What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Size Matters - new HD Pin2DMD 256x64 - Building again!

stumblor

Site Supporter
Alias
Davey Price
Round 1 - 10/10 Closed - Building....
Round 2 - 10/10 Closed - (2w away)
Round 3 - 10/10 Closed - (1m away)
Round 4 - 10/10 Closed - (2-3m away)
Round 5 - Maybe - PM me
-------------------------------
A few months ago Lucky posted on VPUniverse outlining the development of a new Pin2DMD EVO board. The new board uses a much denser 1.875 dotpitch display, meaning that it could display twice the resolution of a traditional DMD, much like the bigger displays used by premium CGC games. The new firmware has two upscaling algorithms, so that existing resolution colour files can be used.

Joerg (Lucky) posted an example image from LOTR to show this scaling in action, and the results are pretty impressive.

1631872558634.png

Mileage across colour files will vary, with the 64 colour files (the newest sort) likely looking the best. Changes have been made to the editor to incorporate the larger size which enables individual scenes and/or images to be replaced with HD content. Hopefully some of the talented colourists will start to release updates for the existing colour files to support this soon (maybe you!).

Due to the chip shortage, production of these boards has been minimal, mainly due to the now almost impossible to find STM32H743 processor. I’ve been keeping an eye on my fabricators inventory (like, a bit obsessively if I’m honest) and a few weeks ago 10 were made available, so I jumped on them, and started production.

Introducing the HD Pin2DMD​

1631872636430.png

1631872705190.png

Screens are on magnets so that line you see in the middle is correctable just by shifting them around a bit. Two of these have been reserved for @PickHolder and one is for me, so that means I have 7 spare boards for those that want to try their hand at the bleeding edge of Pin2DMD tech.

How the hell do I install it

That’s the trick isn’t it? They don’t fit inside an existing speaker panel, your old speaker panel acrylic (the pretty graphics) won’t fit, and your speakers won’t fit (well, one of them will). Lucky describes making a new panel out of laser cut acrylic, which I’m sure is doable using the venerable @Colywobbles as a guide, however I wanted something that was a bit more akin to the original game - including the existing panel graphics.

So.. you guessed it... I built it.

* CNC routed 9mm ply panel
* 2 x 3” 20W speakers
* Hex speaker grills
* (And best of all) 2mm acrylic speaker panel with modified graphics to support the larger format

Here’s my mockup prototype (hand routed). The final ones will be CNC routed, have black speaker grilles, and brighter graphics on the acrylics from a different supplier.

1631872836002.png

1631873537936.png

The acrylic panels are all based on original artwork, that was scanned in at high resolution and then modified by hand, by me. (Disclaimer - Even though I have 20 years experience using photoshop, I’m a hobbyist - these are not vector based redraws akin to the amazing work of @Mikonos and the like. Having said that, they are 300dpi and indiscernible from the originals, resolution wise).

CFTBL, T2, HS2 and TAF are ready to go, with scans of IJ, WH20, JD, BSD, TOM, TZ, FT and STTNG being sent to me in the next week or so. If you have one that I don’t, send it to me and I’ll work on it.

1631873854308.png

1631873838474.png

1631873864264.png

1631873871084.png

Out of these games, this is the status of the colour files:

All the hardware (H channel, speaker latches) will be included to make them plug and play essentially. Power to the boards is 12V and you need to sort that out, as per original Pin2DMD.

@swinks was even nice enough to design me some speaker light brackets, which can house some LED strips driven by your favourite speaker light solution.

1631874278911.png

The HD Pin2DMD in action

Here’s some footage of the @slippifishi creech colour files run through the 2x upscaler. Pretty sure the creech colours are 16 per scene only, so bear that in mind when watching. Some scenes better than others, but still surprisingly good overall. As I said earlier, mileage will vary and will depend on a lot on the original colourations. Maybe with a bit of gently nudging/support/assistance our lovely (and hard working) colourists will get busy upgrading for this new format ;-)

I did my best to record the visuals but there is still some shutter speed flicker, so sorry about that. Amazingly, I was able to get to multiball twice and hit various other modes, which I don't often do. Failed dismally at "move your car" though, that would have been nice to see. From this side angle you can still see that centre line too so need to correct that.

That’s it I think. If you’d like to get in on the action, you have the choice of either the Pin2DMD board itself, or included with the panel. Prices are

* HD Pin2DMD 256x64 (PCB, 2 x LED panels, SD card, activation) £260
* Speaker panel (CNC routed ply, 2 x 20W 3” speakers, 2 x speaker grill, h channel, latches, acrylic with your choice of game) + £100
* Swinks Speaker light brackets +
£10

Bear in mind I only have 7 available, and no idea when more stock of the processor will become available, so when they're gone, they're gone.

