What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Size Matters - new HD Pin2DMD 256x64 - Building again!

Ah so

1634117887336.gif

Bit more information on how to get pin2dmd working on Sam games (Metallica, ACDC etc) using Pinball Browser. The below is for Metallica

- download the pinball browser software from here: [ http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser ]
- register the software (paypal olivier $10 for a license)
- download the 1.70 rom from the sternpinball.com website
here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-metallica-le
here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-metallica-premium
or here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/metallica-pro
- pm me with your email address for the macro and smartdmd.txt file (which contains the palette information) <--- Various macros for different games are available from various people
- launch the pinball browser software, and then load in the metallica 1.70 .bin rom file
- from the 'smartdmd' button, click the 'configure your smartdmd device' button, navigate to where the smartdmd.txt file is located and select it (this is one of the files that I emailed you)
- from the 'macros' button, click the 'load' button [folder icon], and select the macro (.pbm) (this is the other file that I emailed you)
- click the 'run' button
- click the 'save as' button [disc icon w/ pencil] to save the new .bin file
- copy the .bin file to a usb drive
- re-flash your machine with the new .bin file

from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/186#post-3573026

For information, Stern SAM is indeed complex.

However, there has been some great progress: since Lucky released his 64 colors version, SAM colorization are fully supported through the PAL/FSQ file technique.

But very few have been converted to the new system

As far as I know, these are:
- World Poker Tour
- Family Guy
- Pirates of the Carribean

and that's it. All of them the work of vbobrusev

All other colorizations for Stern SAM are done using Pinball Browser, which is a PITA to use:

- Colorization is done using macros applied to the original ROM (so you load the original rom file, then apply the colorization macros)
- These macros usually apply strictly to one rom version (ie revision and Pro/Premium). You can adjust if you know your way around (for ex the Premium ROM for Star Trek has more DMD frames, fortunately they are all at the beginning so you can adjust the macros by adding a "shift" command), still clumsy
- Colorization is done directly in the ROM, so you are limited to ROM space... And in the case of the two colorizations I tested out there, I ran out of memory on both. I tested Avengers, I got about a dozen errors (meaning the colorization macro could not be applied and saved), on Star Trek I got hundred of errors.
- Once colorized, you need to save your ROM, specifying in Pinball Browser the communication mechanism. You have two methods of operation, In-Frame or side channel. In-frame as the name implies use the first four pixels of the DMD to relay the palette switch. Unfortunately this seems broken and does not work. Side channel requires a serial USB cable between the CPU board and PIN2DMD, AND to modify the ROM to add the communication patch. And to add the communication patch, you need the serial number of your CPU board... Which hopefully has not been swapped so you can find the SN at the back of your pinball machine

Also, Pinball browser colorization method does not support 64 colors.

So all in all... I would not even dream of going that route for a Stern SAM machine, at least unless it's supported natively (see above)

Agree with the above. I bought a pin2dmd for my ACDC, and after a couple of evenings trying to figure it out (it's not well documented!), I found that the macro was not present in PB. The macros are tied to pro vs prem, but also to the code version, which may explain why it can't find it? Couldn't get any help from either the colourisation artist or lucky1.

I ended up just putting the original DMD back in...

Agree with the above. I bought a pin2dmd for my ACDC, and after a couple of evenings trying to figure it out (it's not well documented!), I found that the macro was not present in PB. The macros are tied to pro vs prem, but also to the code version, which may explain why it can't find it? Couldn't get any help from either the colourisation artist or lucky1.

I ended up just putting the original DMD back in...

By the way if you want to revisit, I can help you with adjusting to a different revision of the ROM. But can't predict if you will be able to run the macros completely without running out of memory

These are great! Your acrylic redesigns are top notch too!

For Creech, and I'm not saying I'm in (yet), do you have plans to incorporate the speaker tail light mod? It obviously won't work with the new panel. Any plans on developing one for the bigger pin2dmd screen? Oh, and what the hell do I do with my 128x32 once I get a 256x64 pin2dmd? LOL

Received all the new graphic acrylics yesterday, and they look great - crisp, clear and bright. They were the last piece of the BOM I was waiting on to get the first 10 displays out the door.

Below is a video I took tonight, showing the final version of the panel running on my CFTBL. I'm running @slippifishi 's new colorisation (amazing) as well as the final version of my Lolly speaker lights board, which now fades smoothly between patterns (patterns & colours configurable over wifi). The colours and flickering on the video isn't the best - I still haven't worked out how to film DMDs properly :-/

Currently available are IJ WH2O JD BSD TOM TZ CFTBL T2 HS2 FT TAF STTNG, with WPC 95 games (black acrylic with silver Williams logo by @Colywobbles), and SAM/Whitestar (black acrylic) being soon. IJ and TAF lightboards will be fully supported by a low profile lightboard and custom speaker panel with cutouts I have put together.

1st round people, expect a PM tomorrow with details (@Paul @Matt Vince @Mike Parkins @Mfresh @M4carp @Ashram56 @Pick Holder)

2nd round people, just waiting on some more LED panels, which should be here early next week, so expect a PM around then also (@Neil McRae @Jazzbouche @Robbie @Juggler Spencer @Matt Vince @TheFool)

These have been really popular so have pushed out to a third overflow round, still 6 or so left in that round (1-2 month wait).

