What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF - THING LED board mod (to use ColorDMD LCD)

Durzel

Registered
Hi all,

There's a guy on Pinside who looks to have created a pretty slick THING LED board to allow a ColorDMD LCD to be fitted in its normal position (thus allowing the back panel to be opened without dropping the speaker panel).

I've got a provisional order in, thought I'd pass it along to anyone else who might be interested.

EDIT: Don't know why I thought he was in Europe. He's in the States.

Last edited:
Hi all,

There's a guy on Pinside (in Europe) who looks to have created a pretty slick THING LED board to allow a ColorDMD LCD to be fitted in its normal position (thus allowing the back panel to be opened without dropping the speaker panel).

I've got a provisional order in, thought I'd pass it along to anyone else who might be interested.
I adapted the original using SMD LEDs (one leg to each board contact), but this is a much neater and more plug’n’play approach. Those inserts are much better with a light source behind them!

Does it play nicely with OCD?
EDIT: if he creates the ghosting filter he describes then probably not. Maybe he can make that anti ghosting function an optional jumper? Gives everyone what they might need.

Good spot. I would definitely want it minus any anti-ghosting tomfoolery, as I also have LED OCD.

Please forgive my ignorance but I thought that the colour dmd LCD didn’t need the light board as the display shows white box’s behind thing?
See
tnt video go to about 2.50 onwards?
Unless this is for the colour dmd led?

Please forgive my ignorance but I thought that the colour dmd LCD didn’t need the light board as the display shows white box’s behind thing?
See
tnt video go to about 2.50 onwards?
Unless this is for the colour dmd led?
The old ColorDMD did that, but it didn’t work very well (it was dim) so they abandoned that system some time ago. The current version (at least a year or more) instructions get you to install it above the THING light board, and configure the display vertical alignment down.

It’s a shame Pindora Box hasn’t done these yet, bet as soon as we get these they come out!
I do like the black boards though and he is going to sell them cheap which helps with shipping.

Yeah, he seems to be doing them at pretty much cost.

Since the LEDs are soldered on, I'm tempted to buy two boards.

Yeah, he seems to be doing them at pretty much cost.

Since the LEDs are soldered on, I'm tempted to buy two boards.

am hoping to have upwards of 10 coming, plus some for people in EU... Will try to plan so there are also some spares for future....

am hoping to have upwards of 10 coming, plus some for people in EU... Will try to plan so there are also some spares for future....
I’ve asked him for 2 but could add to your order if it helps with shipping and if you don’t mind forwarding on etc.

just heard from Robert, via pin side as I expressed interest anyone else heard anything? @Paul did we ever get anywhere with the combined shipping?
Thanks Tony

Yup just had a pm from him...
So as he is doing these at cost, I will be also. He has quoted $17 each plus shipping...

I will finalise arrangements on these and get back to you all ASAP....

In the meantime if you HAVENT already contacted him direct, and want one, please post below. I am guessing these will come in around £25 after shipping, but can confirm exactly once I get shipping costs.. (which will be based on amount ordered!!)

Cheers
Paul

Yup just had a pm from him...
So as he is doing these at cost, I will be also. He has quoted $17 each plus shipping...

I will finalise arrangements on these and get back to you all ASAP....

In the meantime if you HAVENT already contacted him direct, and want one, please post below. I am guessing these will come in around £25 after shipping, but can confirm exactly once I get shipping costs.. (which will be based on amount ordered!!)

Cheers
Paul
Paul
Please put me in for one warm white
Alan Adair

Last edited:
I’m going direct, as I already had an order in.

Make sure you specify whether you want warm or cool white.

I’m going direct, as I already had an order in.

Make sure you specify whether you want warm or cool white.
Me too but he hasn’t been in touch yet, should be on his list. Will send him a reminder just in case.
Warm white for me.

I messaged him to see what was going on as I thought he was sending out paypal invoices and he said he is still trying to finalize whether or not they will have someone in the UK that is going to be a distributor for them. I guess this is you @Paul?

I haven’t even got a colour dmd but I might one day so if still time add me too plz paul.

Right... We need a list.....

So... For those that want one, please Copy and paste the below and add yourself to the end with the number you want.... EVEN IF YOU HAVE ALREADY REQUESTED DIRECTLY FROM ROB (Want to make sure i capture everyone in one hit!)

I will close this list on Saturday 23:59 and order the required number from Rob.

FORUM NAME - NUMBER
Paul - 2

Back
Top Bottom