What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STERN Spike II Speaker lights.

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
A few weeks ago I purchased these lighting kits for my Aerosmith from Pinball Center.

I got them for about 54 euro as they had an offer on.

They arrived and it was a cheap chinese controller with simple RGB lighting. The LED tape was stuck down badly and had totally come off one of the spacer panels sent to me. I still fitted them and thought they looked okay.

Since then I noticed a company in the US (I am not sure if they make the original kit I got, or Pinball center have copied it) have a new lighting system for Spike II.

Now remembering a YouTube video I saw with a guy doing a sound to light kit using an arduino I thought I would make my own.

This is the youtube video with the code in if anyone else is interested.

Now - here are my two short videos of what mine look like.

If anyone wants a wiring diagram - I can do a sketch.

Basically cost is:

£12 for 5v 5a PSU (put power connections in Parallel with the stern PSU).
£8 for the adafruit auto gain microphone
£!0 for the LEDs (they come in 5 metre lengths but I used about 1.2 metres so this is a guestimate)
£8 for the arduino R3
Just need a 100 or 200 ohm resistor, and a 25v 1000uF capacitor.

Is there anyone on the group who could knock up some of the stand offs required?

Anyway - let me know if you want to know more.....

the Speakerlights type 12 are pretty good but in my view and your home made one is excellent! but neither of these are speaker light kits. They are speaker panel kits. I just want the speakers themselves lit up to go with the other games I have and I got a something from Coinstar that I need to install in my GOTG sometime that does this. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow and post up pics!

@Neil McRae - I fitted new speakers in as well, and tried illuminating them with an old kit that I had from 'Celtic' pinball mods on ebay. It worked fine but didnt give a good effect in my mind. The old kit had a perspex ring on them that lifted the driver up about 10mm to put the LED strips inside. You only get approx 10 LEDs in these frames. The ones I have made have 40 per side.

Oh and as for the description - the mod lights the speakers - so I do not think I will be flogged at the alter of pinball mods for calling it a speaker light mod :)

Enjoy the show folks. Have a good weekend.

Back
Top Bottom