What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOUTHCOASTSLAM THANK YOU'S

D

Deleted member 181

Sorry it has taken so long to thank everyone, its been an epic this year and this is the first chance I have had to sit at the computer

Well i don't know really where to start, so many people to thank, so many awesome people giving up time and effort to make this a truly amazing weekend, I suppose the first place to start which is pretty easy is ....

"The Legend" Andy pin mania , honestly without this guy there would have been very few games working, Andy thanks so much for running around all weekend constantly fixing games and being around since Thursday, and for pretty much ensuring the show could stay open (sorry about that dodgy South Park).

The ladies on the front desk Rachael , Helen and Jess all did an incredible job of keeping the door flowing , and supervising the raffle all weekend, and for working for less pay than a child labour camp i.e. none
smile-1.png

Ivan and Rav who each at some point would have had maybe twenty stressed out phone calls demanding some news article or quick quick we need flyers <cough cough Seve Richay> the vids and pins from Rav's unit which Oliver supplied a chunk of as well , Tom for being rubber duck and doing the 7.5 ton driving all weekend, the huge monumental task of getting all the games broken down from Rav's unit and out of the Grizz shack and my house, Dave Robert's for letting us take his games again, getting all the games taken back, the psych out tournament, keeping vids alive supplying vids, driving, all this I thank you guys for.

The tournaments thank you to everyone that ran these, Martin for doing the Super Slam Showdown , Nick and Kate for the Old Skool Rulz, Grizz in the tent, Phil and Adeline and Dave and Sal for the vid tournament and everyone that picked up a pen to mark scores or supplied a game to be used in the tournaments. Special thanks to the NLP guys sure you will agree the NBA is fantastic fun and hope to be able to play again at the party.

Power and lighting thanks once again to Andrew for supplying us with all the extra power required, Mike for collecting and of course Poibug and crew for fitting it. The Raisons once again thanks for creating the atmosphere with the awesome lighting you always bring along, it really adds to the effect and looks super sweet, and the Rolfe's for sticking up those cool neons, probably still available for sale or PX with a child
smile-1.png

Raffle was a great hit, thank you to Simon for your donation which allowed us to ramp up the pinball machine once again, and special thanks to Stormy for getting it looking so nice. So many awesome prizes - Adam for donating the Awesome iPod dock (which I wanted!), Simon for the laptop, the other Simon for the silver ball framed back glass, Steve for the BoP poster, Sean for all the stuff from pinball wizard magazine, Stern, Steve, Gary, so many people to thank and i will get round to this personally in due course, and well done to John H for winning the machine, poor Kate she had the same number but on a different colour green DOH!!! Note to self next time - mix the colour's better.

Steve Ritchie was a true gent, the guy was knackered and still put on a brave face happy to sign everything and talk about his games, Also was only too pleased to do a last night talk and play in the tournament which in true SCS form was a last minute thing, a true true star. Gary F for arranging the trip and looking after Steve all weekend and also from now until he leaves the UK.

Everyone who brought games along if it was one in the back of the car or twelve in a lorry thank you all so much, so many people to thank - you know who you all are and I will be updating the website soon with a proper page. Matt Adams was a legend with the van as I in true style forgot to organise the vans for Sunday so thanks for dropping them to my house and to Dawn for returning my dead star wars on the Sunday.

Thanks to Matt for sorting out the trophies for all the tournaments and thanks to Manny of woodtech for the amazing showdown trophies those were great just gutted I didn't do enough to win one myself.

I hope that I have missed no one and I will be updating the site soon with thanks and also when all is finalised and paid I can't wait to announce what we raised for Echo.

Finally, I want to personally apologise if i seemed stressed out or that I wasn't enjoying myself, this I have to say has been bothering the hell out of me as I always said when doing the first show that I never want to be seen this way, however I think that it all came to a head at the weekend. All the drama over the past five months kind of exploded, it seemed like only a week ago I was badgering my designer for "the return of the slam" flyers for the DPO and that was last year also for the NLP guys when I think back it reminds me of how many months of my life this takes up. The drama's of the AC/DC not arriving the constant battles with the media, advertising, getting the guest over, maxing out the credit cards, hotel booking, the never ending emails, transportation, and that’s just the tip of the ice berg.

I like to think that I am approachable, I have the worlds worst memory for names and faces its a real problem for me so if I have called you "mate" for most of the weekend its because I am probably desperately trying to remember your name, and piece together where I have met you before, I blame the early 90's rave scene for that one
wink-1.png

As I am sure most of you are aware me and Jess are expecting a little one soon, I feel that its only fair to dedicate my time to her and the new arrival, I don't want this to be the end but I also hope that people will respect and understand my decision to take a break. I don’t want any kind offers of help to make the show go on next year, all I am saying is lets have a one year break and see where we all are in 2014, no way can this be the end the Slam is too f***ing rock and roll for all that.

Time to wrap up, BIG BIG BIG love to everyone, thank you again to all involved and sorry if I have missed anyone out. I hope and am pretty sure I would have personally thanked you on the day if I saw you, I met so many new faces and great people. Our scene is great, the people are fantastic - now lets look to the rest of the year with all the other stuff running that needs our support, The Welsh Classic, Swavesey, The UK Pinball Party, the local league meets, Special When Lit and the NLP show at R3play, all need our support

Thanks guys, I look forward to doing it all again in 2014

Love and much hugs

Will x

Quick patched together vid of the show from my phone
smile-1.png

cheers

will

And THANKYOU buddy for taking it all on and pulling it together. Yep the stress and worry is incredible (Friday 13th lived up to its billing this year :mad:) ...and all so everyone can enjoy an event *truly* unlike any other. I salute you sir !:cool:

We wanted this to be be bigger and better than previous years and f*ck me it was ! I think we were pretty much maxed out on space for games - slight panic on Saturday morning as we weren't sure how many more would roll up and where we could put them
biggrin-1.png

Still on a high from it.

The Slam rocks. Long live The Slam.

Ive /Sgt.GrizZ

Can't say much more except thank you to everyone above, especially Will and all those who bring their pins.

Special thanks to Grizz........always wanted to play TOMMY and I spotted it early saturday in the tent and I asked if I could play it. Later found out it was Grizz who said go ahead and enjoy it:D And I did! Great pin, great sounds. Next time I will say hello now I know who you are
wink-1.png

You're all just fekkin Ace
smile-1.png

Thanks to everyone for making the weekend such a scream - From the stressed Poi collecting pizza orders whilst muttering under his breath "I said last year I wouldn't fekkin do this again", to Ive eventually getting to chill out when we got to have a proper chat on Sun PM after a lot of the stress had gone away, and we were starting to pack things up....

As Will said - Poor Kate - heart must have been in her mouth when she thought she's won STTNG - only for it to be whisked away
sad-1.png
... Such a good weekend for memories
smile-1.png

I encourage ya all to stick your pics/videos etc in this thread : http://www.pinballinfo.com/forums/threads/slam-2012-pics-thread.321267/, so in 2014 we can look back and say "pahh that was tiny"
wink-1.png

Replay' date=' post: 1692542 said:
Special thanks to Grizz........always wanted to play TOMMY and I spotted it early saturday in the tent and I asked if I could play it. Later found out it was Grizz who said go ahead and enjoy it:D And I did! Great pin, great sounds. Next time I will say hello now I know who you are
wink-1.png

Glad you enjoyed it
smile-1.png
I had a lot of lovely comments about Tommy over the weekend - makes it all worthwhile.

Its always difficult at shows putting names to faces - we really should all wear name badges.

From this forum it was a pleasure to finally meet and chat with Paul, Chris (Ronsplotter) , Gaz Shiels, and new kid on the block
tongue-1.png
Calamori. I'm sure there were others but it was all a blur and some folks names I didn't catch.

