What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soldering Iron

Irving Hill

Registered
Hi

I'm trying to sort a simple toolkit for some basic pinball work. I've seen a number of posts on here and I'm looking at getting some sae nut drivers, screwdrivers etc. I could also do with a soldering iron and I've seen a number of people recommending a mains 60w unit form Maplin. My question is, is this the sort of thing most people use? I can see if you have a work bench it would be fine but how do you do work direct on the machine? Does anyone use gas powered irons and can anyone recommend a particular size/power/make?

Thanks all

Irving

Never use a gas iron. No temperature control so it's easy to burn things up. A piece of wood across the cabinet is a good place to rest the Base unit. That iron is similar to what I have. Ditch the sponge and use a copper tip cleaner. They're about £3 on eBay and work much better (and you don't need to wet them)

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wondered on the gas iron was because I've watched Andy Netherwood use one but then he is a pro. I've also heard that lead free is crap, whats the problems? Is it that it doesn't flow?

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wondered on the gas iron was because I've watched Andy Netherwood use one but then he is a pro. I've also heard that lead free is crap, whats the problems? Is it that it doesn't flow?
That is exactly the problem. It doesn't flow.

Ok next dumb question, where do you get it from as it seems that no one sells it here. Is it to do with health and safety crap :tut:

I prefer the slightly thicker stuff (1.5mm i think i use), however some prefer the 1mm. I wouldnt go any smaller that that imo :)

I bought mine from the eBay seller £31 delivered, box scruffy but item still wrapped in the protective plastic. He seems to always have them
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272105915991

I can see if you have a work bench it would be fine but how do you do work direct on the machine?
I still use my old/cheap wand style when working inside the cab for basic things like solenoids - just find it a bit easier and the works isn't delicate.

Edit. He's not selling them at the mo :oops:

Yes I've got one, no problems and you'll find that cpc will be good for parts and tools also they do free p&p

I see lots of recommendations for the Maplin iron, but for me I dont rate them, trying to get any sort of heat into a fine tip is not easy, then half way through a job you will need a new tip.
I had 2 fail and binned the last unit, I now have a Weller, leave it running all day and it will be fine, still on the same tip, will cost you more than the cheap Maplin ones, but when we spend the money we do on the pins why not spend a bit more on a good solder station :)

I’m just about to embark on a flipper rebuild and have never used a soldering iron before. Just yesterday I was thinking of buying the Tenma/Maplin 60w station but my lovely girlfriend surprised me this morning with this little present for father’s day. I’d like to keep it - would it work for what I need - ie. desoldering and resoldering the coils and eos swirches? I have no intention of using it near any circuit boards. Ever. I know my limitations.

CB2167EC42-CB19-4C92-BA49-6806A3A0BAC7.jpeg

Thats fine for the job.
Just be careful as some gas powered units will have a exhaust which could cause damage if facing the wrong way while you are working.
Good luck, take your time and have fun.

I'd like me one of them portable gas irons @cloudburst as useful for small wiring jobs in/around the machine. You can always get the solder station as well later (I have that one) if you build up to doing board work you'd want both anyway. If you've never soldered before I'd recommend watching a couple of youtube vids first as there are some basic techniques that aren't obvious, like tinning the tip, applying heat to what you're soldering, flowing the solder and burning off the flux core. Its really simple but some aspects not obvious.

Also you can use that tool to heat shrink wire wrap.

Just to bump this - I figure I should probably get a portable solder instead of hauling an extension cable and using one off a mains lead. Just the thought of the faffing around makes me not want to bother doing what I need to do.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weller-WP3EU-Operated-Soldering-Ignition/dp/B003SPD5X8 still the thing to go for? (I just looked for "Weller")

Or this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Versatip-2000-6-Soldering-Accessories-x/dp/B000QGC6XW

Or even this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Soldering-Irons/Sealey-SDL6-Rechargeable-Lithium-ion-Soldering/B01BFCFBFA - no gas required.

I'm not likely to be using it very often, so don't need a full on station or anything like that.

EDIT: I'm impatient, and bought the Sealey one because a rechargeable battery soldering iron is a cool toy (if it works). I like toys.

Last edited:
Good Lord... yeah.. I'm not sure I'm at the point where I think I want to spend £100+ on one. Good to have something to aim for though :D

just got one of these, desoldering station next.
Nice that's the pinball info standard iron. :)
The latest CPC catalogue I'm sure had the D00672 duratool desoldering station on offer again:thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom