What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STTNG drop target / lock question ??

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
I'm sure this isn't working quite right on this STTNG. Maybe a STTNG expert can clarify.

Firstly Drop target up/down and switch work fine in solenoid and switch tests.

If you choose Light Lock from the ball launch, the DT drops (is down already)and you can fire the ball straight into the lock. The DT then stays down and the next ball launches and locks again, and then a 3rd launches starting multiball.

So basically you can get multiball straight from the launch.

Thats not right is it ???

I was suspecting the DT and switch but these do seem to be working fine. And the whole DT mech was stripped and cleaned recently.

Thoughts ??

Hopefully its something blindingly obvious that I'm missing. Could it be on some sort of easy multiball setting (I havent checked as I type this)

Cheers Trekkies

Last edited:
As most recent addition to the collection I've been playing STTNG a lot recently.

In my experience the lock DT should come up and deflect the ball launched to replace the one locked from the original launch. This shouldn't count as a hit to light the next lock either.

I'm not aware of an "EZ-mode" setting that makes this any easier - The earliest you should get a multiball using launch selection ONLY is ball 4 launch (Lite Lock - Lite Lock - Holodeck - Holodeck). Obviously you can get it a lot earlier if you get shots up the right orbit from play.

Had similar DT issues with No Fear lock DT that turned out to be down to a cracked/ disconnected diode connection on the DT switch, which was fixed with some quick soldering, but you'll have covered that in your strip down of the DT mech I guess.

Rog

No definitely not right does the drop target reset at all as the reset arm is pretty flimsy IIRC

Sent from my U8666-1 using Tapatalk 2

Mine used to do that Ive. The drop target wasn't going down when it was supposed to (pffffffttt etc) and it turned out to be the return spring, the bit that pings it back up, had snapped off the mech. I know you will probably have already checked this but worth another look.

Cheers fellas

The knock down actuator arm is fine - replaced recently.

I'll have another tinker with it tomorrow - sounds like something is just not quite right with the DT mech then.

Will be prob for sale at the Slam if anyone interested.

If you choose Light Lock from the ball launch, the DT drops (is down already)and you can fire the ball straight into the lock. The DT then stays down and the next ball launches and locks again, and then a 3rd launches starting multiball.

If you don't select light lock from launch and then try and get locks in normal play instead....do you see the same behaviour? So after you hit the right orbit to drop the target and then lock the ball on the 2nd orbit shot, does the target reset?

If you don't select light lock from launch and then try and get locks in normal play instead....do you see the same behaviour? So after you hit the right orbit to drop the target and then lock the ball on the 2nd orbit shot, does the target reset?

Yes - works ok.

However just trying it again now and the Lock from launch was behaving ....so basically seems to be intermittant issue with the drop target. I'll pull the bl**dy thing apart again and see what is happening :rolleyes: Annoyingly you can't view it in playfield down position to see. I have some spare drop target mechs here so might just swap some parts around and see if it helps. I dont really like STTNG at the best of times and this isn't helping :rofl:

Right - fixed ! :D 2 issues ......1 of which turned out to be my fault......:rofl:

Got my head back under the bonnet and had a really good look at the DT mech .

When I first got the machine the DT switch was just hanging loose by its wires , so of course I reattached it to the bracket where it should be.

Here was where I had made a schoolboy error - I attached the switch bracket to the inside of the DT mech bracket instead of the outside (the switch remained on the outside where it should be, this is all very confusing unless you can see it in front of you), it fitted fine and appeared to function either way , however the problem arose in that the securing screwheads because they were on the wrong side were *just* interfering with the DT as it came down and sometimes it was hanging up.

And the second issue - I hadn't noticed when I cleaned it previously, but the plate attached to the plunger which resets the DT was actually a homemade replacement. Whoever had fashioned it though had made the arm a *little* too long so occasionally it was able to hang up on the switch acctuator. Again causing intermittant DT issues. Luckily I had a replacement one from a spare DT unit in my box of bits so fitted that.

Todays lessons - (1) check that ALL parts are correct, and suspect anything that looks homemade and (2) if in doubt about how something attaches check the manual :rolleyes:

So - hours of fiddling and swearing later its all good.

No definitely not right does the drop target reset at all as the reset arm is pretty flimsy IIRC

The part I recall being flimsy is the 'finger' of the "Frame & Eyelet", which holds the target dropper coil. When new, the small coil and its armature plate were fitted to the F&E and the finger then carefully bent around to secure the plate, which supports the target dropping arm. This adjustment also brings the dropper arm up close to the drop target.

If, either through careless adjustment or a poor-quality component, the finger of the F&E later breaks off, the plate/dropper arm end up resting a long way away from the target, over-working the dropper coil driver circuit, and possibly resulting in a burnt-out coil/damaged driver transistor.

I've seen a few cases of this on Star Trek Next Gen, but never on, say, Fish Tales or T2, which have similar drop targets.

Last edited:
Anyone know anywhere in UK that sells the drop target reset plunger (T shaped plunger)?
www.actionpinball.com_pics_a_11388.jpg
Also the plate on the drop actuator sometime fire out much further than it should meaning it wont fire again when needed, is this the finger bit you are talking about @Jay Walker ?

I must take the mech off again and have a good look at it, it seems to be the only bit thats not working on this machine now (only had it about 5 years, finally having a proper go at fixing it)

Last edited:
Hi, Ian,

The 'armature plate' of the small coil which drops the target should be held in place by a bent-around section (which I refer to as a 'finger') of the metal frame which holds the coil. With this broken off, only the return spring is stopping the plate (and the target dropper arm) from simply falling off its hinging point on the frame. Its absence also allows the plate/arm to rest a very long way from the target, over-working the coil to the extent that it can end up damaged, along with the small driver pcb top right of the backbox.

I have the reset plate, but you can also use a small unwanted key. You can hold the knock down armature closer to the coil with inventive use of cable ties it is travelling too far from the coil.

@pinballmania
My problem is the existing reset plate unit is an old bumper plunger with a yoke, a piece of metal and a few screws (ie home made) the diameter of the plunger seems to be slightly smaller than usual also which seems to cause problems (not always resetting the drop target)
It was this way when I bought the machine

I will hopefully include a reset plate and plunger in my next order from you once I work out what else I need for a few other machines I'm having problems with.
I have a cable tie loosely around the drop solenoid unit at the moment, I was thinking a screw with a post rubber on it screwed into the underplayfield might work better than the cable tie long term

Cheers
Ian

Back
Top Bottom