The Pin2DMDs are ready to go and can be sent out immediately. If you want a panel also, I need to gauge demand and make my orders, so be prepared for a 3-4w wait on that.

Last edited:
Both options (Just the HD Pin2DMD, or the HD Pin2DMD with speaker panel) with come fully assembled and ready to roll. :)

Just let me know which option you want to go for.

Will deffo have one please mate - need to sit down in front of a screen and work out the ‘variant’ so to speak…. Can’t get to a proper pc until this afternoon as the misses has taken over the office…[emoji1787]

All good mate I'll put you down for one, PM me later with the details when you're ready.

Would like to do this for my TZ. Haven't managed to get the existing colourisation going yet (PIN2DMD locks up shortly after boot for some reason).
Put me down for one anyway please.
mike.

Done!

One set left ... who it gonna be?

I've heard on the downlow that creech is due a 64 colour and HD update shhhhhh

Can you make the Judge Dredd speaker panel in black rather than the blue ?!

Do you mean like the xianek one? Yes should be fine. Just to be clear through these prints are reverse printed UV on 2mm acrylic from a supplier in a china. From all reports Xianeks stuff is amazing quality, so don't expect it to be as good as that, but then it's a different cost differential. My aim is to get them looking as close to the original speaker panels as possible.

I'm still waiting on the scans of JD so ill let you know once they come through if you like?

A few months ago Lucky posted on VPUniverse outlining the development of a new Pin2DMD EVO board. The new board uses a much denser 1.875 dotpitch display, meaning that it could display twice the resolution of a traditional DMD, much like the bigger displays used by premium CGC games. The new firmware has two upscaling algorithms, so that existing resolution colour files can be used.

Joerg (Lucky) posted an example image from LOTR to show this scaling in action, and the results are pretty impressive.

View attachment 147770

Mileage across colour files will vary, with the 64 colour files (the newest sort) likely looking the best. Changes have been made to the editor to incorporate the larger size which enables individual scenes and/or images to be replaced with HD content. Hopefully some of the talented colourists will start to release updates for the existing colour files to support this soon (maybe you!).

Due to the chip shortage, production of these boards has been minimal, mainly due to the now almost impossible to find STM32H743 processor. I’ve been keeping an eye on my fabricators inventory (like, a bit obsessively if I’m honest) and a few weeks ago 10 were made available, so I jumped on them, and started production.

Introducing the HD Pin2DMD​

View attachment 147771

View attachment 147772

Screens are on magnets so that line you see in the middle is correctable just by shifting them around a bit. Two of these have been reserved for @PickHolder and one is for me, so that means I have 7 spare boards for those that want to try their hand at the bleeding edge of Pin2DMD tech.

How the hell do I install it

That’s the trick isn’t it? They don’t fit inside an existing speaker panel, your old speaker panel acrylic (the pretty graphics) won’t fit, and your speakers won’t fit (well, one of them will). Lucky describes making a new panel out of laser cut acrylic, which I’m sure is doable using the venerable @Colywobbles as a guide, however I wanted something that was a bit more akin to the original game - including the existing panel graphics.

So.. you guessed it... I built it.

* CNC routed 9mm ply panel
* 2 x 3” 20W speakers
* Hex speaker grills
* (And best of all) 2mm acrylic speaker panel with modified graphics to support the larger format

Here’s my mockup prototype (hand routed). The final ones will be CNC routed, have black speaker grilles, and brighter graphics on the acrylics from a different supplier.

View attachment 147773

View attachment 147775

The acrylic panels are all based on original artwork, that was scanned in at high resolution and then modified by hand, by me. (Disclaimer - Even though I have 20 years experience using photoshop, I’m a hobbyist - these are not vector based redraws akin to the amazing work of @Mikonos and the like. Having said that, they are 300dpi and indiscernible from the originals, resolution wise).

CFTBL, T2, HS2 and TAF are ready to go, with scans of IJ, WH20, JD, BSD, TOM, TZ, FT and STTNG being sent to me in the next week or so. If you have one that I don’t, send it to me and I’ll work on it.

View attachment 147777

View attachment 147776

View attachment 147778

View attachment 147779

Out of these games, this is the status of the colour files:

All the hardware (H channel, speaker latches) will be included to make them plug and play essentially. Power to the boards is 12V and you need to sort that out, as per original Pin2DMD.

@swinks was even nice enough to design me some speaker light brackets, which can house some LED strips driven by your favourite speaker light solution.

