your issues and didn't total the car in the move, that looked stressful!
It was an experience!

If anything I learnt all about Pinball maintenance from the word go. Next time I'll know what to look for :D

A few mins using a wire wheel in a drill will soon clear up them lightly rusted feet 😉 as for balls and rubbers I use the legend at pinball mania .
@Colywobbles does a very nice plastic protection for this machine 🙂

The first machine and first time can be daunting so good to see it didn’t phase you.
It is a machine many of us will think of as being quite new but if it saw an arcade or any time with paying customers, then it will have had a bit of abuse just because of the number of plays they need to get to earn their keep. Home life should be a lot easier on her.

epic first pin and worth the effort!

You have to have a good first pin story.

The first machine and first time can be daunting so good to see it didn’t phase you.
It is a machine many of us will think of as being quite new but if it saw an arcade or any time with paying customers, then it will have had a bit of abuse just because of the number of plays they need to get to earn their keep. Home life should be a lot easier on her.
Thanks, the machines had a lot of twists and turns you wouldn't believe after I posted this I went to turn the machine on and the fuse in the plug popped!

Inspection of the fuse revealed the same corrosion I've seen around the cab.

New fuse and back working (thank God).

LOVE Star Trek. I had a pro but eventually upgraded to an LE.

Really surprised to see a premium is such a bad condition. Was it in an arcade?

LOVE Star Trek. I had a pro but eventually upgraded to an LE.

Really surprised to see a premium is such a bad condition. Was it in an arcade?
Unsure, the sellers uncle had died and it was moved to the Grandparents Garage. Thats all I know.

You can see it’s been sitting somewhere not heated and humid from the dull metal posts and rusty bolt heads. Would all clean up though.
Quick rub with metal polish should bring up those metal posts shiny.

Can anyone recommend touch up paint or someone that can repaint the Star Trek Red powder coat for the side railings?

I have a chip on mine which I'd like to take care of.

PXL_20210511_133810743.jpg

I would try and get some touch up paint from Halfords etc
Closest match possible and you will probably not see it unless pointed out, you could also put a bit of clear touch up on top of the red touch up so it shines.

Looks a bit darker but hard to tell in pics, take the lockdown bar into Halfords and see if one looks close.

Got some paint from Halfords. Need to wait 24 hours for the primer to dry. Time will tell if I got a good match.

Onto another issue. My centre drop target often doesn't drop when being hit. I read that the return spring shipped typically wasn't tight enough so you either replace it or tighten it by pulling it out further beyond the prong and hooking it onto one of its rings. This 'hack' worked for a bit now it hit a new issue where the drop target will drop by itself either due to vibration in the playfield or by the tension on the spring. I tried reducing the tension by adjusting the spring but it either goes too tight or too loose and now the spring looks a bit nackered...

I tried to contact Stern parts DE but they are unsure of the spring and want a SKU.

Does anyone know the SKU for the spring? It's a blue spring for the centre drop target underneath the Vegeance.

Cheers,

Scott

Onto another issue. My centre drop target often doesn't drop when being hit. I read that the return spring shipped typically wasn't tight enough so you either replace it or tighten it by pulling it out further beyond the prong and hooking it onto one of its rings. This 'hack' worked for a bit now it hit a new issue where the drop target will drop by itself either due to vibration in the playfield or by the tension on the spring. I tried reducing the tension by adjusting the spring but it either goes too tight or too loose and now the spring looks a bit nackered...

Cheers,

Scott
As you progress through the game, it takes more than one hit to knock down the Vengeance drop target. You're not confusing it with this are you?

As you progress through the game, it takes more than one hit to knock down the Vengeance drop target. You're not confusing it with this are you?
Ignore the hilarious slow motion voice!

First shot hits bang on and nothing. Second shot from right flipper and the Vengeance reacts with a hit and drop target reacts.

Its a common issue that was recorded on pinside.com

The mech just needs fine tuning, it’s pretty simple how it works so get your head in there and find the sweet spot where by the target is held in place well enough to NOT be sensitive to vibrations but also can be activated easily by a weak hit from a ball.
The target has a small lip that rests on a lip of the assembly, the target may need standing off slightly so it only just engages with the lip making it easier to knock off.
Might be easier also to remove the whole assembly and work on it out of the machine, clean it up and tweak it until it’s perfect [emoji106]

The mech just needs fine tuning, it’s pretty simple how it works so get your head in there and find the sweet spot where by the target is held in place well enough to NOT be sensitive to vibrations but also can be activated easily by a weak hit from a ball.
The target has a small lip that rests on a lip of the assembly, the target may need standing off slightly so it only just engages with the lip making it easier to knock off.
Might be easier also to remove the whole assembly and work on it out of the machine, clean it up and tweak it until it’s perfect [emoji106]

It's hassle to say the least. I've ordered some replacement springs (best to have stock of these things) from the US.

For now i'll work with the one I have maybe i'll get lucky and get it working...

@Andydn Many thanks for the DMD. It arrived today. Horah I don't need to look at no ugly red lines no more!

PXL_20210512_185129555.jpg

PXL_20210512_185745512.jpg

PXL_20210512_190327705.jpg

Also did some cleaning of the metal around the cab while I had things open.

Before:
PXL_20210511_173721227.jpg

After:

PXL_20210511_183402751.jpg

I attempted to clean the posts but its hard to get at them and I CBA with taking off the rubbers. I've cleaned as much as I could with a que tip cotton bud and some metal polish but nothing worth showing results of.

Lastly I adjusted the spring (again) and it seems better and isn't rejecting hits on the drop down 9/10 times. It now 1 in 10 times however does randomly drop with vibrations from the playfield.

I've ordered some replacement springs. No one in the UK stocks them.

Europe wise Stern DE didn't have them and pinball.centre did but wanted €30 euro in shipping...

Marcospecialities has them so I ordered from there. Still £14 shipping but i'll live with that.

Touch up paint from Halfords was a bit of a hard fail. Closest colour match I could find was a BMW metalic red. It sticks out like a sore thumb so I've removed it. I have another colour arriving in the post which says its candy red, looks pretty close. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom