What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TAF sound board problem

Nilos

Registered
Alias
Danilos
Hello everyone,
I was playing last night and at some point the sound got stuck on a constant non stop one pitch level noise.
I turned off the pinball and turned it back on.
The first error that came up was something like 'interface error'.
So I powered the pinball off again, checked all the connections, re-seated the cables and checked the ROMs to make sure nothing had come lose.
Turned it back on, it said to check the test report and the picture shows the error.
Tried again to check connections and ROMs, but the error is still the same.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 13
Can anyone suggest a good soldering iron and a good desoldering tool for removing capacitors from the boards.
The one I have is ok for soldering wires but not good enough for working on circuit boards with small soldering points.
For the desoldering tool, I have seen one that desolders by vibrating whilst heating that I think would work really well, like this one at 4:47 in the video:
I appreciate this type of work needs practicing, but I can do some on old boards, I have some to do tests.
Any recommendations, please.

That noise you hear is the suction pump and any ’vibration’ is just the user moving the nozzle to get all solder melted and sucked up/ removed
Hello @BigIan, I see, I thought that was vibrating and pushing the leg out whilst heating it up.
Ok, I get there are all quite standard then, either the pump it separate or it's built with the heating tool.
It's more clear now. Thank you

Once I bought a desolder station, I realised how much they help and make jobs safer for what you are working on. The old boards are delicate and I never could get enough solder off with a sucker.
I also have a heat gun to warm the last bits of solder to reduce the application of a solder iron.

Thank you guys.
I used the solering iron for years for simple jobs here and there. I've had the awkward experience many times to try and desolder or solder something tiny on compact/modern boards and failed miserably many times.
Athough I don't think I will be using it very often, when the time comes without the right tools it's impossible to do a job.
I guess regular practice also helps, but I think a good desoldering station will be very useful.
Thank you,

I do not need a desoldering station to change caps on a pinball board.

A good sucker is ample.

I purchased one of these off amazon:

Also bought one for the other engineer I share my workshop with.

BEST HAND DESOLDER TOOL I HAVE USED IN 30+ YEARS

For a proper mains powered sucker I got thru 3 of those cheap desolder stations. I got the hakker and it poops over the other ones - but I use this for IC removal only.

Hakko is another good manufacturer of soldering equipments. Go for one of the established providers, will last you a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom