What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck in Rhodes

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Eldest daughter Scarlet tested positive today. greek official doctor came tonight and took a PCR test, now we gotta wait 24 hrs for the result. all 4 of us forced into isolation in our hotel rooms.

She’s shown all the symptoms for about a week, regular Lat flow tests were neg until today.

Looks like we’re going to be here for another few days? week? 10 days? who knows. We may get carted off to an isolation hotel

What a ballache

Sorry to hear it. My daughter was taken to Greece by a friend’s family and I spent 10 days dreading her being diagnosed as positive and being unable to fly back. Had visions of paying thousands to fly over and stay in an isolation hotel with her.

The LFTs aren’t great several people I work with were diagnosed positive on the PCRs but consistently came back negative on the LFTs.

Hope she makes a quick recovery.

Wow what a bummer, I hope she gets well and you can all return home soon. I wondered what happens in this scenario, is any of it covered by insurance or looked after by travel agent?

She’s improving thanks.

Phoned my travel insurance, they basically won’t do anything until we have proof of a positive pcr test, they don’t take a lat flow as meaning anything. They did say that whoever can go home should go home, but i’d have to stay as Scarlet is under 18.

Hotel reception have been great, got a nice room service breakfast and now they have just rung to see how we are and to let me know the Doctor will be back with the pcr result at approx 7pm. hmm what to do for the next 7 hours.

Sorry to hear it. My daughter was taken to Greece by a friend’s family and I spent 10 days dreading her being diagnosed as positive and being unable to fly back. Had visions of paying thousands to fly over and stay in an isolation hotel with her.

The LFTs aren’t great several people I work with were diagnosed positive on the PCRs but consistently came back negative on the LFTs.

Hope she makes a quick recovery.
The problem with the LFT's aren't necessarily the tests themselves, rather that the individuals take the samples themselves, and often do it wrong (not saying that's necessarily the case here).
It's not just a gentle wipe through the nostrils, the swab really does need to go up far enough that it's uncomfortable bordering on painful - hard to do to yourself unless you're a masochist :oops:

The ****storm gets worse.

all day holed up in our hotel rooms. finally get the result for Scarlet at 17:45 positive as expected. what next i ask the hotel?

We have to wait for the Greek c19 gestapo dept to call us. it could be anytime. they decide who can go home out of our party or if we all need to stay. they also decide if we stay in the current hotel or go off to their Colditz isolation hotel at the airport.

It’s now after 22:00 here, still no call after over 4 more hours.
i found out they carted off a teenage lad and his parents last night in the middle of the night!!!! ffs.

Worst still, I’ve also been told it is 10 days isolation from result day, ie today. So We’re looking at being released 16th Aug earliest.

I feel like hopping on an asylum seekers boat and sailing to the next country.

Aww crap - sorry to hear this @AlanJ

We cancelled our hols to Tenerife last week (should have been going next week) because the cost of the additional testing was just rediculous (Living in England it's anywhere from £75 upwards from one of hundreds of suppliers - Here in Wales it's ONE supplier (who supply via the NHS) and it's £175 per person. Then what with concerns around same scenario as the above, along with if something goes amber-red etc... Just not worth the potential pain.

Shame really as I'm desparate for some sun and a pool... this wind and rain is doing my fruit in :(

Hope it sorts itself out soon Alan and Hope all the family stay safe 👍

this is why i'm going to great yarmouth rather than gran canaria! :D

just make sure that the rest of you don't become covid dominos and you end up being stuck there for weeks (happened to a guy at work).

Neil.

It now 6:30 am Sat 7th. Still no word from the Greek c19 emergency response team. So the good news is we didn’t get hauled out of the hotel in the middle of the night. Bad news is we’re still in limbo not knowing what’s happening.

I’ll call hotel reception in an hour or so, to see if they’ve heard any news. Today is our returning home day, so hoping I can get Clare and my other daughter out on the flight as planned.

9:30 now and still no news. Got the Mark Warner holidays Manager at the resort on the case. He’s just told me that it’s almost impossible for him to get info out of the greek c19 response team, they just run at their own pace in their own way, they’ll probably just turn up out of the blue, or at short notice. He’s trying to get an update from them about us and the 2 other affected families here at our resort.

nightmare continues.

good luck with it all. Fingers crossed at least a couple of you get to fly back today. Hope you’ve got lots of good books packed to kill time.

id get Claire and your other daughter in a taxi to the airport dood and do a manyana if they ask about them

Neil.

Agree with Neil on this one, they’ve given you no reason to think they can’t leave, despite having the info at their disposal. Get them to do a lateral flow, photo the result and send to airport in masks, you’ve done your due diligence.

The greek rules are once you’ve been told to quarantine, you cannot leave your room, so much as i’d like to, we can’t do that.

mgr here thinks both daughters will be quarantined.

last coach to airport leaves at 13:00, so 2 hours to go.

still no word from the gestapo.

shiit show just got shiiitier

So how long until you start getting kind offers from folk on here to buy X,Yor Z machine off you at knock down prices to “help out with the unexpected costs”? 😉

There’s not too much you can do about it all.

The greek rules are once you’ve been told to quarantine, you cannot leave your room, so much as i’d like to, we can’t do that.

mgr here thinks both daughters will be quarantined.

last coach to airport leaves at 13:00, so 2 hours to go.

still no word from the gestapo.

shiit show just got shiiitier

i would try and get them on that coach for sure.

The danger of them staying is the domino effect. Suddenly your other daughter gets a positive test and the clock resets, then Claire or you test positive and so on. Just by having less of you there you cut that risk. I dread to think what the Greek Covid Gulag hotel will be like.

Not that I would condone it but I'd be booking flights asap and leaving as quick as possible.

no chance. as soon as you report a c19 case they ask for your PLF number. that has all the passport numbers on it.

i’ve had to email proof of clares vaccination status through to allow her to leave. she’s got through passport control

it’s the other daughter that’s non vaccinated that they’re isolating that’s their main concern as she’s not vaccinated. so we’re holed up in one room in colditz now. scarlet in a room if her own as she’s positive.

7-14 days.

i’ve got to await a further email from gestapo high command telling us how long. looks like 7 days then take an expensive pcr test and get away if neg, otherwise full 14 days.

Rip off doctor at the holiday hotel €250 for a single pcr test. ffs.

looks like we’re here for at least another week zzz

someone I know was stuck in a hotel room with no wi-fi for 14 days forced isolation,she said it has put her off going abroad ever again,cost her and her partner about an extra 5 grand by the time they eventually got home

Sorry, but are we actually advocating, after (probably) having prolonged, extremely close contact to another person with a positive C-19 case, sneaking out of a country against the rules, via an airport, getting on a plane (with others, potentially elderly and immune defficient), travelling back home, going through another airport etc. etc etc.

There will be risks with airport travel, going away etc. that are par for the course with C-19 in circulation, that's one thing and whilst I feel for Alan, I am sure him and his family had war gamed what if? Unfortunately the what if has happened.

the plane going home is going to be full of covid. no joke. One of scarlets friends she hung out with on holiday was dripping with a ‘cold’ earlier in the week. she miraculously passed her lat flow test 2 days ago - (yep her dad faked the results). she’s on the plane now.

it’s just crazy. under 11’s had no tests to get into greece, so some snotty nosed kid probably brought it anyway. then Mark Warner holidays stick a ton of youngsters together for a week or 2 playing games and activities etc. then the teenagers go out boozing in kolombia town and faleraki in large groups. - disaster waiting to happen. I sort of knew this was gonna happen.

only got myself to blame.

On the plus side, time with my girls. 👍

I'm with James on this. These are the known risks with holidaying abroad during a global pandemic. It sucks that it happened, but you have to play by the rules. It's dickheads that think the rules don't apply to them that spread this thing around even more, risk creating another new variant and prolonging this **** for even longer and causing untold thousands of more deaths.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing Alan. Stay in your room. Enjoy the room service. Find a good book to read!

If you are consistently testing negative (which is what Alan said) then the risk is no more than the other folks on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am sure you could quite quickly disprove that assumption with Bayes theroem, but i think logically we can all dismiss it without the need to get into all that.

To replay your logic.

You are saying likelyhood of transmission from someone with a negative test (assumptively lateral flow with a much lower confidence interval than PCR) after a known exposure is the same as everyone else on the plane, who by the rules would be self isolating if they had been in direct contact with a known case.

To the consistently point, you usually test negative until positive right, that's all about viral load - this is about proximity to a known positive.

you might be right if we were talking about probability more than risk! ;)

Hey. i was right. 😀😀

We ARE in Colditz albeit’s combined with The Hotel California. it’s a frigging nightmare. Food was inedible. even the bread was rank. room is like a fawlty towers set. it was probably ok as a hotel in 1974, actually probably not thinking about it. It would make a good prison drama tv set.

I tried to get us moved. Nope.(i can leave but the kids are stuck here now) I asked for better food. nope (but i can put in an order tomorrow to the local shop) i asked for water. yes but order in the morning and pay up front. WTAF. an asylum seeker would get better treatment.

Oh and we’re in a hotel nearish to the runway end. so flights coming into land are pretty low and noisy over us.

On arrival you are given a govt email address and asked to email them with name and passport no. they will then tell you how long your prison sentence is for. Of course i’ve had no reply and i guess it’s gonna take days. worse still it’s a bank holiday here monday.

no idea what surprises tomorrow will bring ……

oh and no pinball machines in the room. how can i function 😂😂

"On arrival you are given a govt email address and asked to email them with name and passport no."

So they knew nothing about you really. You could have absconded ;)

If its anything like what was on radio 4 the other day you'll be there 10-14 days...

Back
Top Bottom