What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOLVED Williams Indiana Jones flipper coil overheating

Andy Hancock

Site Supporter
Problem as in title on right flipper

Can’t see difference in EOS gaps

Just run flipper coil test and right flipper does raise in hold test whereas the left flipper (the good one) just clicks but doesn’t raise flipper .
Is that the correct test result on the left flipper and does that mean therefore I’m getting too much power to the right flipper ?
Have a multimeter but never used it and I’m pretty useless at this stuff !

All help welcome

Last edited:
I would suspect it’s the opto board on the flipper buttons swap side to side and see if the problem migrates
Thanks so much Chris . It does migrate . Given the opto a clean and seems ok now but guess I ought to add one of those to my next order list .

Newbs who are worried about maintenance should follow my adventures because no one can be more useless than me at this stuff but quite easy to solve a lot of issues with help from the good folk on here

Thanks so much Chris . It does migrate . Given the opto a clean and seems ok now but guess I ought to add one of those to my next order list .

Newbs who are worried about maintenance should follow my adventures because no one can be more useless than me at this stuff but quite easy to solve a lot of issues with help from the good folk on here

Fully agree, a great and hugely knowledgeable community - always willing to help. For someone fairly new into it, I have been amazed by how many good people there are.

Where’s the opto board for the flippers. I recently rebuilt flippers on my SS and have fitted new coils. However left flipper is still sometimes weak. I just assumed they were directly connected to the power supply driver board?

On the sides of the cabinet behind the flipper buttons. The optos are the black devices with a slot that the interuptors slide in to when the buttons are pressed.

https://www.pinball.co.uk/product/a...ne-parts/flipper-opto-board-assembly-a-17316/

Coils either work or they don't, changing them won't solve a weak flipper problem. Weak flippers are generally caused either by worn out mechanical parts or the opto boards.

Well the good news reached Level 7 of the stiff of meter on first go after cleaning the flipper opto's. Actually thought I was gonna crack it on my first ball. Hitting the coffin then the ramp each time. Really dialled in then rattled the left ramp and it all went pete tong. That's Pinball!!
Anyhows right flipper hits like a cannon but left flipper is still not as strong. Anyways guess I need a new opto.

Last edited:
It's still probably worth swapping the boards over before buying a new board to make sure imo. The optos do fail but the mechanical bits are easily the number 1 cause of weak flippers.

Where’s the opto board for the flippers. I recently rebuilt flippers on my SS and have fitted new coils. However left flipper is still sometimes weak. I just assumed they were directly connected to the power supply driver board?
You are becoming a pinball engineer Kenny.

Back
Top Bottom