What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2019 UK Open Game List And How to Play Them (ish)

J

James

David Brent Pinball Guru
A loose follow up to my previous post on how to fake it at pinball tournaments, this guide will show you how to score at least some points in games.

The 2019 UK Open Game List And How to Play Them (ish)

Continue reading...

My personal strategies which seem to work for me.

TZ - Powerball is the way to go

AFM and MM - same game essentially, same strategy - start MB then bash the Saucer/Castle followed by Total Annihilation/Madness MBs

Met - captive ball for Coffin MB, Snake for Snake MB, and drops for Grave MB. Need to get to CIU for decent points.

IM - Stack 2 MBs with Fast Scoring (from standups) and/or Bogey (ramps) Start War Machine after you've raised Monger.

CftBL - Right orbit/scoop followed by ramps for big scoring, or consecutive left ramps followed by centre shot for combo scoring. If you're feeling really confident go for the countdown scoring bug which starts from 10 BILLION

TSPP - keep the timer topped up - takes a maximum of 2 shots, play modes.

GotG - concentrate on 4 modes, to get to Cherry Bomb MB. Quill locks you out of making progress towards any MBs

Shadow - loop combo for BIG pts, or Battlefield over and over.

TNA - lock all day, and if you don't know what to shoot, shoot the lock.

Earthshaker - Ramp, ramp, ramp, ramp, ramp, ....

BSD - Thirrrty Million

IMDn - take a mode into one of the 2 easy MBs, then focus on completing Power Jackpots for Cyborg MB. Combos/loops/deathblows all worth good points.

DI - get Big Bang lit before starting a mode. Spend the rest of the game trying to collect the Sim Card.

AcDc - Song choices most important - Hells Bells, War Machine, or RnR Train, depending on your strategy.

CV - left loop or Ringmaster all day.

JY - I agree, video mode - if you don't get super skill shot.

DH - shoot lit badges to light MB

BF - ??

Generally very solid strats there Wayne - your punching weight is higher than mine certainly but I would offer the following alternatives...

TZ - Use the two ramps all day, as they allow you to constantly safely trigger modes and they set up the gumball machine (and therefore powerball + mania multi.) The game is all about staying safe with your shots and maximizing your safe feeds. Left ramp is a feed to the left flipper, which itself is the ideal place to make the shot for the right ramp, which either gets you onto the mini playfield if qualified (which also starts a mode if you win it!) or the ball diverter sets you up for an easy shot at the piano.
If you end up going around the orbit to the upper right flipper or the ball goes there from a missed piano shot, hold the left flippers up to make the shot at the camera a bit easier. The camera shot even if not lit is usually a safer feed to the right flipper than trying to catch it from the orbit.
Ignore the skill shot unless the 10mil square is still unlit and you're coming close to lighting all mode squares, as the rocket shot feeds to the pop bumpers which is unsafe - it's not worth 10 million on a skill shot for an unsafe return.
In short... from the right flipper, use left ramp to feed to left flipper. From left flipper, either the right ramp, or the right orbit for gumball shots - or the lock shot by the right ramp only if lit. Don't attempt any other shot in the game.
Ideal scoring situations are multiball jackpots, or being in multiball when Greed, Clock Chaos or Clock Millions are active - and of course Lost in the Zone which is not unreasonable to see with this strategy and if you can reliably trap the ball on the right flipper from the slot machine kickout.

BSD - Stacked multiball is how you win for sure, but to clarify if you're trying to win as safely as possible, you should not attempt any shot except for the left ramp by default. Shoot that thing all day and you can trigger enough to avoid having to actually make any other shot including the risky standup stargets. Only shoot coffin, video and mode sinkhole when something relevant is lit.

TNA - sweat more, move more. Be more aware of your inlane/outlane lamps than you ever have been on a game before.

CftBL - it's way more important to be aware of the multiball playfield multiplier bug than anything else - though if you aren't expecting to be able to get to multiball more than once, admittedly this won't matter to you - https://papa.org/2014/03/bugging-the-creature/
OF COURSE - this and the 10B snackbar bug are all moot points if the TD is running the bugfix ROM

Last edited:
Feel free, however I do not take responsibility if you try those strategies and get knocked out 😂

>GotG - concentrate on 4 modes, to get to Cherry Bomb

Given that I own one, and based on this advice, I think those strategies may be for the slightly more advanced player (I get to Cherry Bomb, but not often enough to call it a strategy!)

Given that I own one, and based on this advice, I think those strategies may be for the slightly more advanced player (I get to Cherry Bomb, but not often enough to call it a strategy!)
I was going to say, leave Quill for last mode to ensure you maximise the 10% hurryup score, and ensure you have shot multipliers lit going into SX - that would have been advanced strategy. I've posted, what I believe, the maximum scoring strategy on my YouTube Channel (WWJ Pinball).

a) Don't tilt away your bonus like last year when you're only a few points behind

I only tilted twice and both times was when I was way behind, so worth a go. I got quite a lot of dangers though!

b) Don't be up first on Sunday morning

Big tick for this one :)

c) Place higher than my son

Um, erm, um. I guess two out of three isn't bad.

I think it was a fairly bad weekend for all on the 'Finishing ahead of your kids' front, though really proud of how well he played

Back
Top Bottom