What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck Balls

Godzilla

Registered
Hi folks,

Very new to Pinball, last time I played was a kid when they were fairly common place in pubs and arcades and I recall it just being about high scores tbh, but we’re going back to the late 70’s there lol!

I have the Hobbit (as some may know if you spotted my ‘wanted’ thread when I joined), sold my first machine LOTR here on the forum this week, which I must confess I didn’t have long but did play it quite a lot (until the Hobbit landed). It got me wanting the new tech JJ offer as I really craved the modern tech integration into the old mechanical world of pinball.

So, forgive the waffle....my question to the long term players/owners and particularly fellow hobbits is it normal for the balls to go out of play , I have had quite a few glass off stuck balls and it’s so frustrating, yet presumably nature of the beast, yes?

The Hobbit is a stunning game visually, utterly engaging and the theme incredible, a real adventure each play and those of my friends/family who have seen it are equally impressed! It’s exhausting mind I’ll say that lol!

From my experience not really, can’t remember the last time a ball got stuck somewhere that the glass had to come off to continue.
But I only have older games.
Maybe you need some plastics to stop air balls if that’s what’s causing it.

@Colywobbles and his whizz bang laser cutter have been working hard to stop this issue on a number of machines (air balls, not necessarily stuck balls) . Might be worth taking a few pics of the area in question and see if he has any ideas?

I have a hobbit and I have no issues with balls.
Where are they sticking.
Some of the earlier models had issues with the guides on the wire form ramp etc. And the balls coming off the ramps and getting trapped.
If you have it pitched incorrectly you will also get air balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the hobbit I played in the states last year had the wire form ramp issue,the only way to free it was to hit the left flipper constantly until it came unstuck,annoying to say the least

On one occasion only it got stuck on Smaug, he turned trying to free it but stuck fast. Glass off!

Attached pic shows where I have had 3 balls stuck since, r/h side of the Playfield mid way. Mine is the last edition Black Arrow so all early lessons learnt me hopes!

Attachments

• 64C73861-AECB-46C6-84A0-D3FAED42FD9B.jpeg
    64C73861-AECB-46C6-84A0-D3FAED42FD9B.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 76
see if you can re-route that cable, looks like the ball is hang on it.

Neil is correct.
Cut the tyrap and route the cable to the front of the post, the ball will then pass behind the post.
Is the ball dropping off the wireframe or air balling across from the dwarf drop targets to get there?

I can see where that could be a problem on site and it’s happened to me once or twice as I have TH too.
But it’s happened so infrequently it has not bothered me enough to sort something.
If it really is causing you a ton of grief I can look into maybe whipping up a clear plastic in some form or other to sort it for you.
Just gimmie shout
Col

Thanks all, I shall have a closer look tomorrow, don’t think it’s the wire but I’ll report back.

I can see where that could be a problem on site and it’s happened to me once or twice as I have TH too.
But it’s happened so infrequently it has not bothered me enough to sort something.
If it really is causing you a ton of grief I can look into maybe whipping up a clear plastic in some form or other to sort it for you.
Just gimmie shout
Col

Thanks Col, I must be unlucky in less than 2 weeks it’s happened 3 times.
I blame Smaug and his multi balls!

see if you can re-route that cable, looks like the ball is hang on it.
Neil thanks so much I think you were spot on it looks like it was the cable tie, I’ve just spun it round and now the ball passes. Time will tell but looking good! Cheers (and thanks to all who replied).

Ball stuck on my TH the other nite.. Glass off!

Yep had that on mine too but on the other side of Smaug! only once mind during multiball - the popups also scare the sh1te out of me when they launch balls full pelt at the glass lol. I keep checking for chips and cracks but so far we're ok!

No more stuck balls from the OP mind.

Talking of stuck balls, just had this on my Space Jam. Never had one on the apron before but have had a lot of air balls since servicing the flippers...85A86F1B-AC84-4201-8C18-39EA943F41DE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom