What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solenoids/contactors

Andy B

Site Supporter
What are people using for output devices for flippers, bumpers, slings etc.?

The build I am working on currently has 12v solenoids for most things and a couple of 24v contactors for flippers.

I managed to get them working using DOF and pac drive hooked up to relays.

Bit underwhelmed by the contactors if I’m honest and solenoids are OK if a little bit tinny.

Any recommendations for other things I could try?

I have 5v, 12v and 24v PSUs in the cab and would prefer not to have to put any more in so would need to be something that runs on any of those voltages.

Thanks

Andy

You'd want a decent brand high amp PSU to be on the safe side and give you some scale for other stuff. Those solenoids are a good 2.5A draw each so it wouldn't take much with a few pop bumpers firing and the flippers flipping to easily burn that 4A one up.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/swit...reE-Wqhe66vUDrTbIcUaApjyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the tip. I’ll order one of the solenoids first to see what kind of improvement I get over the contactors before I invest in bigger PSU.

I found in my later builds I exclusively used solenoids for everything, specifically the 12v ford starter motor ones like these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-ss581t?rrec=true

Those above complimented by exciters using SSF was pretty good to me
i use these for all my dof stuff, slings, flippers, targets, pops etc i only have 8 though. i find they can be a little loud compared to a real pin though. I run them on a 12v meanwell power supply and have them all connected to an Arnoz rig master board (best board imo) i know some people who use real 24v and 48v pin soleniods and even full sling assembleys etc so there are quiet a few ways to do this but for the cheapest option i find these solenoids to be the best

I have gone for the cheapskate option - second set of speakers inside the cab for all the mechanical sounds :D

Same, 2.1 speaker system with sub in the cabinet, turned up quite a bit and provides a nice little bit of feedback without any solenoids, although plan to add some one day.

i use these for all my dof stuff, slings, flippers, targets, pops etc i only have 8 though. i find they can be a little loud compared to a real pin though. I run them on a 12v meanwell power supply and have them all connected to an Arnoz rig master board (best board imo) i know some people who use real 24v and 48v pin soleniods and even full sling assembleys etc so there are quiet a few ways to do this but for the cheapest option i find these solenoids to be the best
Thanks.

Is there a UK website that sells them do you know?

I always use the same kinda solenoids as @Tyke

These are a little more but amazon - so delivered in a couple of days max:

Personally - I run my solenoids on a 30a 12v PSU - with NOTHING ELSE ON IT. Solenoids have a high surge current when they are fired.

Do not forget to slam a diode across each solenoid........ and use a relay board to control them.

I run 7 or 8 in most cabs and have them:

2 across front - flipper L / R
2 a little further back - Slings L/R
3 across the back - L/C/R for things like pop bumpers etc
1 in the backbox (if I could be bothered and someone wants it) - Knocker.

I screw the solenoids onto the cabinet itself - not on bits of wood going across. I feel they sound better on the side.

Do not bother with SSF - it used to be called 'poor mans feedback'. The exciters, speakers and amps will cost you more than the solenoids.

Oh - do not go for contactors. They do not sound as good as starter solenoids.

You also need a high current soldering iron to solder the diodes on!

I always use the same kinda solenoids as @Tyke

These are a little more but amazon - so delivered in a couple of days max:

Personally - I run my solenoids on a 30a 12v PSU - with NOTHING ELSE ON IT. Solenoids have a high surge current when they are fired.

Do not forget to slam a diode across each solenoid........ and use a relay board to control them.

I run 7 or 8 in most cabs and have them:

2 across front - flipper L / R
2 a little further back - Slings L/R
3 across the back - L/C/R for things like pop bumpers etc
1 in the backbox (if I could be bothered and someone wants it) - Knocker.

I screw the solenoids onto the cabinet itself - not on bits of wood going across. I feel they sound better on the side.

Do not bother with SSF - it used to be called 'poor mans feedback'. The exciters, speakers and amps will cost you more than the solenoids.

Oh - do not go for contactors. They do not sound as good as starter solenoids.

You also need a high current soldering iron to solder the diodes on!
Yep - I went with the starter motor solenoids running off their own dedicated 30a 12v PSU in the end. Fitted 8 of those 2 for slings, 3 in middle, 3 at back. There were already battens in the cab for the middle and back but for the middle I mounted the outside two to the cabinet side and just one to the batten. All 3 at back I mounted to batten.

It already had contactors for the flippers. I agree they don't sound as good as the solenoids but I think they are OK for a different kind of sound which it would be like on a normal pin.

Attachments

• IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom