What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping a Machine..

Mustang Pete

Registered
Getting closer to shopping my Spiderman i have just acquired.. so many parts and i want to do the job to my best ability
Started a shopping list of parts i need... but wondered if there is a definitive guide available with tips and processes to carry out

Quite happy to take pictures and notes on the way, but always willing to learn before i take the plunge..

Tips and recommendations are always welcome.... and WHY do they call it `shopping` ??

Peter Parker

" but wondered if there is a definitive guide available with tips and processes to carry out " anyone ??

It's each to their own to be honest @Mustang Pete - depending on what is needed. If I were in your shoes, if I had to do anything I would,

- Strip the playfield down and clean all of the plastics and toys (something you have begun to do already by the looks of it)
- Replace all of the rubbers, if you plan on keeping for a very long time, track down a TITAN rubber kit, people such as @MartinY and @Neil McRae swear by them, they claim to have a much longer life cycle, although I personally cannot comment.
- If the game doesn't have an LED OCD board, track one down and fit that, along with a full LED of the game, there are varying kits available, my personal preference of supplier is @philpalmer - but again, others are available and you have to find what is right for you.
- Detail clean of the game playfield with everything off, again, if buying LED's from Phil, he can supply a Novus set.
- Clean all the switches, this will involve some Isopropanol alcohol (IPA 99.9%) a cotton bud and just clean the switches off, particular attention to the slings.
- Re-set any duff switches in the game, main switches set ensuring a hit registers, you can use the switch test menu to check this with the game on.
- Pay particular attention to the slingshot switches, some people like them to go off if the ball brushes past, some like them a little more forgiving, find your level and adjust as so.
- See if you want some sideblades from @PeteB - he does a discount for members, I can tell you the quality is excellent.
- Get some wax for the game, give the playfield a wax.
- Re-assemble.
- Check the code is the latest version, one would assume on an older game it is, but always worth checking.

Once re-assembled, certain targets, or elements might require re-dialling in, having not owned a SM, I don't know the areas of the game that require specific attention.

Hope that helps, I am sure others will add their experience on what else may be worth doing.

Dont forget all the major mechs shjould be stripped down and cleaned/rebuilt etc - especially the flippers/slings etc to make it nice and snappy. replace coil sleeves and linkages etc if needed.

have a look at some of the shop logs on the forum to give you a good idea. You can doa little or as much as you want, dpebeds if you want to bring it back to showroom spec.

I did one on a demolition man that looked like it had been in a swamp so anything is possible.

take a look but its a long one !!! https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/demolished-man-a-painful-and-very-slow-shop-log.29033/

Cheers

kev

Back
Top Bottom