What's new

TAF - the one that got away

As an operator back in the late 80s and early 90s, no games saved pinball but certain ones gave it a new lease of life. Earlier some had threatened to, ie: middle earth and Space invaders, and haunted house but they never really r- gained player base. The first one to do this was Elvira and the Party Monsters, in 1989 but in reality 1990 before it was on the floor of UK arcades. Then others kept it going an just as the pins were starting to struggle off bang TAF came along and took it to another level. I think its been mentioned elsewhere in the thread but as an operator the only way to measure was cash box take and it was (and still is ) in a different league. After that others were just not as popular when up against it. TAF kept going for a long time. Twilight Zone was meat to be as 'the next big one' (and was priced accordingly) but it was simply not as popular, Indiana Jones performed better than Twilight zone (and again still does). I kept pins on sight as long as i could, and the last one I sold was TAF, and probably be the same if I sold them all again. Other operators may have a different recollection of the time though. Games in order of cashbox this year, TAF, Indiana Jones Twilight Zone, Fishtales, T2. oh and TAF has been off for longer then the others. Going to leave the video game debate for now.

No, it wasn't just you. For a while nearly every location/punter wanted one. I even recall a film reviewer on London's GLR mentioning later on that she'd noticed (while 'back home' in Canada) that "all the Terminator 2 pinballs have been replaced by Jurassic Park ones" when discussing the latter

I have a memory of T2 being a big deal as a kid but it may have just been me

T2 was my gateway pin into this madness. Our local dive pub had one when it came out, and boy we hammered it for months and months. Good times.

When I finally got owned one I tired of it very quickly. I think I just knew it *too* well and it seemed much more limited in home use. I still love to play it though when I come across one :thumbs:

Having fun with a theme people get. being able to set challenges (ala pinballarcade) great music. Hence why my Ghostbusters is the most used machine at events by a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone know how much taf were when they were new? Tried to find it on the Internet but never managed to find it? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom