What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Technicians Alert

Mark

Registered
Hi guys,

On my RBION I have had a couple of switch errors. One is the start button, and the other is "hypersensitive" shooter lane switch.

Firstly, the start button was a little hit and miss (it took a few firm presses to work), but I've adjusted this and it is now fine. How would the machine know the start switch is faulty, as surely the machine would not know the button was being pressed if the button wasn't working?

Also, I have tried the shooter lane switch in test mode, and it appears find to me, not "hypersensitive".

Anyway, as I believe these errors are fixed, how can I clear the techicians alert? On my Bally/Williams machines, when you fix a faulty switch etc. the error message/credit dot goes straight away. Do I need to do anything different on a Stern to clear the error message? I know I can switch off the alerts all together, but I don't really want to do that - just clear the current errors.

Thanks in advance, Mark

I think it will clear itself after so many games without fault. I too get the shooter lane switch fault now and then, and it appears in the tech report but after adjustment and then a few clear games its gone from the list.

I'm only speculating here, but RBION would seem to be particularly prone to reporting hypersensitive shooter lane due to the design of the skill shot.

Every time you plunge too softly and it rolls back it would be counting the switch hits, and assuming its hypersensitive.

That could be part of the problem but mine definitely needed adjustment because sometimes when I was doing my " I've had a **** first ball, let's reset " thing it would put a 2nd ball in the shooter lane as the first ball wasn't quite making the switch.

Thanks guys, I will leave it a while and see if it goes by itself. I guess I was expecting it to clear straight away like the Williams/Bally machines, but as suggested maybe it needs a few successful games before it goes.
Cheers, Mark

Thanks guys, I will leave it a while and see if it goes by itself. I guess I was expecting it to clear straight away like the Williams/Bally machines, but as suggested maybe it needs a few successful games before it goes.
Cheers, Mark

Nope they don't go away, it's a bug (from memory) only sorted by software

Hi Rudi, the machine is already running the latest software (v3.2) - I think Nick was meaning that it is a software problem, but not necessarily one resolved by updating. I guess removing the batteries will clear the memory (and therefore the error), so I might try that later.
Cheers, Mark

Hi Rudi, the machine is already running the latest software (v3.2) - I think Nick was meaning that it is a software problem, but not necessarily one resolved by updating. I guess removing the batteries will clear the memory (and therefore the error), so I might try that later.
Cheers, Mark
You'll also lose your high scores!.
If the switch isn't playing up now just give it a few games and it should clear. I certainly didn't do anything to clear my tech report yet it is empty.

Thanks Kevlar, good point (although none of the high scores are mine - so it might not be a bad thing -lol).
Ive chosen the easy option and just disabled the technicians alert as it was annoying me, and will check it again in the future and see if they have gone.
Thanks for the advice - it just through me as WMS/Bally clear errors immediately I thought Stern would do the same.
Cheers, Markl

Some Williams switch reports can be awkward to get rid of; Getaway often reports the 'Top Lock' switch, due to no-one locking three balls. This isn't cleared just by checking the switches; it only clears by exiting Test Mode with all three balls on the locking switches, or by showing off and locking all three balls during play, as I did ages ago at a POA show in Kettering.

But the nastiest-to-clear switch report I've seen was for roulette wheel switches on Williams 'Millionaire'. These can be reported simply from the roulette ball not landing on them recently, but they can't be reached easily. The wheel spin test can't be left running long either, before it pauses to cool off.

Last edited:
Hi Jay, good point - I sometimes get a switch error on White Water for Bigfoots cave, as the ball rarely goes there! If only I spent more time playing them and less time tinkering :)

Cheers, Mark

as said hypersensitive sw on RBION is common due to soft plunge for the skill shot
re resstarting a game-dont get that philosophy.Any ONE ball can make a killa score esp on RBION.
2 balls could also be a switch trough problem or magnetised balls#9common on RBION)

Back
Top Bottom