What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simpson`s Pinball (original) questions

W

Wes

Hi Folks, first post so please forgive my ignorance and please be nice.

Its been a while since ive had room in the house for a table, i used to have a Star Wars and White water. Which i had to sell due to moving.

The time has come when i have a little bit of spare cash & room for a table. To be honest i am shocked at the price increase tables have gone through (i wish id of put mine into storage) So i have started looking for an older table with a eye to working my way up to something better at a later date.

I have been offered a original Simpson`s table which from the pictures looks in reasonable condition, i am thinking of taking a trip to go and see it.

Has anybody had any experience with this table ? Is it any good ?

Apparently it has been serviced 12 months ago, What would the folks on here pay for this kind of table ?

I enjoyed playing the machines, but i am not a technical expect, how would i test the table for faults when i go to see it ?

Any advice on this table would be great

Ta

Wes

Hi Wes, my best advice would be to try to persuade a group member to go with you if it's your first in a while.

Failing that, check behind the back glass for any battery leakage, and have a couple of games in it to see if the major mechanisms work (flippers and coils mainly, plus identify any switches or lamps out).

It's pre DMD and not regarded as a classic, so id have thought about £400-500 in value, but others with more experience will know better.

Instead, have you seen there is a Rocky & Bullwinkle on eBay? Now that is a fine game, and also to be had for £500-600 if you're lucky. Data East is less popular so all their titles are more reasonable as far as I can see - loads of good ones in there, like Goldeneye, Baywatch .....

Good luck!

Wes,

Welcome to the forum!

Might not be a bad idea to take someone along if you can - check out the suggestions below (From a US source possibly...)

When you show up, look clean, neat and trustworthy. Appearance is very important to private sellers. Introduce yourself and start to build a relationship. Tell them how nice their town/neighborhood/house is. Ask them how they got the game, how long they have had it, why are they selling it. Be friendly and open; try to be someone they like having in their house. They are more likely to give a good price to someone who puts them at ease. As you go through the inspection, ask if it is OK to open up the game, turn it on, etc. This shows respect and builds trust

Auctions

Dress warmly in the winter; be prepared to stay the whole day. Pinballs are almost always auctioned last. You may be allowed to open the game, you may not. Power it up and see what it does- if it smokes, it’s not your game

Operators

Some may leave you to wander around piles of bird-crap encrusted games, others will watch you like it says “criminal†across your forehead. Ask before doing anything, like opening a game or powering it up. Try and get a feel for what they expect you to be doing. Building trust is important. Dress appropriately for a really dirty environment.

EBay

The camera does lie. Mediocre playfields and backglasses look like NOS champs in 90K jpegs. Descriptions are even less likely to tell the truth. Questions may help- make them as specific as possible. If the seller is cose enough and you are interested enough, ask if you can physically inspect the game. Learn to recognize obvious scams- sellers with no feedback, sellers in Nigeria that claim the game is your home town, games close to home that you are not allowed to inspect.

If they want to talk price right away, see if you can distract them or say “well let’s not talk price until we see what we’ve got†so you can get on with the inspection

• If you are interested, start a methodical inspection, take your time

• Turn on the room lights if possible

• Clear away surrounding stuff

• Cabinet/Legs/Trim

• Use flashlight to inspect the cabinet paint/decals on all sides

• Check legs/trim/coin door for rust, dents, damage

• Check for paint/decal fade or wrinkling-look at all sides

• Check condition of the power cord

• Playfield

• Clean or remove PF glass- Open the coin door, find the lever and release the lock bar. 40s-50s-60s games may require you to remove the two wing nuts inside the coin door to remove the lock bar. Remove the lock bar and slide out the glass.

Place the glass somewhere safe, but not directly on concrete.

• Inspect playfield, check the following carefully

• All parts present? (especially plastics)

• Ramps- look for cracks with the flashlight up close

• Wear- Look carefully around inserts, pop bumpers, top lanes, slingshots, saucers and flippers

• Backglass- get up close with lots of light. Look for scratches, paint lifting and “thinning†of the inks

• If possible, remove the backglass and look at the screened side

• Later games (90s-00s) have translates. They can scratch and they can fade

• Inside Cabinet and Head

• Be sure all balls are removed before raising the playfield!

• You should get familiar with lifting the playfield and opening the backbox on various ages of games

• Open it up- 40s-50s-60s games may require you to remove four screws on the rails around the playfield. 60s Gottliebs have a playfield lock inside the cabinet that requires you to pull a bar forward. Lift the playfield and support it with the propstick, or pull the bottom forward and lean the PF against the backbox. Some 80s-90s games like Addam’s Family have pivoting playfields. Later Bally/Williams and Sega/Stern games have a pull/ pivot mechanism. Opening the backbox: EMs have a key lock in the back door at the top. Early SS games have locks in the side of the backbox or top center in front. After unlocking, lift the backglass at the bottom, then pull it forward slightly to sclear, then lower it enough to free it. 80s Bally backglasses are in a door. Later SS games have a lock top center, lift out the backglass, then lift the speaker panel about 1 ½ inches and bring it forward.

• Completeness- look for missing parts, boards, assemblies, cut wires

• Condition- excessive rust, dirt, signs of spray contact cleaner or lube spray

• Signs of poor repair- odd looking wire, connectors, electrical tape, amateur soldering

• Damage- sign of too much heat (transformers, circuit boards and connector plugs especially), water damage, insects, mice, etc.

