What's new

Wanted Some Kind Of Mutli-Game Arcade Cab Dealy

Fintan Stack

Registered
I have been toying with the idea of getting an arcade cab. Although I would love to have a few dedicated cabs I really do not have the room so I think that some kind of MAME or Multi-game JAMMA jobbie would probably be best for me.
Trouble is, I don't really know jack about this sort of thing. I did toy with the idea of making something myself but I know it would get half built and then left. :rolleyes:
So, has anyone got anything they want to sell. Or any advice for me on where to get something and what to get?

Cheers folks.

Dean

Start by buying yourself a standard Jamma cab.

There are hundreds to choose from, so get whatever looks nicest to you.

Get one fully working as the monitors can be a pain to fix.

£150 should get you something that works and is half decent, £300 should get you something in near perfect condition.

Don't pay over the odds or believe any of the hype of the scammers on ebay.

Things to think about :-

1) Do you want to play modern(ish) fighting games like street fighter ? If yes then you need a cab with 6 buttons per player. If you are mainly looking at playing the old clasics then 3 buttons per player is the correct amount. If you want to play Neo-Geo games then you need 4 buttons per player

2) Will you be playing horizontal or vertical games? Ideally get a cab where the monitor can easily be rotated so you can play both types, but be aware that some are fixed

Get a super gun. I did and it's great! It saves space and then if you like the multicart option you can incorporate it into a cabinet easily later. I currently use it in a cupboard That I converted to give an arcade feel.

If you don't know much about arcade cabs then I would personally make sure it's something you definitely want by making a quick and cheap investment on a supergun and then upgrade later.

Luke's advice above is great. Think about what games you want and then obtain an appropriate cab. Don't just by a cab and then think "what can I play on it?"

I like you know jack about these sorts of things and am after pretty much the same thing (multicade cab), there are a few people out there who might be willing to give you a hand I expect.

Have you tried someone who does this sort of things for a living? I know Turnarcades had a stand at the Slam, but the owner has had an incredible run of bad luck recently (check out his FG page) so it is unlikely you would be able to get anything from him for a while.

I would second Luke's advice above as well, sounds like an excellent starting point.

Get one of those nice CPS2 multi boards.

Just a warning if you do go down the multi game pcb route that some of the games may have glitches, missing sound or slow frame rates. The neo geo I have is generally ok but I hear the others are a lot worse.

With a mame cab it's much more reliable so you at least get a good playable game

Something to consider...

The CPS2 multi boad is based on CPS2 hardware so you don't get any of that. Which was nice :)

You have to appreciate, that as a seasoned videogame collecting veteran, telling someone to get a MAME cab or a supergun, sounds to me like me telling a pinball collector that they don't need to bother with these unreliable pinball machines when you can play pinball on your PC in pinmame these days ;)

My preference has always been to have the whole "experience" i.e. standing in front of an arcade cab that actually looks like it lived in an arcade back in 1985 and thus I would only go for original machines. I do however understand that some people like to buy these new multgame cabs that people make and sell on ebay as they look modern and clean, just be careful if you go that route as quality and price vary greatly and it can be a minefield getting the right one

My preferred advice remains, get an appropriate condition working Jamma cab as a starting point. This then gives you 3 options :-
1) If you want the 100% accurate gameplay experience then you can buy genuine Jamma PCB games to put in it
2) If you are happy with a 60-in-1 type multigame, then you can buy one of those, but as @ShootAgainChris correctly states the multigame PCB's do indeed have glitches and sound issues. If you hardly ever play videogames you may not notice or see it as a problem, but a collector that is familiar with the game can always tell that they are not quite right
3) If you wanted to go the MAME route (I.e. PC running MAME with 6000 games on it) then its easier than ever before. If you have a Jamma cab, there are plug and play solutions these days that allow you to plug in a MAME PC to a Jamma cab using a JPAC (Jamma to PC convert board effectively + appropriate video card or drivers) so you still have the option of swapping in real arcade pcbs or multigame boards as and when you fancy it.

You have to appreciate, that as a seasoned videogame collecting veteran, telling someone to get a MAME cab or a supergun, sounds to me like me telling a pinball collector that they don't need to bother with these unreliable pinball machines when you can play pinball on your PC in pinmame these days ;)

Haha! Yeah, I can appreciate that Luke and totally understand where you are coming from.

I would love a few dedicated cabs for my favourite games but I just do not have the room at the moment. One day I will and I will have a nice retro arcade all to myself and that will be awesome. But for now, I just want to play a few of my old favourites and 1 cab will have to suffice.

I think I am going to go with option 3. I will keep a look out for a localish Jamma cab and then convert it to run MAME too. I have been reading up on it quite a lot over the past couple of weeks so I think I am ready to go for it.

Thanks for all of your advice. :cool:

Couldn't agree more with what Luke says. I only recommended the super gun because of saving room in case you hadn't considered that option yet.

If your committed to buying a cab then everything Luke said above is perfect. The 60-1 multigame (icade I think?) that Luke quoted above is known as one of the better multi boards and doesn't really show that much diff from the originals apart from perhaps the sound.

Would love to see your finished article. Perhaps post some photos!:)

Good luck with the retro arcade as well when you get the room

Agree with Luke, Get a decent Jamma cab. Mame is good for what it is, it allows you to play a wide selection of games for prety much free (minus the PC, ipac etc costs).

"I think I am going to go with option 3. I will keep a look out for a localish Jamma cab and then convert it to run MAME too. I have been reading up on it quite a lot over the past couple of weeks so I think I am ready to go for it."

I wouldn't know too much about the price of 2nd hand cabs because I never see them to buy anywhere local but I've built a 6 core AMD 4.2ghz oc , 8gb ram that emulates everything right up to the Ps2/Wii for well under £300. I could take lots of that price too because thats fitted with 120gb ssd , things you wouldn't necessarily need.

Don't bother with an ipac either imo , find some gash usb controllers and re-solder to buttons so you can use things like xpadder.

Recently stripped my HyperSpin list down to 40 systems, I had 105 and was getting silly going through things like adventurevision I'd never play. All cabinet friendly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrmitpvjhhpqwz8/HS-Sys.jpg

mmm where's my Atari ST gone :)

No no no no no

Don't solder anything to anything, that is modifying a perfectly healthy cab for no reason.

Keep it as a Jamma cab, use a JPAC to convert a PC to Jamma and then it's plug and play.

If you want to change to original PCB's or Multigame PCB's later, then it's just a case of unplugging the JPAC.

Same if you come to sell it in the future. Most collectors would consider modifying a cab to be a permanent MAME cab devalues it, not increases it's value

I'd just get a jpac all the same, its just easier. Although when I made a bartop, I did do a pad-hack and works great. but then again, your still going to need a jpac for the audio and monitor outputs.

Well, it's not too difficult to do. The xpadder route is quality. All really depends on whether you're a purist or not. CRT & Arcade VGAs and all of that gets pricey and if it's not just for mame setting up things on 640x480 res is a pain I find. Rather have the full 1080.

I prefer to use filters these days with lcd tvs. Most emulators do very good job of it nowadays. Save a lot of cash.

Sorry bud, but I completely disagree. don't get me wrong, an old LCD in a bartop does the job in places you cant fit a CRT, but even with scanline effects, they don't look anywhere near as good or authentic.

Times have changed a bit since standard scanlines. You have seen HSLS in mame recently and the frontend emulator Retroarch?

Surely it's less effort and the most authentic experience just to use a genuine Jamma cab ;)

Scanlines 100% correct by default ;)

Well, I wouldn't say any is more effort than the other, it's just boiling down to whether you're a purist or not. There's just way too many pros for me over using current hardware than the old. A cab for me these days isn't just for mame.

The only real games imo if you want to pinpoint exact differences is going to be stuff like pacman, galaga. I'm from the beat em up / fighters generation and some of them games can look better than a crt.

Surely it's less effort and the most authentic experience just to use a genuine Jamma cab

+1 on this. Out of interest does the JPAC only support 3 buttons per player or can it be modified for a SF2 setup?

@Fintan Stack dude, if you've still not got anything sorted by August then I should be down your way in Weymouth and got a PC in the bottom of a cupboard somewhere that you can have. It's got a MAME build with loads of ROMs and some basic frontend and is shelled WinXP so will boot straight into MAME. I took it out of my cab when I moved to Hyperspin and built a new PC for it :)

+1 on this. Out of interest does the JPAC only support 3 buttons per player or can it be modified for a SF2 setup?

The JAMMA interface standard supports 3 buttons per player (plus the 4th button for Neo-Geo games unofficially)

JPAC has extra screw terminals to connect the extra 3 buttons per player for games like Street Fighter 2

Yep, no way near enough buttons. If it's for playing games from 1982 with 2 buttons get yourself a pentium 1 lol , or better still just fit it with a PI.

Back
Top Bottom