What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silk Screening Warning Notice on Back Box

Steve

Registered
I decided to try out the back box warning screen I bought from the guy on Pinside. This is my first attempt.

I followed his YouTube video to the letter, including using Nickles as spacers! (I found them in my kitchen junk drawer). The only thing I didn't know is how thick/thin the ink should be? I decided to thin it a little straight from the can but this was a mistake as the colour is a little washed-out. I couldn't source the ink he recommends so did a bit of research and tried a water-based ink for use on painted wood.

I wasn't too bothered how it came out as I plan to re-paint the box anyway, but it's been a useful exercise and my second attempt will be with un-thinned ink. Could use some input from Rudi on this.

IMG_2253.jpg IMG_2254.jpg IMG_2255.jpg IMG_2257.jpg IMG_2258.jpg

Yours came out better than mine where did you get it? I need to redo mine it dried out to faint. Was gonna go the enamel route but if you can't find it might go your way. I was the same re the ink thinning I just thinned it till it looked about the same as his (pos why mine came out very faint)

Water-based ink makes the cleaning up so easy, I just took it in the garden, squirted it with some Fairy Liquid and hosed it off. Came out completely clean and ready to use again.

I'm thinking next time I might give it 2 passes with the squeegee as well to really get the ink down.

Think that's what I ended up doing

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382289874.314131.jpg
See it's to faint for my liking after it dried

That was using acrylic screen printing medium which was a **** idea

Don't do two passes whatever you do. It only need one pass for a perfect finish. You need to load the screen and the squeegee before the pass. Yes you messed up thinning the paint, it needs to be thick. I use a celli based paint that needs a special thinners to clean up but the results are perfect and it gets eaiser the more you do. What squeegee are you using?
If you want any pointers just ask.
I have done over 60 backboxes and had no problems.
I dont think a water based paint is the way to go, it just spells trouble to me.

Don't do two passes whatever you do. It only need one pass for a perfect finish. You need to load the screen and the squeegee before the pass. Yes you messed up thinning the paint, it needs to be thick. I use a celli based paint that needs a special thinners to clean up but the results are perfect and it gets eaiser the more you do. What squeegee are you using?
If you want any pointers just ask.
I have done over 60 backboxes and had no problems.
I dont think a water based paint is the way to go, it just spells trouble to me.

Yup I shouldn't of gone with the easy water based option. I used a triple free squeegee. Where did you get your paint and thinners from? (Dunno why I didn't ask to start with)

I am not sure off the top of my head but will find out the bill and let you know where I got the paint and thinners from.
Its not cheap stuff I think all in for a one lt paint and a five lt thinners inc del it was over a ton.

That does look factory original. I can't actually remember seeing a factory original machine but that looks very pretty.

Looks really good what ink did you go with for the warning text

You can just make out the details on the ink container in the pic above. They also sell the squeegees. It's water-based and is a great colour match and is really easy to clean up.
Most people prefer oil-based ink but the only advantage to oil-based ink is it doesn't dry quickly so you can work it longer, but when I'm only doing one back box at a time this wasn't important.

You can just make out the details on the ink container in the pic above. They also sell the squeegees. It's water-based and is a great colour match and is really easy to clean up.
Most people prefer oil-based ink but the only advantage to oil-based ink is it doesn't dry quickly so you can work it longer, but when I'm only doing one back box at a time this wasn't important.
Did you add any thiners this time around

Back
Top Bottom