What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Space invaders pinball

Take it that the referb of the SI a bit more complicated and expensive? Seen the posts saying they're more complicated as don't have self diagnosis?

Take it that the referb of the SI a bit more complicated and expensive? Seen the posts saying they're more complicated as don't have self diagnosis?

The sit in the cross over period.
We are talking just under 40 years now since production. Same time as a Ford Cortina Mk5!

I'll overlay my playfield, change the coils as someone greased them :rofl: :rofl:. The logic boards are end of life and put Comets rather than incandescent lamps.

Key is reducing power consumption to keep it going, keep the energy bills down as the UK will not be ready for electric transport as the infrastructure won't be in place!

The early solid state games don't have the same extent of self-diagnosis as post '85 games, but there are tests programmed allowing a technician to check all the score displays for function, see if any 'feature' bulbs (or by this time their sockets) have failed, check for audio, operate all the solenoids and finally operate each playfield switch to verify the correct inputs from the grid or 'matrix' that they're arranged in. What's lacking is much, if any, facility to highlight a fault, such as 'Check Switch #', or 'Ball missing'. The electronic side of a Space Invaders pinball is far less complex than an Addams Family or Theatre of Magic, but uses many long-obsolete components. These can be pricey now, if available at all.

But of the early systems, Bally are generally thought to have had the most service-friendly. The Mpu board runs a check on those outdated parts when switched on, showing its progress (or not) with an on-board l.e.d.
Even 40 years on, in some ways that usefulness seems to have helped. A large number of surviving machines resulted in modern 'Alltek' replacement circuit boards. Costly, but the main Mpu board can be used for almost any '77-85 Bally game simply by altering setting switches; not even original program chips are needed.

Last edited:
Many a time spent in the arcades in skeggi. The only pins they have there now is a slightly knackered TAF, spider man, shrek and csi. Too many crappy token games nowadays!
Good to know some of the issues with the pin Jay. Usually know enough to do the simple electronic/ mechanical stuff generally but not enough to fix more complicated problems.

I was promised a go next time I'm down to electric circus. Bit of a distance so unfortunately not a regular. 😭

under all that filth,that's probably one of the better surviving space invaders playfields,but no way worth £699.95.

Think it might be missing a few parts😂 think that "project" might be a little beyond my abilities!

Back
Top Bottom