What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Updating (SAM) old chestnut.

Spadge

Registered
So, trying to get my Iron Man VE code updated.

I got a new game code but during the process of updating/failing, it's wiped by v1.83 that was on there.

I am wary that Iron Man Vault Edition should be used as I have a xx52 ending CPU/Sound Board due to the changes in the USB its built with. (From Stern Bulletin/code update)

I'm using a Bootrom v1.0 which works fine (Bootrom 3.1 is not for this board and doesn't work)

I'm trying an old USB stick now and completely slow formatting it in FAT 32 rather than quick format.

The code verifies OK in the update, flash memory clears OK in the process. But the update quits with error code 1. I can't find anything online saying what that is exactly.

The update is not zipped and is a binary.

I've used a PC to move and format the usb.

I've updated Stern games OK before (TWD, LOTR although they were different boards)

I can't think of anything I've done wrong and am a bit stuck.

Use a different stick, preferably Sandisk of various vintages. USB compatibility is hit and miss on a lot of devices and SAM machines are no exception. The kind of errors you can get on USB incompatibility run the gamut.

Formatting to FAT32 is correct but don't bother with full-formats, they're totally pointless on flash media and 95% of the time not useful on rotary hard drives either. Full format recommendations are a cargo cult tip people love to repeat without understanding it.

If no joy on a few different sticks, then the SAM board is probably at fault.

Tried a few. Just get error 1 on code update, verify and erase fine (3rd part of process)

Only thing I’ve noticed is 128m boot eprom, have been told 64m is what’s needed but couldn’t understand the difference.

It’s further complicated given IMVE needs code dependent on cpu/mpu it has due to changes in the usb used (mine has a xx52).

Yeah same board here. Only difference is 128M in the Flash Rom, whereas you have the 64M. I'm hoping thats the problem :)

did you say you're updating with custom Pinball Browser code, presumably from a Pinball contact somewhere? Might be a bad download or corrupt file or something...

I used the stock IM2183VE.bin from Stern's site and it works 100%.

Games built with CPU Part #520-5352-00 need to use V1.83VE code., like in this photo: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/game-code/iron-man-vault-edition/soundboard7.18.2014F.jpg
It’s the IM code with alternate songs Paul. I know the code is good because I had it in my game. I believe you tried it also ?
Possibly a bad download and worth download adding again @Spadge
I believe a few people have installed this code from this same download.

It’s the IM code with alternate songs Paul. I know the code is good because I had it in my game. I believe you tried it also ?
Possibly a bad download and worth download adding again @Spadge
I believe a few people have installed this code from this same download.

Thanks, I've focused on getting the update to work with Stern official code drops rather than the code with different audio.

This is where I read about the differences in CPU/Sound cards and build versions.

I've tried numerous USB's with both the IM build and IMVE build.

The only difference I see is that the 128M Eprom whereas other boards with same CPU Board are 64M Eproms, not that I can understand why.

your 128MB EPROM looks more aftermarket/homebrew than mine. What with the Dymo sticker on it and all that.

That CPU board only has the 64MB of memory onboard - the other socket underneath the Stern warranty sticker is empty, unlike MET or TWD where it's filled.

Thats the only difference I can see, Jim Askey (mypinballs) supplied it. My ironman board has been to electrocoin and the chip in the boot eprom didn't work so I got another. Initially it was 3.1, which didn't work, but was told I needed Bootrom 1.0, which I got.

Hmm, just thought, may have one, should have one, in Tron... I'll see and try.

My tron was board rev xx46 (which was used on original iron man) so it had boot Rom 3.1 and that doesn’t work on this xx52 board.

I could do with trying a v1.0 on a 64m EPROM to rule that out I guess, clutching at straws now.

Right, I think I know.

It's down to the Boot Eprom being 128M, it needs to be 64m.

The process quits as the erase rom feature goes above the size of the original (>65535) because on the board, it only has 64M, forcing the process to quit, I'd assumed it was failing the code update, it just doesn't get that far.

Am sure with a 64M Eprom, it will update fine.

Strange but also understandable for the process to panic and bomb out if something even seemingly minor goes wrong.

At the same time I'm somewhat unsure as to why it would try erasing past 64MB if it didn't actually support going above that range on the chip. Is it actually depending on getting an error condition with accesses above 64MB? Baffling indeed.

Just wish the error codes were publically listed by Stern, would make stuff like this much easier to diagnose.

I'm confused, V1.83 is the latest and already on there?

Yeah I've got an IM code version with alternative music on, like the one for TWD, but the problem seems to be associated with my Boot Flash and it quits during the update process (erasing flash) which means its bricked it at that point despite verifying OK.

RIGHT.

So what we think (been a few talking about it) is that the Bootflash I have is from Metallica. This machine had extra memory (128m) so it attempts to erase all of that in the boot flash. However IM had less (64m) so the update gets an error when into the missing memory.

By that time though, the flash rom has been erased, even if the code has been verified.

USB's were fine :)

Outcome for me is to get;

(a) New bootflash code to go on an eprom that only addresses the IM memory (64M)

or

(b) a New U9/Bootflash chip in there.

I'm on with this now. I feel better now. My machine isn't dead, just having a sleep.

That makes a ton of sense. It would definitely be more typical for it to fail during the erase cycle when trying to blank above 64MB, than it throwing a fit because there's more memory than it needs, as reading invalid memory tends to return FF instead of the 00 from erased bytes - so would be a very normal thing to detect and abort on.

I agree that replacing the boot flash would cure it

Back
Top Bottom