What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shiny legs!

MarkS

Site Supporter
Alias
jonah
When I got my FT the legs were a bit grim - they looked more rust than chrome - and I wondered about buying a new set of legs:

DSCF4949.JPG

A couple of hours of rubbing them down with wet aluminium foil and hey presto:

DSCF4982.JPG

It didn't bring them up completely perfect, and my fingers were stained black for a while, but it saved £65 :)

Seriously? We aluminium foil? No way! They may not be perfect but not bad for a saving of £65! I reckon you could stretch for a set of shiny new leg levellers now ;)

Just noticed @MarkS you're location is Surrey. Anywhere near the Guildford/Aldershot end of Surrey? I'm half way between.

Ha yes, I couldn't easily do the leg levellers... I never even thought of buying a set of those separately, I wish you'd pointed that out before Daventry :)

I'm on the other side of Guildford towards Leatherhead, but often whizzing past your area on the A31 en route to family in Hampshire.

Try dipping the foil in coca cola for a quicker result. The acid in the coke dissolves rust quicker and also there is some electrolysys going on with the natural electricity generated through your body onto the foil. (anode cathode).

Supermarket Diet coke is better - it's not sticky, so therefore less hassle :)

I did mention coke before, however the naysayers shouted me down... lol

Remember nick @Pinsannon putting pin legs in a tube with cola in,tho don't remember results other than they improved

Tin foil... Water (however coke works better) - wet the foil well and rub... :)

I would take a square about 6" and fold and fold until around 1".. It'll scrunch up when holding it anyway, however either will do....

Wet with lots of water/coke etc and rub over the offending area... Lots of elbow grease back and forwards... Work in small areas and wet when it starts to dry out....

your fingers get black very quickly but it takes forever for the black to wear off. Doesnt seem to scrub off either so you have grey fingers for a week or so..

Yep took ages for me to get my hands clean first time I tried it out.
You must be doing it wrong Paul.

What a great thread. I have just bought a funhouse with dreadfully rusted legs. This foil thing works a treat

Were these legs chromed to start with though ?

I ask as I have found with my old Bally fathom which was horribly pitted that it is just a solid metal alloy that rusts. Even if you file it (therefore taking off any metal coating) it just polishes up like every other piece of pressed metal (flipper plates etc) in the game

Back
Top Bottom