What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STTNG Resetting issue

Optimus Prime

Registered
Hi Guys, bought this a few weeks back and having an issue since the move from the previous owners house to my own. I know the issue wasnt there before as i know the guy i bought it from!

Anyways, when playing a game its rebooting when both flipper buttons are pressed together during gameplay.

It happens during gameplay only, not during the attract mode.

Ive change the extension power strip i have it plugged into, and always lightly sand the connections on the boards behind the flipper buttons inside the pin. No joy.

Some days it doesnt happen, its fine. But most times it does. also every second or third time its powered up its flipping the switch for the downstairs sockets in the fuse box when its powered on .

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!!

Search on here for resets. Loads and loads of threads about it mate. All have the same sort of stock reply

Check all backbox board screws are tight
Reseat ribbons
Check all connectors are pushed in fully
Reseat power in of cpu board connector , black n grey cables
Check plug breaks near transformer
Then if still happening try disconnecting dmd then retry
Then try and measure the 5v into the cpu board

I sold this to optimus.
It did reset on me but it was once in a blue moon.
Also tripped my rcd sometimes.
Will you open the power box and check there is a mov fitted ? If not I have some.
I bought that game dead.it was set to 110v and was plugged into 220v.
I'm sure I replaced the mov but worth a look.

Edit.it didn't trip the rcd.but the mcb

Last edited:
Ah. Not to worry. I’ll run through the fixes and try sort it out. It could be the stupid wiring in my house for all I know. Some days it works great and I can play it for hours. I’ll try each fix and see what happens.

Thanks for all the reply’s !

P.s. mirror blades on the way ;)

Ive tried a few things today. I reseated all cables, no joy.

Tightened all the screws on the boards. Didn’t do anything either.

I moved where it’s plugged in to a different wall socket and for now it seems to be working fine. I’ll give it a few days though because sometimes it does work without resetting.

Thanks

Hi Guys, bought this a few weeks back and having an issue since the move from the previous owners house to my own. I know the issue wasnt there before as i know the guy i bought it from!

Anyways, when playing a game its rebooting when both flipper buttons are pressed together during gameplay.

It happens during gameplay only, not during the attract mode.

Ive change the extension power strip i have it plugged into, and always lightly sand the connections on the boards behind the flipper buttons inside the pin. No joy.

Some days it doesnt happen, its fine. But most times it does. also every second or third time its powered up its flipping the switch for the downstairs sockets in the fuse box when its powered on .

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!!
pinball heaven sell this easy-fix daughter board,could save on a lot of diagnostic work if the reseating ribbons doesn't work.
https://www.pinball.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/5v_reset_fix.jpg

i used to have this on my TAF. Very Very common problem and as stated above loads of advice on this issue. Usually can be easily resolved and don't take some peoples advice on replacing bridge rectifiers etc etc.

I temporarily used the daughter board as stated above. It will fix the issue for about £30 and easy to install. The only problem is that it masks the real issue. It's all to do with power fluctuation (spikes when both flippers are pressed for example). Andy N above sorted mine (I think) as I'm no good with a multi meter and fault finding. just go through all the recommended 'fixes' including making sure the metal plate in the backbox is firmly screwed down (for some reason).

The anti reset board can work - but to have any chance you will need to have a existing supply somewhere near to the correct voltage.
What voltage do you have there on the power in on the cppu board

This is a very common fault. It is the 5v issue. If there is resistance in the electrical path you get voltage drop. The game detects this and reboots.

Andy at pinball Mania is the Greek God of 5v issues

You need some or all of ...

Repinning connectors
Replacing the connectors
Reflowing solder over the pins
Cleaning the pins with very fine wet and dry paper
Cleaning the connectors with a very fine file

The good news is that this is 100% soluble.

Thanks for all the replys and help guys, i havent tried it since the weekend when it was working fine in the other socket, but ill be giving it a good play this weekend and will see if its still good.

I have a multi meter, but to be honest other than testing continuity id be lost without an idiots guide to testing voltage! But if its still acting up the weekend ill get it out and do some googling on how to look for the fault with a meter.

ill go through all the other steps as well thats posted. thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom