What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Show machines

Carl Spiby

Registered
Possibly looking for a couple of reliable but inexpensive machines for show use, namely for NERG, and Daventry, not shy of a little bit of work to get them running 100%.

Cheers.

So you are looking for a couple of project machines to do up and take to the up coming shows ? Yes ?

Nice to see people are still wanting to support the shows by taking along machines.
Without people like Carl we would not have shows for the pinball community to enjoy.
There is less and less support with people bringing machines to shows these days which means no support = no shows. I can understand that machines are hard to come by these days and are a lot more expensive than what they used to be, most people have there pride and joys in there collection and don't want to take them to show for other people to play because they don't want sticky fingers on there machines and every time they get moved they end up getting a little scuff or mark on them. Which I can totally understand machines are a lot of money these days and most people don't want the hassle of moving there pride and joy with the chance of anything happening to it.
But don't forget without people bringing there machines to shows for people to play we will soon have no shows for people to attend. Big thanks to those who do bring there games to the shows and great to see that like in this post there are still people wanting to carry on supporting the shows of the future.
D.

Looking forward to seeing you and the other guys (NLP and Carl) on Friday Daz.

Your help is greatly appreciated and still needed, both your technical support and pin donations.

...and every time they get moved they end up getting a little scuff or mark on them. Which I can totally understand machines are a lot of money these days and most people don't want the hassle of moving there pride and joy with the chance of anything happening to it.

I've taken machines to almost every show in the last few years, and will continue to do so.

As you say, there will inevitably be the odd little scratch or scrape. I don't have a problem with that myself, it certainly doesn't affect the game play and doesn't really affect the aesthetics.

However, I have had a number of sales drop through because of the 'condition' of the machine. Anyone who has ever played one of my machines knows that they ALWAYS play absolutely perfectly, every switch working, always cleaned thoroughly (not just a quick wipe over, but actually stripped), set up level, etc. etc.
In one instance it was because the side art on the back box on WPT had a couple of scratches. What the hell could be expected for a machine over 10 years old, which has been to the majority of shows - and never had a single fault throughout the whole of that time! I've been asked for pictures of the manual, and had people asking for money off the whole machine because one of the pages had a crease in it, WTF! Why do you need a photograph of the back of the back box when buying a machine?

I could choose not to take my machines to a show, but then if everyone thought that way, there'd be no shows, no comps, basically no social pinball at all. We can each sit at home and play only the machines which we purchase ourselves, or those of a small group of friends.

People need to have realistic expectations as to what to expect when buying a SECOND HAND machine. If they want an absolute pristine machine, then buy NIB or pay for a full restoration and then when they do have it they can sit and admire how beautiful it looks without ever playing it.

I'll continune to take machines to the show, whatever I have at the time, but fear that the reason others may not is because of this fixation with every machine being bought being pristine, they then won't be able to sell their machine in the future.

Anyway, rant over - and credit to those people who take machines to shows all over the country.

I think folk with collections ought to consider having a show game. One that works properly, but that they aren't too precious about.

I bought my wpt to be a show game. The mantle was then taken by my fish tales.

I have taken many top end machines to shows it’s much better to take a nice pin than a ****ta it can sit there all weekend being played with no issues and no stress having to fix it every 2 mins wrap them up well transport them carefully a full weekend never puts more than 300 plays on them anyway give them a quick clean and maybe a re rubber when back home and nobody will be able to tell
I have sold many pins at shows and nobody has ever bothered about the amount of plays on them it gives the buyer a great opportunity to give them a good look over and test

Nice to see people are still wanting to support the shows by taking along machines.
Without people like Carl we would not have shows for the pinball community to enjoy.
There is less and less support with people bringing machines to shows these days which means no support = no shows. I can understand that machines are hard to come by these days and are a lot more expensive than what they used to be, most people have there pride and joys in there collection and don't want to take them to show for other people to play because they don't want sticky fingers on there machines and every time they get moved they end up getting a little scuff or mark on them. Which I can totally understand machines are a lot of money these days and most people don't want the hassle of moving there pride and joy with the chance of anything happening to it.
But don't forget without people bringing there machines to shows for people to play we will soon have no shows for people to attend. Big thanks to those who do bring there games to the shows and great to see that like in this post there are still people wanting to carry on supporting the shows of the future.
D.
Added to which it's shows that get people into it, which can result in higher sale prices for existing owners etc.

Playing on the range of pins at EGX last year rekindled a decades old love of playing pinball for me.

Looking forward to seeing you and the other guys (NLP and Carl) on Friday Daz.

Your help is greatly appreciated and still needed, both your technical support and pin donations.
Looking forward to supporting the Scottish show again this year and as always the warm hospitality we always receive from the Scottish Pinball guys and girls.
See you guys Friday afternoon.

I'm gutted I can't support the Scottish or Blackpool show this year. First I've missed in 5 years :(

Well said guys - cant wait to get up Glasgee on Friday night and meet up with everyone it feels like it's been a while!

Cheers

Kev

PS is anyone meeting up friday night for food and beer ?wetherspoons

I've been asked for pictures of the manual, and had people asking for money off the whole machine because one of the pages had a crease in it, WTF! Why do you need a photograph of the back of the back box when buying a machine?

Personally speaking, I'd be embarrassed to even ask questions like that (I might check if there was a manual while having a look at the machine), but I suppose there are 'Originazis', the sort who want everything exactly as-factory, matching numbers, or whatever, in pinball as well as with other areas, such as 'collectors'* cars. Would they like to have badly set-up flippers, bumpers, etc? That really would make the machine as shipped

* Btw, having been in the amusement trade, the term "collectors car" brings up a picture of a dirty F**d Broomstick, with diesel-stained paintwork, a roll-top safe in the boot, and filled with cigarette ash (the car, not the safe)

Last edited:
Had a couple of PMs, looking to make a decision before the end of this week so does anyone have anything else that want to part with? Doesn't HAVE to be a project machine, if the cab is just a bit rough, then thats fine too as long as it plays fine.

There was a Maverick for sale on Gumtree in the Newcastle area. Not too sure if it's still available.

Back
Top Bottom