0_c24mUTU19OdTST0i_sCnwMgH8Me1OIiwQgJzSJqsCtVegpCzGeZj--wWo64JUFtVIDYcm9s4kCdVsJdKHVtaY5Pt3ol8hdl_YMx2ajtdNQFHnwyUfdAi6S77apU3VhMYsGe4tLHq4W2PSF8CM_uiesW605BUzJYutlX2iO-owbR2LQwUOdRddNOgAA5aymdPcuz9VmZPxPHEZbpsXNHzcXXv9CYapo_qRwsP3k3Ik7I4imDNC3XFK3nIjdWTHz95E6VCcX5hni_rwiIDWHZ6sMPPJ4FxaeoPPafXOz1xp7eqST23tEkNg9lp2qeUmUd0IE_3WyOkJRFHEjA9spBl9uXeQ5AU-romt1JmuAfwEz6lfNtsRIMs0FS3s7gR_j_5Aoq9FSeL-K20x2_K_SaVKyJu_fCCdBin7wnBDP85zk2EKT_xLy3-6DEeXXMAAp_fQXAzRmb2YVj3WtfCB8APA1g9BoK4KRCNgpPYKttiz6QKBwHdyK0pBbC96bB8aGw23ehgEjMV-ZpRFDOme4MtfypItbzN1R73ZcghWdBdlgWEFNvAiRBFABeLgvniH068B66bvq8nRvu5cs0xzJtbt8clhKFNu63drtXSln2jq7aJsMc365M0z3Gv1RrJdU24jgozRPH0Dxk4gprZgV16iKWdrxg51daBHKqKybDVPAS9wbXy1-RFw484xknlcKhUhzaqNsOE6oGqC4KVZ559cPrg=w1160-h870-no

a7976tVZSSQQP2nPbSG9WfnRa6o6HTVymZhgvkztHqRSzHwGQMCCDxtxuXm9bVIaN6_3GwM2s1QK1CNICV53wTCDRppXtEdJjrT0My7T8s_IOghNNCzmaeMaYQOi9WysiBiUZiu2lfo6luLKLpnemD0ULMWiU3KWKjC3K7YwadBC1Bs6yM5O-G2Ep-2XIlj3GY2mXD4yNnxi9Rtna5FVxPxelLusLo_WMYa0F9VTRgyaWNR5QEZ29P6O-KntU3cTmJoONkQuj8e2W9la5Ox5sm5nxA4vgG9W40qQAd1NafccVwSICdgIX5ZQYm1otvyffcs2NLeuNALbexIipfo3xtiA3ob1fFAaKWVcZdf47ZNbjEPJQEf1gpfFiZrNbw6q5zLxC8QqR2plJAzI6rMxx-R_Om8pyRl75dC1l-w5xTnAhFp9fuKfb5ZQpWgx7COTVAElSLhv7Ea_fMihMGDeUOYTidv0Ox27HRjdCXAptviwYZmGI-DSvYgS4X11FDJrUbhHVMwmCbLTMAKr2Hgb-dHk4_D1nP0he2U3SYZZMt6v4ynOD-9pK88ntJum1OnA5GxoY_r8eWUNDe_b2B5ymEcx6F4xf4XB0JamGx0t9eRFN0kdc2lm7GJau4Tz_P3Ib5YKLGmNIzCPln1-G1w5ihE_XBgOz6dISXBNMcnf3oNlL1OsgZgEv0o_p3U3fAkrsIeDJQRskEH_PSy5k0n8HyWuqQ=w1160-h870-no

Wow only just saw this, if this could be used on some Stern games I would jump on one for my Star Trek LE.

Wow only just saw this, if this could be used on some Stern games I would jump on one for my Star Trek LE.

Well - apparently its supported:

Although the whole ROM patching thing is a bit out of my knowledge area !

Although the whole ROM patching thing is a bit out of my knowledge area !
That file will only work for virtual pins. For real pins you need some more gubbins. Having just been through this process for SAM machines with my ACDC, it was a royal PITA.

@J85M what you can do is open Pinball Browser and check the macro repository (without loading any firmware). If there is a colourisation there for ST prem/LE latest code version then you can consider PIN2DMD. Otherwise I'd get a ColorDMD instead.

From what I can recall though, @Ashram56 said he'd given it a go for his ST and wasn't successful :(

For those that have paid - Sorry, bit of a holdup. The boxes I'd bought weren't big enough. Waiting on some custom ones to arrive, hopefully the next few days.

That file will only work for virtual pins. For real pins you need some more gubbins. Having just been through this process for SAM machines with my ACDC, it was a royal PITA.

@J85M what you can do is open Pinball Browser and check the macro repository (without loading any firmware). If there is a colourisation there for ST prem/LE latest code version then you can consider PIN2DMD. Otherwise I'd get a ColorDMD instead.

From what I can recall though, @Ashram56 said he'd given it a go for his ST and wasn't successful :(

Yes I can confirm that applying the macro on any Star Trek ROM results into literally hundreds of "out of memory" errors, meaning Pinball Browser cannot perform a given colorization task (which could be one pixel change, or a whole area), so it's a few hundred errors in the colorization in the end.

I therefore gave up on this approach for Star Trek

AC/DC has much more memory than Star Trek, so you actually can run the whole macro without any issue

Slight Technical issue this end... Cant get the Colourisation Rom file for Wh2o since the auther's "mailbox is full" :D

oops!

Back
Top Bottom