What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloooow laptop

PAX

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul Woollard
Afternoon all,
So I've got a ASUS S550C laptop which is about 8 years young now and the damned thing is so slow, especially when booting up and not so fast when in use generally.
I've attempted to 'clean' it up to see if I can make it perform better but nothing really works that well so thought I'd ask for some advice.
Is there anything you'd suggest to get it performing better or is it really a case of putting it out to pasture as basically in computing terms it's in gods waiting room.
If the latter, then any suggestions of a pretty basic but decent enough replacement. I don't use it for gaming or streaming so only needs to be good enough for general surfing, spreadsheets etc.
Cheers

SSD is the way to go but also check how much memory is fitted, anything less than 16G will struggle with win10.

Reactions: PAX
Take everything off that you need to keep. Re-install from scratch latest OS (Win10 NOT Win11!) onto an SSD.

Windows needs re-installing every 12 months or so to keep fresh... else it just keeps getting slower and slower over time.

Agreed, just backup your docs onto external storage, USB pen may even do. Reinstall windows, do windows update. Install your programs and your good.

Reactions: PAX
PLAN A - Delete all the pr0n. (cough, cough)
PLAN B - SSD, CC (Crap Cleaner)

I favour PLAN B myself.

71.jpg.gif

Back
Top Bottom