View attachment 147784

The HD Pin2DMD in action

Here’s some footage of the @slippifishi creech colour files run through the 2x upscaler. Pretty sure the creech colours are 16 per scene only, so bear that in mind when watching. Some scenes better than others, but still surprisingly good overall. As I said earlier, mileage will vary and will depend on a lot on the original colourations. Maybe with a bit of gently nudging/support/assistance our lovely (and hard working) colourists will get busy upgrading for this new format ;-)

I did my best to record the visuals but there is still some shutter speed flicker, so sorry about that. Amazingly, I was able to get to multiball twice and hit various other modes, which I don't often do. Failed dismally at "move your car" though, that would have been nice to see. From this side angle you can still see that centre line too so need to correct that.

That’s it I think. If you’d like to get in on the action, you have the choice of either the Pin2DMD board itself, or included with the panel. Prices are

* HD Pin2DMD 256x64 (PCB, 2 x LED panels, SD card, activation) £260
* Speaker panel (CNC routed ply, 2 x 20W 3” speakers, 2 x speaker grill, h channel, latches, acrylic with your choice of game) + £100
* Swinks Speaker light brackets +
£10

Bear in mind I only have 7 available, and no idea when more stock of the processor will become available, so when they're gone, they're gone.

The Pin2DMDs are ready to go and can be sent out immediately. If you want a panel also, I need to gauge demand and make my orders, so be prepared for a 3-4w wait on that.
Thanks you so much for your comment!:)

Greetings!

Speaker Light testing - using the new Swinks bracket (thanks for printing @James !) and driven by my new LollyGI board.

Couple of tweaks required - I didn't figure the left to right width so the brackets have to be slightly off center in order to miss the latch posts. Will fix on the next revision.

These are currently running a modified version of my Lollypops firmware (colours and patterns configurable over wifi) however other firmware such as WLED could also be installed.

Dood this is awesome! -

Can I get the full package for ToM please?

And then ST TNG just the panel.

And what would it take to get i500 (full package) and then panels for the shadow, no fear?

Have you though about if these might work on stern Sam games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dood this is awesome! -

Can I get the full package for ToM please?

And then ST TNG just the panel.

And what would it take to get i500 (full package) and then panels for the shadow, no fear?

Have you though about if these might work on stern Sam games?

* TOM full package - Yep, have all the assets for that ✅
* STTNG panel only - just to confirm you know that the HD Pin2DMD doesn't fit in an existing speaker panel? I have all the assets for STTNG if required.
* i500, TS & NF - would need to get a scan of the speaker panel for each of these. Would it be possible for you to send them to me? I can scan and do the editing for the HD size

Sam games - from what I understand, pin2dmd supports Stern Sam games via pinball browser (HD is no different from a support perspective). @Vimtoman has been working on the testing for TWD maybe he could chime in on what the process is? With regards to the physical aspects, the 9mm ply speaker panel I have made for the current round was modelled on WPC dimensions, so I'm not entirely sure whether this would be compatible with SAM games. Happy to send you a blank to test with though, let me know.

Now as for availability - Unfortunately I sold the last two boards of this round today, however have already got 3-4 people on the waitlist already so likely will have to do another run soon depending on parts availability. At least that gives us time to work out how to obtain the scans of the missing speaker panels and work out the other details.

Yes I can send the panels to you I’ll PM you.

Or you could bring your scanner to flip out and scan a load of games….

Sorry man - when I said panel I meant the speaker panel so I can buy the pin2dmd at a later time.

Bit more information on how to get pin2dmd working on Sam games (Metallica, ACDC etc) using Pinball Browser. The below is for Metallica

- download the pinball browser software from here: [ http://tiny.cc/pinballbrowser ]
- register the software (paypal olivier $10 for a license)
- download the 1.70 rom from the sternpinball.com website
here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-metallica-le
here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-metallica-premium
or here:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/metallica-pro
- pm me with your email address for the macro and smartdmd.txt file (which contains the palette information) <--- Various macros for different games are available from various people
- launch the pinball browser software, and then load in the metallica 1.70 .bin rom file
- from the 'smartdmd' button, click the 'configure your smartdmd device' button, navigate to where the smartdmd.txt file is located and select it (this is one of the files that I emailed you)
- from the 'macros' button, click the 'load' button [folder icon], and select the macro (.pbm) (this is the other file that I emailed you)
- click the 'run' button
- click the 'save as' button [disc icon w/ pencil] to save the new .bin file
- copy the .bin file to a usb drive
- re-flash your machine with the new .bin file

from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/186#post-3573026

Back
Top Bottom