What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sticky flipper issue

cooldan

i like pizza
greetings pinheads
playboy.jpg

i posted a similar thread about a year ago when i had a sticky flipper (staying up sometimes) and zero idea where to start. since then i've gained a little experience but am thinking there's some useful info to be gleaned before i head back for my second attempt at a fix.

sponge-bob-boobies.jpg

ok so i know it could be electrical or mechanical but this one seems like it may be a mixture. first thing i tried was replacing the sleeve and end stop. the sleeve was really really tight in there which made me think it may have been an overheating coil (and the coil was warm to touch, warmer than the other flipper coil). replacement sleeve went in ok, and there was plenty of movement for the plunger so i set her up for another look. oh, and we adjusted the end of stroke switch, which all looked fine and dandy.
sloth in a box.jpg

it did it again, and this time i (we, Calimori Geoff was with me) thought we could feel more friction than on the other side, so we were thinking mechanical again and more adjustment/replacement. so i replaced the bushing (it looked ok, but they're very cheap) and also the plunger/link/pawl assembly, which again didn't look too bad, but was a bit rough, and i had a spare one anyway so why not ....... but it still does it.
rat in drain.jpg

so now i'm thinking coil again. before i do the next diagnostic task i can think of, which is swapping for the (also blue) coil on t'other flipper, which involves double disassembly and de/resoldering shenanigans, is there a diagnostic coil test i can try? if i take the coil out, anything i should inspect for? any simple tests i can try with a multimeter? i know the EOS switch is supposed to switch it over from high to low voltage and am wondering if this is the bit that's not working, so this must be something i can test without buggering up the other flipper, right?

sorry for the long post. i have interspersed a selection of odd pictures to make up for it, to try to hold your attention.

shagging yoda.jpg

If its a game with a fliptronic board , the eos switch has little bearing and a flipper will work just fine without an eos switch altogether.

Other reasons for binding.
There is no clearance between the pawl and the bearing.
The pawl is not formed correctly and is off square to the flipper shaft causing mechanical binding.
The coil sleeve is too short or not located in the mounting bracket.
The pawl is over tightened through the link and is causing binding.

Back
Top Bottom