What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smashed glass?

Davey D

Site Supporter
Has anyone known for the glass to smash when being hit by the pinball getting flicked up from the playfield? It makes me jump/cringe when ever it happens and always wonder if it will one day end up smashing?

Never heard of it happening this way but lots of stories of shattering glass when people take it out and catch a corner on the floor.

It won't even break if you hit it with a hammer! It's almost impossible to break when it's in the machine.

But yes as John says, very easy to shatter when you catch the edge, I've done myself and ended up picking up about a thousand pieces scattered over a wide area.

I tried breaking up some glass in my garden, hit it repeatedly with a hammer and couldn't break it, so tried wrapping it in old bed sheets, that works and stops the glass going everywhere.

I've never known it either Dave.

If you ever do have it happen then i'll have a spare sheet of glass soon as i've ordered some PDI glass for mine. I'll most likely stash the old one away somewhere in case anyone local needs it at any point.

And this is Roman I believe (seller of PDI glass) showing how strong it is, however how weak it is at the edges...

Last edited:
Reactions: JT.
I also use this for replacing the foam on the underside of the lockbar :thumbs:

Even the angle of the playfield can cause this - my LOTR used to bounce balls over the place, and get trapped balls , until I just changed the angle a few degrees.

When sliding out a piece of glass on mates GnR once. It got about 3/4 out then it got stuck. I couldn't figure out whether I had to lift or drop the bottom end and it snapped the corner clean off!!

playfield glass breaking is annoying , backglass devastating. worst is when lazy ops use plate glass and it smashes on the first ball. I threw a flakey checkpoint backglass over the council tip wall once and it bounced on the concrete 20 feet below. even looking at a nice backglass risks its breakage. sods pinball law number 1

Hit it with a hammer and it won't smash. Tap it with a screwdriver on the end and it will shatter into a million pieces. Wonder if playfield glasses have ever been smashed with pint glasses when they used to have pins in pubs...

Ive seen the odd full pint crash from the top of a backbox onto the glass without damaging it. its why so many games have that rust and sludge under the lockdown bar. BTW pins are STILL in SOME pubs. Swapping over one in Coventry this week. Hopefully no one has been "testing" out the glass with a pint pot

When sliding out a piece of glass on mates GnR once. It got about 3/4 out then it got stuck. I couldn't figure out whether I had to lift or drop the bottom end and it snapped the corner clean off!!
That's definitely not tempered/safety glass. If it were it would be in a million pieces.

Yeah, i replaced it with safety glass. On that occasion it worked out well as the clean up operation was minimal!!

Back
Top Bottom