• White powder on metal parts under playfield can mean water or saltwater damage

• Paperwork

• Are the manuals, schematics and other typical papers included?

SHOULD YOU TURN IT ON?

• It can be risky. Ask first if they know how functional it is. Be prepared to turn it off right away. Listen for locked-on solenoids buzzing

• Modern games can give you error information and diagnostic tests

• Late 70s-80s games can test switches, displays, sounds lamps

• Resist the temptation to poke around and see if you can get it going- don’t fix anything, no matter how easy or obvious

• Does it boot/reset?

• Will it take a credit?

• Will it start a game?

• Sound board/chimes/bells working?

• Solenoids working?

• Score displays/score reels working?

• General illumination (GI) lights working?

• Feature lights (machine controlled) working?

TIP: Watch your poker face! Don’t talk about how rare it is or how you have been looking for that game for 35 years. Don’t talk the game down- a seller will take comments about the game personally- as if you were attacking them or their business. It’s OK to mention anything that concerns or disappoints you, such as completeness, modifications, and exceptionallyad conditions of any part. Just mention it in passing, like: “Wow, that playfield has seen a few miles†or “Gee, the plastics on this game always seem to be beat upâ€

Bet he is still reading that at midnight.

Welcome to the group Wes.

Pinball prices have gone up quite a lot and it must be a bit of a shock to come back to the hobby after a while to see how much of a increace has taken place in the pinball world.

Plenty of people on both the Yahoo group and on here put machines up for sale before going to ebay at a fair price. Have a look in the "For Sale" section, plus put out a shout for something you would like to own, you never know but you could get the machine of your dreams for a fair price.

Good Luck
wink-1.png

Plenty of people on both the Yahoo group and on here put machines up for sale before going to ebay at a fair price. Have a look in the "For Sale" section, plus put out a shout for something you would like to own, you never know but you could get the machine of your dreams for a fair price.

+1 on that
smile-1.png
Best way to get yourself a pin is through people in the UK pin community. You should get a good price and you know it'll have been treated with care. If you can get to it then I'd say come along to the UK Pinball Party in Daventry in a couple of weeks as there should be a good range of machines up for sale there and you can try before you buy as well as chat to the owner. Details for the party are here....

http://www.ukpinballparty.com/

Welcome to the forum Wes
biggrin-1.png

Paul' date=' post: 1696225 said:
Wes,

Welcome to the forum!

Might not be a bad idea to take someone along if you can - check out the suggestions below (From a US source possibly...)

Hi Paul, thanks for the list, i presume you have been asked this kind of question a few thousand times before
smile-1.png

cooldan' date=' post: 1696224 said:
Hi Wes, my best advice would be to try to persuade a group member to go with you if it's your first in a while.

Failing that, check behind the back glass for any battery leakage, and have a couple of games in it to see if the major mechanisms work (flippers and coils mainly, plus identify any switches or lamps out).

It's pre DMD and not regarded as a classic, so id have thought about £400-500 in value, but others with more experience will know better.

Instead, have you seen there is a Rocky & Bullwinkle on eBay? Now that is a fine game, and also to be had for £500-600 if you're lucky. Data East is less popular so all their titles are more reasonable as far as I can see - loads of good ones in there, like Goldeneye, Baywatch .....

Good luck!

Cooldan Thanks for your advice.

I have brokered a bit of a deal with the guy that has this table. I sell IT Equipment so ive offered him a some computers & a laptop for his office in return for the table. So the Simpson's seem the right sort of money.

The R&B table you mentioned looks good, but i think it will go for a little over my price range.

Should anybody else have a table they are looking to get rid of, and fancy coming to a deal for some IT kit (Business or Home users) let me know
biggrin-1.png

replicas' date=' post: 1696230 said:
Bet he is still reading that at midnight.

Welcome to the group Wes.

Pinball prices have gone up quite a lot and it must be a bit of a shock to come back to the hobby after a while to see how much of a increace has taken place in the pinball world.

Good Luck
wink-1.png

Cheers replicas

Had a quick mooch for the yahoo forum but could find it (am i being stupid here? ) any chance of a link.

Hi Guys,

I am going to have a look at this table tomorrow.

Just a quick question - Is there any button/method that can be used to test for errors & faults on this table ? I really dont want to be buying a pin that's goosed

Hopefully all being well i can bring it home and post a few pictures

Wes' date=' post: 1696271 said:
The R&B table you mentioned looks good, but i think it will go for a little over my price range.

it went for £560. i'm wishing i'd bought it myself now, i coulda swapped across anything on my R&B (which is in good nick itself) that looked better on the new one, made myself a better table, and sold the Frankensteined-table at cost. rats. oh well, someone got themselves a bargain, it's not often you see a fine DMD machine go for that price these days. i hope it was someone on the forum
biggrin-1.png

cooldan' date=' post: 1696481 said:
it went for £560. i'm wishing i'd bought it myself now, i coulda swapped across anything on my R&B (which is in good nick itself) that looked better on the new one, made myself a better table, and sold the Frankensteined-table at cost. rats. oh well, someone got themselves a bargain, it's not often you see a fine DMD machine go for that price these days. i hope it was someone on the forum
biggrin-1.png

To be honest id forgotten about that table, within my price range as well. Devastated

Back
Top Bottom