What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smart bulbs... WiFi or ZigBee?

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Anyone ****d by smart bulbs?

I was reading up on them whilst taking a dump, as you do, and stumbled on the ZigBee protocol. Seems to be a new (to me) wireless networking thing that lots of these smart thingies utilise.

I’m fortunate enough to be relatively home network literate, so my house is well-served for WiFi coverage via 3x UAP AC PRO access points, and all cabled beyond. No ZigBee though.

This makes me lean towards the WiFi smart devices over ZigBee. We also have WiFi & cabled security cameras.

Has anyone else been quite this bored recently, and formed an opinion based on very little research?

If so I’d like to hear your reasoning & thoughts.

One thing we will all agree on though: they’re ****ing expensive.

I went wifi bulbs because getting a zigbee signal all over the house is a pain. Zigbee has been around for a while.

I’m using these

They work great and as long as there is wifi they work but they also have a remote control which is really useful too. All the lights in my shed are these. The only downside is that they won’t initially pair with your wifi if you have 5G turned on with the same SSID so turn that off to pair them and then you are good to go. The lights are stand alone so no hub needed just a Wireless AP

One room in the house has hue and they are great again as long as you have a Hue signal (hue also supports zigbee) but if you have lights far away like in the shed you need another controller and that’s a right pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers both.

I was hoping to use HomeKit integration, just because i have 2 Apple TV's on the network. The LIFX bulbs look very good with that in mind. WiZ is cheaper though.

This is more for my office/pinshed than the house, but i'd rather not have to buy 2 ZigBee hubs just to ensure a good signal seeing as the WiFi is there already.

Back
Top Bottom