What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ST:TNG lock

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

folks,
on my st:tng every now and again when you send the ball up to either lock or launch probe the ball won't always lock. the mechanism sometimes doesn't release so the ball bounces rather than locking.

any ideas?

Neil.

That used to happen on my old STTNG - in my case it was a broken spring.

In front of the lock hole is a target that goes up and down. A spring and gravity pull it down, a coil puts it back up (I think). In my case the spring was in the bottom of the cabinet.

If yours is too, preferably replace it rather than trying to stretch and reuse it (as I did) or it'll just go bad again later (as mine did) until replaced.

Neil,

As Dan says, the entry hole at the very top of this games' subway system is shielded by a single drop target. If the option chosen when launching a ball into play requires entry to the subway, a small coil (more a relay coil rather than a solenoid coil, really) operates a linkage or 'finger' which pushes on the target in the same way as a ball hitting it. Then the pull-down spring retracts the target below the playfield. That's the idea, anyway. A common problem with Star Trek Next Gen, seemingly more so than other games with this arrangement, is a partial breakage of the holder for the dropper coil. This allows the coils' metal plate, with the finger attached, to move a long way away from the coil - this also affects the distance of the finger from the target (it should be quite close). It's my impression that this can lead to the dropper coil being overworked, resulting in failure.

Have a look at the dropper mechanism, which is attached to the target frame. Locate the small coil, and its metal plate. There should be a long curved section extending from the dropper coils' bracket, to provide a stop for the plate (and to prevent it from falling off). If the only thing securing the plate is its return spring, then yours is another example of this problem. It's not all that difficult to correct though. Obtain a "Frame & Eyelet", and the coil, plate, finger and spring can be transferred from the existing one without soldering. Just take care to fit the plate facing the right way, and when bending the central tab to retain the plate/adjust the finger.

Thanks both have ordered springs just in case and will take a look tomorrow!

Neil

Yeah looks like the spring a botched spring has been installed and pulled tighter rather than use the right spring - I've tightened it further until the right spring arrives - many thanks for help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay - that was the exact problem - brass plate snapped. Martin managed to work something to solve it in the meantime but thanks to Andy now have the right part for next time it plays up.

Back
Top Bottom