What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks from EU Machine?

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
Embarrassing question time...

I have a Tron LE that was bought from Germany but originally came from Canada. It has a European plug on it and I use an adapter to plug it in. Noticed that it gives me the odd shock, especially when I'm touching the machine next to it. If I replace the EU plug with a UK plug should this sort it, or is there something else I should try?

Apologies for the stupid question, never been good with electronics!

If it has an earth cable to wire to the middle pin then most likely yes - if not then check the machine out. If it still shocks you then it's faulty and should be sold to me lol :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has an earth cable to wire to the middle pin then most likely yes - if not then check the machine out. If it still shocks you then it's faulty and should be sold to me lol :)

Haha thanks, I'll keep that in mind! I may just try cutting the EU plug off in that case and wiring a UK plug.

Does the adapter have an earth?

To be honest with you I can't remember; I'm at work right now so can't check, and it's been ages since I've looked at the thing. I'm going to be breaking it down tonight to lend it to my dad for a while, so I'll check then and update.

I'm going to be breaking it down tonight to lend it to my dad for a while, so I'll check then and update.

Poor Dad! he in for a shock lol

Yes. You need to earth both machines properly. Many adaptors don't do this effectively.

I'd recommend getting a cheap multimeter off ebay , you can easily check the machine is earthed by putting one lead on the earth pin of the plug (or travel adaptor) when unplugged and the other pin on any metal cab parts. No electronic knowledge required, meter will buzz if it's earthed properly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131754083943

Yes. You need to earth both machines properly. Many adaptors don't do this effectively.

Thanks Andy - any idea where I could find one that does, or am I better of switching out for UK plug?

I'd recommend getting a cheap multimeter off ebay , you can easily check the machine is earthed by putting one lead on the earth pin of the plug (or travel adaptor) when unplugged and the other pin on any metal cab parts. No electronic knowledge required, meter will buzz if it's earthed properly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131754083943

Thanks for the suggestion - the plug on the machine is just a two pin but the adapter has an earth pin so I'll give it a go.

This game must be earthed. Depending on what type it is, a two pin plug might not have an earth

No earth ...

image.jpg

This one has an earth ...

image.jpg

Your game needs a three core flex and a regular uk plug on it. Without an earth your game is unsafe

Can you post pictures of the plug on the game pls

Do modern Stern machines have a 'fixed' lead, i.e. hard-wired to the machine, or a detachable kettle-type lead plugged in at the back of the cabinet? If the latter, it would be simplest to change the whole lead for a u.k one.

Last edited:
This & related seems to come up often.

What I don't understand is if the machine isn't earthed, then how do the mech's activate when they are switched to earth by their driving transistors?

Modern Stern's leads are fixed, not detachable kettle type, and they will always have an earth, don't think Stern have got to that stage of cost cutting yet :rofl:

Guy, check out the ebay link for the cheap meter in my previous post, just over a fiver and will do the job!

The main problem is that adaptors don't necessarily connect properly to the earth of the two pin plug.

Neutral is effectively earth. It is notionally at the same potential as earth. So you still have an earth reference point. But as your earth is absent, the earthing of the machine is not fixed to the same point as the adjacent machine. The untied earth potential can move off of zero volts due to the loading of the machine. So you create 'earths' that are at two different potentials, and then you get the shock when you touch both. An earth ties these metal parts together so that they are at the same potential and don't create a Voltage difference between them.

Modern Stern's leads are fixed, not detachable kettle type, and they will always have an earth, don't think Stern have got to that stage of cost cutting yet :rofl:

Guy, check out the ebay link for the cheap meter in my previous post, just over a fiver and will do the job!

My ghostbusters is IEC C14 connector (commonly know as kettle cord but proper kettle cords are keyed to indicate high temp as C13/14 are rated to only 70C). My medival madness also had C14 connector.

As noted above though chop the plug off and fit UK one - check the fuse to use also.

Neil

My ghostbusters is IEC C14 connector (commonly know as kettle cord but proper kettle cords are keyed to indicate high temp as C13/14 are rated to only 70C). My medival madness also had C14 connector.

As noted above though chop the plug off and fit UK one - check the fuse to use also.

Neil

Ah right, must have changed with Spike games, didn't realise. I've got 8 SAM and whitestar they're all fixed.

Back
Top Bottom