What's new

Stern Mustang

lukewells

Registered
So what did you think?

It surprised me how well it played (if you ignore the software bugs and multiple ball hangups :rofl:)

Hope someone buys one so I can play it again

Here is a LONG video of various Northern League players playing it

Truely surprised how much I enjoyed it. I'd seen some early videos online and it looked a snoozefest, with terrible callouts and ridiculous horse noises

The version Mark had though, vastly improved. Humourous callouts, good modes. Love the way you can gamble with choosing to start multi ball early or not.

Could be another one of these games that ends up being rare, because the theme is so unpopular, but plays so well. Very tempting.

Aside from the ball hangups the other bug bear was that silly whirlpool on the bottom of the right ramp, if it worked more like CFTBL one it would be fine but it takes SO long to drop through.

Aside from the ball hangups the other bug bear was that silly whirlpool on the bottom of the right ramp, if it worked more like CFTBL one it would be fine but it takes SO long to drop through.

Yeah the whirlpool is entirely pointless as it is. If yo look near the start of the video while I was playing, I got it twice, the first time it seems to give me 100 points and the second time it did absolutely nothing

Yeah the whirlpool is entirely pointless as it is. If yo look near the start of the video while I was playing, I got it twice, the first time it seems to give me 100 points and the second time it did absolutely nothing

That's early game code for you.... :rolleyes:

Spent some time with this today, pretty underwhelmed. The main toy is straight out of the pound shop. That right in lane whirlpool is soooo tedious too. Jeez, you wait 15-20 seconds each time you got a ramp shot

Whirlpool is crap agreed but generally I feel its quite fun. Cheap looking toys are nothing new. (The Baked potato's on Stern:ST).

I also played it a few times today. Obviously I couldn't hear it with all the noise of the show going on, but it just felt crappy to play. Yawnfest imo.

Most of the machines weakened with the heat, but there was a Star war trilogy that was probably the best setup pin in the entire show. I actually enjoyed the crap out of it.

I love it I think its a real breath of fresh air totally different layout to any stern I have seen
I played it for 4 hours at marks and would rather play it over star trek which is a good game but gives us nothing we haven't seen before

Had a couple of plays but couldn't hear it well enough to make a call. Audio integration is a significant part of a game IMHO.

Seemed fun, but I don't have immediate cravings to play again. Would prefer to play the LE or premium models to experience it properly and see what they stripped out for the Pro.

I love it I think its a real breath of fresh air totally different layout to any stern I have seen

That's coz it's the first JT designed machine off the Stern production line... :D

And you're right it is a very different game from recent Stern offerings. :cool:

I think that the whirlpool highlights unfinished code and it'll be interesting to see what they come up with for that. :hmm:

I do like Mustang overall (already) but I do think the wirlpool is pointless, even if they add code in to make it more interesting, at the end of the day it's slowing down gameplay

What if in multiball you got a special award for getting two or more balls in the whirlpool at the same time?
(Not sure how they'd detect that in fairness. Doubt there is a 'ball exiting whirlpool' switch)

But still, stuff like that could make the whirlpool more interesting. Agree that in single ball play it is annoyingly slow though.

Sounds like it's a good place to park a ball or two in multiball if you need the pf clear to make accurate shots? Looking forward to having a go on one of these at the UKPP.

Indeed I get your point in relation to multiball, but I don't think single ball mode (which is surely 80%+ of your actual gameplay time?) should be sacrificed for multiball.

It would be acceptable if the ball was able to divert and avoid the wirlpool when not in multiball. Does it have a diverter?

Indeed I get your point in relation to multiball, but I don't think single ball mode (which is surely 80%+ of your actual gameplay time?) should be sacrificed for multiball.

It would be acceptable if the ball was able to divert and avoid the wirlpool when not in multiball. Does it have a diverter?
Think the premium/LE may have but unlikely one of those will come over unless someone really wants one

Put some decent time on it today and quite enjoyed it. Quite a different design and feel to the majority of recent sterns, the deeper flipper arrangement took a bit of time to get used to, but I did enjoy playing it. Strategy wise though, it seems pretty heavily weighted towards going for 6th gear and starting multiball with the 50m super-jackpot. No modes seem to compare in terms of score. I didn't make it through the modes far enough to the wizard mode, if there is one? So maybe the pay off is huge if you do manage to complete them all....

Spent some time with this today, pretty underwhelmed. The main toy is straight out of the pound shop. That right in lane whirlpool is soooo tedious too. Jeez, you wait 15-20 seconds each time you got a ramp shot

Based on a Fair few dozen games in a home environment

Right the negatives - don't like the translite,or the general pf art package-nuff said.Plus as allready stated the whirlpool ramp is a friggin' abomination.95% of the tiem it spins round it 9 times,but switch stops registering after 2/3 of that,and it is soooo slow to spin round.Plus you only get a few thousand points per whirlpool switch hit.My guess is,yet again,the bean counters intervened and stopped a good design from being implemented-oh well.
Plus,it's little things and just IMO,but really ****ed off they dont do the "proper"lockbar and the old awesome backbox latch.Don't get me wrong,I know some will say "who cares",but just annoys me and chips away at my general feeling towards Sterns overall bag for the buck.And this is coming from someone who has bought two NIB pins by them,and I also own a few more,and havve had many others.
Plus there are two annoying ball hangs-one where it can go under the lift ramp,tho at least ball search frees this,the other where a few times it gets stuck under the lh ramp near the sling-tho i could easily at least stop this one.

The positives
Well,I must say I do like the overall sound FX on this game,is does fit into the theme well as do the call outs,and there are a few songs in there too

The songs are:

Ace of Spades by Motorhead
Drag City by Jan & Dean
Free Ride by Edgar Winter
Frankenstein by Edgar Winter
Go, Boy, Go by Jimmy D'Anda
I Just Want To Celebrate by Rare Earth
My Own Worst Enemy by Lit
What I Like About You by The Romantics

I absolutely LOVE the song Go Boy Go by Jimmy D'Anda but struggling to find owt about it.I guess it's the BulletBoys drummer,but who knows?VERY well suited to the game-would love to hear more songs of this like that-maybe it was recorded esp for the game?

Jan and Dean,suits the modes ,drag racing well,and to most,will think its a Beach Boys song.I woulda prefered Jesus Built My hot Rod by Ministry, and would prefer an Iced Earth rather than a Rare Earth song but that's why Pinball Browser was created :p
The Motorhead song is a nice touch tho its not the original - it appears to be a re-recording or mebbe live,still Motorhead tho:thumbs:

There are also some great animations,that,like the sound FX also suit the theme well-there's even a great little animation of the designer,John Trudeau sitting in a car with "Mebel" - nice!!

Cab artwork on the pro is REALLY nice,it does look good,tho,as other Sterns don't like how they cut the decals short nowadays,and I see the beancounters struck again and the nice metal let protector is now a ****ttty plastic one.

Gameplay-Initially you get to choose one of 6 modes.Each mode is assigned to a specific car - typical pinball stylee start a mode and shoot flashing shots really.There is a nice multiball from the Drag Racing mode,where the upbeat tempo works well.If I was good enough I would know about the other two cards but I am a ****e player-will leave someone like Stormy to do that.Like the drag race,and the police pursuit(with a nod to HS and HS2).As said the main multiball building thru the gears really scores.When at 4th gear and you hit scoop you can cash in the multiball,or try and down more gears targets to get to fifth then 6th gear multiball,but with more balls-nice touch.

This game really is fun to play.It would never induce me to buy a new one,but saying that i enjoy it a lot more than WOZ - each unto his own.
I would have prefered it to have some more songs and more artwork related to the classic Mustangs.

All i can say is play it - it has its flaws,as do most games.My guess is that this was not given a high BOM,and has suffered because of it.Maybe code tweaks will make it even better,tho the resultant whirlpool ramp is poor,tho good for a beer break!

poibug

The only problem is there really will never be many chances too,as this will always be a rare pin in the uk methinks-like the Stern NBA

Saw a Mustang for the 1st time last weekend at the Le Mans 24 Classic, they had a 'Flipper' tent, watched for a while but strangely saved my Euro's for another beer. !!

Saw a Mustang for the 1st time last weekend at the Le Mans 24 Classic, they had a 'Flipper' tent, watched for a while but strangely saved my Euro's for another beer. !!
Wise move.
It's not 2 bad a game but a beer sounds a better bet.

Ok you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but if you bear in mind that Star Trek LE went straight in at number one on the same chart, it gives you a bit of insight into the first impressions of this pin.

Ok you have to take it with a pinch of salt, but if you bear in mind that Star Trek LE went straight in at number one on the same chart, it gives you a bit of insight into the first impressions of this pin.

It does suck bad imo. Cab decals are nice though.

And....um...that's it really. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom