What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete The Shadow. A light restoration.

A.Pearson

Registered
A few weeks back I picked up my first machine. It came up very locally just as I was seriously looking into pinball so it was meant to be. It needed a small amount of work to make it near enough perfect once more.
Repair the sanctum area.
Couple of replacement plastics.
New rubbers.
Led light kit.
And just a general clean up.
First things first was to strip it down and get the playfield out........some of you sadists enjoy this but it was not the most pleasing task.
A couple of evenings work of carefully laying out all the removed pieces and labelling wiring, and it was set free from it's cab!
Today I took the playfield to work (car body shop) and carefully repaired the sanctum area ready for the sticker to go over it tomorrow, then we get the clear laquer out and give this baby a new lease of life with a fresh few coats of the finest 2 pack laquer we have.
More pics to follow as the work continues.

Attachments

• 20190327_181228.jpg
    20190327_181228.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
Early start this morning to get in the spray booth first before we open the shop for the day. Clear laquer going on right now.

Attachments

• 20190329_072247.jpg
    20190329_072247.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 30
And there we have it, it's like new again..........giving it a week to harden completely then I'll start building it back up.

Attachments

• 20190329_074620.jpg
    20190329_074620.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 32
Like this. Big thanks to Tony for his help and generosity for sending me the sanctum repair decal, completely free of charge. What a guy!

Attachments

• 20190329_081216.jpg
    20190329_081216.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 37
I'll need some playfield protectors before I start using it again for the high wear areas like ball drops off the rails etc. Any recommendations?
I could use clear vinyl stone chip protector film cut to shape that we have here at work, but pre cut squares or circles is nice.

Why are there no clear coat people in Norwich that are into pinball...

About the sanctum area, excuse my lack of knowledge but I believe there are two versions of the overlay, in different colours. Mine is like yours: the grey of the overlay doesn't quite match the grey of the rest of the playfield. Does anyone know if the other overlay matches the playfield colour better? I am only asking in case I one day replace the overlay... Thank you.

About the sanctum area, excuse my lack of knowledge but I believe there are two versions of the overlay, in different colours. Mine is like yours: the grey of the overlay doesn't quite match the grey of the rest of the playfield. Does anyone know if the other overlay matches the playfield colour better? I am only asking in case I one day replace the overlay... Thank you.

I do have the outline and just the writing so it can be printed on clear decal paper. So you can match the grey and then put the decal on

I think the lighter one looks good, makes a feature of the area. Plus it covers the repair which you'll never get the exact shade right and wouldn't look as good with brushed on paint.

Last edited:
Playfield back home and in its cab where it belongs. Whilst it was out I resprayed the black sides inside the cab as there was a little wear where the playfield has been lifted up and down over the years.
Next step is to fit some mylar bubbles where the balls drop off the rails and some strips for other higher wear areas.

Attachments

• 20190330_180341.jpg
    20190330_180341.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190330_180351.jpg
    20190330_180351.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 28
Looking great, crickey if this is a light restoration, god knows what a full blown one would be!

Haha well I consider it a light restoration compared to other stuff I take on in life such as my old cars that I've still not finished after owning for some years!. It's been a pretty straightforward job so far and I'm itching to get it back together for good, especially with all the nice new bits an pieces I've got.........if I'm lucky it'll still work how it did before I took it apart.
If it was a full blown restoration I'd be doing the cab as well but it really doesn't need it as there's only a few small marks on it........but being one of those annoying perfectionists and having a body shop at my disposal, I like to get things perfectly painted so we'll see.

Last edited:
Having done a bit of bodywork/spraying years ago it’s a bit of a curse knowing what you are looking for etc.
Nice job so far.

And we are done! (Except a duff led in a ring)
The led kit from pinball heaven really brings it to life, the rubber kit and star posts from them also have freshened it up.
Must say I'm really pleased with the finished product, it's pretty much good as new. Went round all the legs, stainless trim and gun with autosol to shine them back up too.

Attachments

• 20190403_194732.jpg
    20190403_194732.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190403_210320.jpg
    20190403_210320.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190403_210345.jpg
    20190403_210345.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
Looks lovely you’ve done a great job there. I must admit i’ve Always quite fancied a shadow

I've found it quite addictive, both restoring and playing it. I'm hoping to buy a Tommy for my dad's birthday next year so that'll be my next restoration job.
Get one of these shadows bought before the prices on this somewhat unloved title creep up more.

Getting your 1st pin and then shopping it is a big part of the fun for me seeing it come back to life is a thing of beauty. Here’s to many more now you’re hooked :thumbs:

Did you ever track one down?
I did, just waiting on the chap getting back from being away on business. It's a colossal amount for me to spend but I feel I need to do it, i just know my old man will be over the moon with it.
I can't get too hooked to pinball machines ........i only have so much space and money!

[QUOTE="A.Pearson, post: 294698, member: 3880
I can't get too hooked to pinball machines ........i only have so much space and money!
[/QUOTE]
Yep that’s how it starts!

Back
Top Bottom