What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stern node board technical help

chris platt

Registered
I have a stern kiss with the whole centre matrix out ,,this relates to a node board 9a directly under ...the fuse is fine, theres a red light on suggesting power, ive re seated connectors and the diagnostics state "no errors" on any board ...any one any other suggestions to prove its the board please ?

It’s the central light matrix, middle of the playfield led displays . All lights work except for the whole middle of the playfield

Stern have not released schematics to individual node lighting boards yet. It could be one of the chips gone that control the RGB LEDs in that 'bank'. Get a magnifying glass and look over the board for any cracked solder joints to start with.

Swap over NODE 9 and NODE 8. Change the DIP settings on each..... Node 9 addresses Node 9A. If you get your lights back you will know that its the main node board. If it stays the same then get a new Node 9A. Not a lot you can really do with this SMT stuff unless you have experience with those components. I bloody hate them!

Fix it, flog it, buy a tried and tested wpc. Wpc has been working for 25 years and will go for another 25 years. Stern is all trendy, New Labour, woke and all that, but Stern node boards unlikely to go 25 years let alone 50

@Poibug - there are no schematics for the boards that have LEDs on them. I would guess they have 6 or more in each game.

The main node boards do have schematics - but in this case I doubt this is the issue.

When lights fail I have found its usually a data issue on the LED boards (that are also called NODE BOARDS)

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 00.26.02.png

Yet again - SWAP NODE 8 and NODE 9 in position - but change the DIP switches on both boards.

If this cures the problem on node 9A you have an issue on the MAIN NODE (the one ORIGINALLY in position 9, but now in 8).

If the problem is the same. Issue is on node 9A. Which to be honest you have very little chance of repairing unless you first of all check it with a magnifying glass. Order a new one.

Also check PIN to PIN the lead that connects 9 to 9A.

Swap over NODE 9 and NODE 8. Change the DIP settings on each..... Node 9 addresses Node 9A. If you get your lights back you will know that its the main node board. If it stays the same then get a new Node 9A. Not a lot you can really do with this SMT stuff unless you have experience with those components. I bloody hate them!

Exactly what i was going to say. My money is on a bad main node board. Probably a 3.3v issue, or short. Stern refuse to explain why these thing happen seemingly randomly...

Thanks for this so far I’m slowly taking the 8 and 9 boards off but feel unsure about the dip switches , how many clicks I need and how to move them

Attachments

• 1DF55391-4594-4898-997B-91535E2D6A5E.jpeg
    1DF55391-4594-4898-997B-91535E2D6A5E.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 21
A big thank you to all , I’ve done as advised and board 9a still not working so new board ordered ... if this doesn’t work it’s on the bonfire ;);)

The annoying thing is the failure is probably something that is about 50p failing!

Have you asked to see if they do an exchange price (ie. You send your one back for a credit after)

New board arrived fellas and all works fine , thanks all for help ,,, do you think anyone will want the old board to have a nosy? If they can repair I I’ll pay for time, if i never see it again then that’s fine too someone may want to have a spike board ad I presume broken ones are not too common

Hi Paul.... based on we’ve dealt before if you think you can attempt a board repair I will send to you if ok ? As stated I would like it back repaired but if it gets binned from trying that’s fine too

Hi Chris
I'd love to take a look at it?
cheers Bob
Thank you Bob for the offer much appreciated ! Paul is nearer and we have dealt before ... if Paul thinks he can have a tinker and repair then hopefully I will have a spare , again if he changes his mind or needs help maybe he can pass to you

Back
Top Bottom