What's new

Testing a sound board in the wrong machine

DrPinball

Registered
I'm fixing a sound board for @Mooseman but I don't have access to the original machine (Dr Who). I do have a White Water, which uses the same type of board - as I can't be bothered moving over the ROMs, can anyone comment on what happens if I try to put DW board in WW. Will I get nothing, or should I hear sounds albeit for the wrong machine?

Not tried it with WPC but i would have thought you would get the wrong sounds.

Be interesting to know whether seeing checksum error whether it will turn it all off or not

You'll get a checksum error and >1 bong but its fine. Just mismatched sounds.

Tried this with a FT board with TZ CPU.

Tim

Tried this a few weeks back. Sound’s gone on my FT, pressed chips, seated cables, 9v battery on speakers, got continuity, so I put BR sound board in thinking if I got some sound, any sound, it’d point to the board. Didn’t get any sound & the DMD went all scrambly.
OK. What if I put The FT sound board into another FT? Know a bloke a couple of miles away with one, he’s actually got 7 pins, all with faults, that haven’t been played/fixed, for as long as I’ve known him. Fortunately I knew his FT only needs a belt for the reel.
Went over, stuck it in & his display went all scrambly. No sound tho’. Took it out quick as I didn’t want his machine fooked.
Need to get my backside in gear & get the board inspected.

In answer to my own query, put DW sound board in my WW. Got the 'bong', got 'yang, yang's but didn't look at the screen. Started a game and got DW music playing. Result.

Back
Top Bottom