What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Tales of the Arabian Nights

Andypc

Site Supporter
Shortly after Pinfest last year I took the plunge on a project Tales of the Arabian Nights. I took a bit of a chance as the machine was in pieces when I got it as the seller had stripped it down with the intention of doing a full restore, but didn't have the time to complete it. These are a few of the original pictures:-
DSCF1730.jpgDSCF1734.jpg
20190827_172925.jpg101571724_275038226956227_1486427798200385536_n.jpg

Last edited:
The next challenge was getting a really nice playfield to install. Unfortunately the first couple had issues, but I was fortunate to get a really nice one from Mirco. It's not every day you see a line up like this:-
View attachment 109542
A bit flash - 4 TOTAN playfields!

Are they all original playfields? Any of these you're looking to move on?

One on the right you can see the Mirco logo, it’s not as warm looking as the others. Girl looks paler and golds too but that might just be the way the pic was taken.
Four playfields is pretty impressive!
Nice project, good luck with it. Love to have one of these one day.

One on the right you can see the Mirco logo, it’s not as warm looking as the others. Girl looks paler and golds too but that might just be the way the pic was taken.
Four playfields is pretty impressive!
Nice project, good luck with it. Love to have one of these one day.
The two on the left were from CPR, but had ghosting and colour issues. the next one in the picture is the original playfield and the one on the right is from Mirco. The Mirco one was much closer to the original colours. That picture doesn't really show the difference. Below is a picture of the CPR and Mirco side by side:-
20191016_114611.jpg

Last edited:
The two on the left were from CPR, but had ghosting and colour issues. the next one in the picture is the original playfield and the one on the right is from Mirco. The Mirco one was much closer to the original colours. That picture doesn't really show the difference. Below is a picture of the CPR and Mirco side by side:-

Yeah looks much better in that pic👍
Very nice work on the restore, beautiful.

It all looks really nice - looking at your pics - must get the decals sorted on mine.

Also like your ramps - they look cleaner without the decals on them.

The base of your rotating lamp is a different colour to mine looks nice - is it a mod?

Obvs I’ve got the PIN2DMD installed in mine! Works pretty well, looks nice.

Did you replace all the switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It all looks really nice - looking at your pics - must get the decals sorted on mine.

Also like your ramps - they look cleaner without the decals on them.

The base of your rotating lamp is a different colour to mine looks nice - is it a mod?

Obvs I’ve got the PIN2DMD installed in mine! Works pretty well, looks nice.
They are new ramps and do have the decals installed.
The purple lamp base is available from Planetary Pinball

Did you replace all the switches?
Some, but not all.

Looks incredible, really nice job!

I'm interested in the logistics of your replacement playfields as it looks like you've had a try a few before you were happy. Did CPR take the first 2 back without any hassle? Presumably you bought one, they sent a replacement, then you gave up on them and went for the Mirco?

I must say that both CPR and Mirco were incredibly helpful. I have had amazing playfields from both CPR and Mirco. That being said making playfields is not straight forward and there can be issues with playfields. I have actually had issues with both CPR and Mirco playfields, but importantly the customer service from both was great and they have either refunded or replace them.
With Totan the first CPR playfield actually came with the machine, but had developed ghosting, but could possibly have been down to how it had been stored. I bought another one from CPR, but it had issues with bubbles in the inserts and the colours not being quite right. Kevin from CPR was great in trying to resolve the issue, but the other playfield they had ready had the same issue so offered a refund.
Unlike most games this playfield was available from both CPR and Mirco, so I was fortunate.
I ordered a playfield from Mirco and when it arrived I was over the moon as it looked perfect. Then I laid it down and was disappointed to find that it was badly warped. You could put a ball on it and it would rock back and forth for ages.
Again Mirco was really helpful and allowed me to return it and shipped a replacement, which was perfect.
Long story, but the important part is that I would happily recommend both CPR and Mirco as they were both really helpful in resolving the problems.

Thanks Andy that's really helpful. I'm probably going to end up sourcing a new PF for my Whirlwind and so was looking at both CPR and Mirco (although it looks like they are gone from CPRs website now so I only have one option).
But reading lots of forum posts (here and Pinside) about quality and customer service issues with both companies is a bit worrying, when given the high cost of these things. I've read a bit about clearcoat pooling on the Mirco fields, and wonder whether its safe to assume that this problem no longer exists.

It is reassuring to hear that Mirco has dealt with this well for you.

I've dealt with CPR a number of time as well and they've been incredibly helpful. Top quality playfields too, although yet to install mine.

I have not had any issues with pooling, but always leave the playfields to air for at least a few months before installing them.

Well done on your TOTAN it really does look awesome.
Out of curiosity, what causes the bubbles within the inserts anyone?

Well done on your TOTAN it really does look awesome.
Out of curiosity, what causes the bubbles within the inserts anyone?

I believe it’s usually heat. I’ve heard a failed TIP can keep the incandescent lamp on, creating heat through the insert. Then the overlay can bubble with the resulting heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom