What's new

Snow socks / snow chains

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Hi guys

We are heading to Snowdonia next week. Will be doing some mountain walking. Last time we were there a few years ago it was snow and ice higher up and we had a few hairy moments in the car - mostly up near Snowden when we parked to hike up.

Thinking of snow socks or chains as a precaution this time. Any thoughts ? Socks seem less hassle to put on, and for all the times we will use them I'm erring towards to them.

Chiz

I've not used either, but someone told me recently that you need to inform your insurer if you use them, otherwise it can (will?!?) be considered a modification and invalidate your insurance.

Snow socks are cheap and easy to put on. But they are only really useful if you are stuck to get you moving again because unless you are in thick virgin snow they wear out in about 100 yards (On icy road or road where it has just started snowing they will last about 30 seconds.) So they may stop you getting stuck in an icy car park, or help you get up an icy ramp, but they won't stop you skidding off the road a few minutes later.

Thanks guys - thinking they will only be used for short periods ....ie when we head high and it looks like surface conditions turning sketchy.

As usual when you try to research on the internet you end up with just as many pros and cons for both :D

It's more than likely not going to be any snow, but if there is sod the socks/chains and have some fun driving in the snow.

I've never used chains or socks as winter tyres are the only way to go in my opinion. A second set of wheels and tyres aren't the cheapest option up front but they last several winters. As you aren't wearing out your summer tyres while they're fitted, long term I don't think the overall cost is all that great for the benefit they provide. They work so well it actually makes driving in the snow pretty enjoyable, especially when 4x4s with summer tyres are getting stuck and you cruise on by in a rear wheel drive car!

It doesn't help you now but I've purchased complete sets of barely used winter wheels and tyres for my last 2 cars for very reasonable money during spring/summer. It's a shame winter tyres haven't been made compulsory in this country like much of Europe, the roads wouldn't grind to a halt as soon as it snowed if they were. Still not convinced? It's not my video but you get the idea: ;)

A friend of mine lived in Norway. Winter tyres were compulsory there between certain dates. Companies would do the switch for you and store your other set of tyres accordingly.

Tyres like this make a HUGE difference. Even skinny tyres make a huge difference. My wife had a 96 Nissan micra with skinny tyres. I used to have a 2007 audi s5 with big low profile tyres and all manner of 4x4 traction control technology. Her's was a much safer car in the snow.

When I lived in Leeds you would see all these posh German cars with wide wheels slipping about in the snow, with "lesser" cars with skinny tyres performing much better

Years ago top gear drove expensive 4x4 cars including the then state of the art mk 3 range rover, across a muddy field. They all had to be rescued by an old land rover with skinny tyres.

The thing with winter tyres is that they sell out, so look to buy late summer if your car is a keeper

Another recommendation for winter tyres from me too. Driven in -40C in Poland and a few Swedish winters no problems. Its like driving on tarmac.

if you see any yetis, don't try to take a picture, just enjoy the experience and tell us all on your return

I used snow socks in Andorra last year. A piece of **** to put on, drove for several miles in fresh snow, will be taking the same ones again this year. Would only use them for snowy conditions though, not for icy roads.

Back
Top Bottom