Thanks a lot Will and everyone else, you really are a special bunch. Roll on 2014
smile-1.png

Thanks for inviting the NLPS crew and the NBA comp down, Im sorry we couldnt have stayed later Sunday to help you pack up (it was nearly 2am when I got to bed) but we had a long way and a few drop offs to make, after a few weeks of rest you will feel a lot better.. Look forward to seeing you all at the Party.

The NLPS Crew

Thank you to Will and all behind the scenes who gave their time to make the Slam so chuffing awesome. Great guys, what a weekend!! Cheers.

Mark

What can I say that's not already been said ?

You guy's rock, many, many thanks for a pinball fueled weekend of flippin fun.

Roll on 2014.

D.

Again huge thanks to Will, GrizZ, Andy "The Legend", Rav and everyone else behind the scenes who made the show such a great event!

I'm still suffering from "BK2K wrist" from fighting with that awesome row of 6 machines at the show.
biggrin-1.png

Quite a long trip down from the East Midlands, but well, well worth it! Thanks Guys (and Girls). Sorry if I didn't get to chat with as many of you guys as I should have done, there was too much pinball to play, I still managed to see a load of familiar faces though!

Just want to add my thanks Will, Ive, Andy N and everyone else who made it the BEST......WEEKEND.......EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin-1.png

Great to finally meet guys off here Ive, Paul, Mark, Geoff (or is it Jeff?) and the NLPS guys...great people all!

Great Slam, thanks everyone for making it happen. Here's to the next one
biggrin-1.png

Just a bit miffed I missed out having a watch of the NBA event, I walked past a couple of times, but didn't have a chance to stop and take it in! Next time...

Slam 2010 ........... 61 pinball machines, 1 vid (not working)

Slam 2011 ............ 82 pinball machines, 29 vids

Slam 2012 ............ 100+ pinball machines, 35+ vids (waiting confirmation on these numbers)

Slam 2014 ............ ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Gonna need a bigger boat venue
biggrin-1.png

You guys rock. I am the NKOTB and just begining to realise how massive it is because of guys like you lot. So glad I took the time to get there for door opening on Sunday and then bump into GrizZ who then introduced me to other people. Forums are great but meeting the people behind them and get involved is so important, these events open the door for people to get more involved.

You should be so proud of the show you pulled off and how you manage to bring the community together and give them a real event. How you herded that awesome collection of tables into such a small space is amazing, I have never seen or heard anything like it.

Got to hunt down a local group now to get another fix. :cool:

Calimori' date=' post: 1692596 said:
Got to hunt down a local group now to get another fix. :cool:

UK League dude
biggrin-1.png

http://www.ukpinballleague.co.uk/schedule.php

Still some South East meets to come. Great fun afternoons, usually held in a pinheads house/gamesroom with 5+ machines - play pinball, talk pinball, drink beers, all welcome , nobody takes the competition *too* seriously (well most of the time
wink-1.png
)

Glad you enjoyed the Slam and it was a pleasure to meet you.

Couldn't make it down to the Slam, but must say big respect to Will and the rest of the guys involved. It looks amazing, especially the tommy tent :). It combines my two favourites raving and pinball all in one! Good luck with the new baby Will, the young padowan will need to learn the ways of the silver ball in a few years, so hopefully there is a Revenge of the slam!

Good idea, I have sent my details over to the coordinator

Where abouts in the country are you? I have a feeling you told me this at the Slam but I've totally forgotten :oops:

Here’s my take on the Slam, plus my thanks!

Firstly, thanks to Paul Brock for fixing the wires going in to the battery pack on my Tron costume! He made good use of his soldering iron on the wall outside the venue while we were waiting for Rav and the last of the video games/pins to arrive. Once those had been unloaded it was onwards to the Chinese, which as always was delightful, everything was delicious and I ate far too much, thanks Will for organising it again. I reckon in 2014 that’s something that can be delegated, take some of the pressure of the weekend away from Will and let someone else organise it. Was it something like 57 that turned up for the meal? Great turnout... shame not all 57 had booked!

We managed to get into the rest of the venue a little before 10pm I think, loads of people had come back to help with the setting up. To see everyone pull together like that was incredible, I felt really proud to be part of the pinball community.

So, the main competition, the super slam showdown – good work as always Martin. I really enjoyed the tournament, good range of machines and they all played really nicely. That goes for all the machines I played actually. I think I still owe Poibug a pint of Guinness and Stormy Nick a drink for teaching me how to play Volcano, which is the machine I qualified on. Thanks to Poibug too for organising the pizzas, absolute star!

As for the NBA tournament, so glad I signed up for that! It was a load of fun to be part of, and hats off to the NBA crew for it, even things like the refs uniforms made it extra special. The machines are tip top, and were in a good location away from the rest of the machines too. Really looking forward to playing again at Daventry!

Late night pinball on Saturday night, I absolutely loved that. Pinball + alcohol + friends = awesome. Can we do that at Daventry please? J

Old Skool Rulz, next time I promise I’ll be more organised and not just throw a spreadsheet together the night before :p Thanks to everyone that participated and to those who helped Nick and I set the machines up the night before, and also thanks to those who volunteered at the last minute to help with the scoring.

AC-DC what can I say, really enjoyed playing that, I love Back in Black however I won’t be disappointed if i don’t hear Highway to Hell played for a while :p Felt very priviledged to meet and have a good chat to Steve Ritchie but even more so that he played on AC-DC with me.

Psyche out – another reason why the Slam is set apart from all the rest – thanks Ive for doing it again! I must remember to bring some string or something to tie to the glasses to stop them slipping down my nose!

More thanks – Jess, Helen and Rachael did a grand job on the front desk and organising the raffle (let’s not talk about the raffle shall we! :p) It’s also nice to have the video game tournament there, good work Phil Eaton, sorry I didn’t take part but I was already dashing between the SSS and the NBA! The Raisons for the sound, and Andrew for the lighting – I think it was you I played on The Shadow with, was lovely to meet you and hope you can make it to some other shows too. Andy the legend, everyone has said it already, it’s people like you who make our UK shows stand out to me more than the European shows, because the machines are in such good working order. Take a bow!

Obviously massive thanks to Will, the reason the Slam is so awesome is because of you. Maybe you should start to compile a playlist of pinball machine theme music to play to Jess’s tummy to get the little one prepared?

Lowlights: None. Seriously can’t think of any.

Can’t wait for 2014!

SOUTH COAST SLAM' date=' post: 1692540 said:
Quick patched together vid of the show from my phone
smile-1.png

cheers

will

Naff song,great vid.

To all those who were knackered Monday - just imagine how Will,Tom,Ivan,Legend etc felt/feel.

Kudos to you guys;)

Sod knackered Monday, I'm still knackered now.

Major respect to Andy "The Legend" that guy never stopped all weekend. If it were not for guys like this we would not have a show.

Can't say much more than whats already been said only thanks to the southern guys Will, Ivan, Rav and all who's hard work behind the seanes made everything possible.

Also a great big thanks to Kate, walking around in that Tron costume, it made plenty of people smile and made Kates **** one of the most talked about things over the weekend. Nice one Kate and respect.

BOP next year ? Hope so.

D.

Kate Morris' date=' post: 1692669 said:
Haha, not sure about that! perhaps i've got 2 years to build a transformers outfit that actually transforms.....? :cool:

We need more people to get into the event by getting dressed up like a pinball character, There were loads at Replay/Northern Lights, mainly the video guys/gals, I can still see Lara Croft now, Drool.

Bride of Pinbot would be a cool costume. There must be loads more that would work ?

Paul' date=' post: 1692683 said:
Elvira......

Now we are talking.

And like already said its gotta be a girl and not you Paul.

Sorry to dash your hopes as I know you were looking forward to getting dressed up.

Maybe we gan get Will as the ringmaster from Voltair cause he looked pretty green on Sunday morning.

Back
Top Bottom