What's new

Complete Taxi

Wizards_Hat

Registered
A few months ago I was loaned a Taxi.
It was in a bit of a tired way - anyone who came to mine in the Northern League this season played it when I'd only rebuilt the flippers (& gave a it quick wipe over & wax before the meet).

Anyway, I thought it would be a nice gesture to the loaner for me to shop the machine for him (no idea how long I'll have it for...already been 6 months or so).

I didn't post anything up before it was finished as I was slightly concerned about messing something up, with it not being my machine, & wanted to be able to put it all right before the owner knew what I'd done! :D

Basically, I entirely stripped the playfield, flatted a few raised inserts, Treasure Cove'd it & thoroughly waxed it.
The cabinet was cleaned out - including a light sanding on the bare wood inside; all the metal parts were removed to be cleaned/polished.
All playfield parts were cleaned/polished, and then the machine rebuilt with new rubbers & bulbs throughout.
A few parts were replaced (odd bits like coil brackets that had snapped/been welded or were just plain wrong, warped pop-bumper caps etc). All ball shooter parts were replaced apart from the plunger itself.

I took plenty of tear-down pics & a log of everything I removed (including number & sizes of screws/bolts/posts etc).

A few pics here (assuming these flikr links work):
Before:
2013-06-23 21.50.59.jpg

2013-07-08 21.39.57.jpg
...and then after...
2013-07-14 20.56.18.jpg

2013-07-23 17.37.00.jpg

2013-07-24 19.19.04.jpg

...and I did get some help...
2013-07-25 17.15.29.jpg
Finished job :)
2013-07-25 20.12.50.jpg

2013-07-25 20.13.05.jpg

Good work Wizards_Hat, I'm not sure the etiquette when it comes to borrowing machines but I hope it's something like you have demonstrated here. Want to borrow my Getaway next? :>)

I've always found posting links to Flickr pictures to be a bit of a pain in the ass. To get it working you need to click on the share button and then select 'Grab the HTML/BBCode' option. If you look in that code there will be a URL that mentions the actual name of the .JPG file. Simply cut the whole URL and then use the 'Insert Image' option in the editor to paste it in place.

To be honest when I need to post images I just download them from Flickr and then use the upload image button.

Nice work on the Taxi though - looks really good. :)

Good work Wizards_Hat, I'm not sure the etiquette when it comes to borrowing machines but I hope it's something like you have demonstrated here. Want to borrow my Getaway next? :>)

Yeah it's an odd one with borrowing machines to know what to do/not to do - I generally try to keep them cleaned & waxed, replace burnt out bulbs & fix anything that breaks on them whilst I have them...but as for shopping them out...erm...odd one really. People obviously trust me enough with their machines to lend them to me,but if I told them I'd completely taken it apart...and something goes wrong?!?!
I did it with Taxi as the guy who owns it really hasn't got the time, or the skill, to do it so I know (hope!) he'll appreciate it.

Tbh if someone asked me to look after one of their machines so that I'd specifically shop it out I think that'd be a fair enough swap - I get to play the machine & when they get it back it's looking pretty...only problem is the time - I've been wanting to do Taxi since it arrived in January & only got the time in the last month or so...plus with work/kids/life etc it took over a month to get it done. The wife did baulk a bit when she asked how much I'd spent doing this - I reckoned it was about £50 all in (including everything such as half a bottle of Novus & 3/4 of a tube of Autosol :))...however, she was fine when I pointed out that that meant it'd cost me about £2 a week to own a Taxi for 6 months (a game I love!).

Regards,
Dan.

Nice gesture that mate. You'll have peeps queuing to lend you machines. I'm waiting on the delivery of my CPR replacement pf for my taxi. I've also got new decals so should be able to make a nice example.

Spoke to the owner today & he's cool for it to be taken to the Party next week - so it will be there for all to see :)
(He was also chuffed to bits with what I'd done...total surprise to him as I'd not mentioned I was going to do anything with it).

Regards,
Dan.

Back
Top Bottom