What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Speaker Crack

Sako-TRG

Site Supporter
Gents,
Not sure if I’ve nailed the issue...
Not with a pin but with a 1015 jukebox.
Was getting an intermittent crack/pop from what sounded like the speakers.
Say a loud crack once or twice an hour.... when not playing anything.
Strangely enough only seemed to start when I relocated my mini fridge near the jukebox.
I switched the fridge off and seemed to disappear.
Could this be the culprit? I’m thinking some sort of interference/ spike from the evaporator motor compressor over the AC on the same ring circuit causing issues with The jukebox? Close proximity?
I guess I could relocate the mini fridge or install a mini UPS......
Be interesting to see if anyone heard of this before.
Cheers 👍

I think you have your answer.

Fridges require compressors which involve large coil based motors. The fridge will run the compressor for a few minutes at a time then switch it off when the requisite temperature is reached.

Any coil based motor involves a power surge when it is first energised. The current drawn by a motor is highest when it is at rest, once it starts to spin the current falls.

This surge is almost certainly the cause of your problem. Your juke box will be suffering from a sudden and momentory loss of power. This perhaps indicates that the power smoothing capacitor on your transformer board inside the jukebox is on the way out.

You might be ok if you move your fridge physically further along the ring main. Replacing the capacitor might sort it. Or, it might just be a rubbish fridge I am afraid.

I think you have your answer.

Fridges require compressors which involve large coil based motors. The fridge will run the compressor for a few minutes at a time then switch it off when the requisite temperature is reached.

Any coil based motor involves a power surge when it is first energised. The current drawn by a motor is highest when it is at rest, once it starts to spin the current falls.

This surge is almost certainly the cause of your problem. Your juke box will be suffering from a sudden and momentory loss of power. This perhaps indicates that the power smoothing capacitor on your transformer board inside the jukebox is on the way out.

You might be ok if you move your fridge physically further along the ring main. Replacing the capacitor might sort it. Or, it might just be a rubbish fridge I am afraid.
Thank you @DRD that's very helpful indeed sir :)

Back
Top Bottom