What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharpening up a tired, sluggish game

DRD

Registered
To old hands, this will all be obvious. But for those newer on the scene ...

My banzai was a really sad, tired game. Every switch worked, but the game was horribly sluggish. I have been doing a shop log on it, and was quite concerned that it was not really improving. My bk2k is stood next to it and it just played so much better for a fellow system 11 game. But Banzai is now finally transformed and playing properly.

Something like a sluggish slingshot or popper is down to so many factors, just sorting a couple might not make much difference. With my banzai all of the following were done to the slingshots ...

1. New slingshot rubber to be more responsive to balls triggering the switches
  2. Cleaned the switch contacts with isopropyl alcohol so they triggered more quickly
  3. Adjusted the switch gaps as the new rubber altered these
  4. Waxed playfield makes the ball travel faster, so the slingshots in turn react more quickly and are more likely to be triggered during play
  5. New balls travel faster
  6. Cleaned solenoid plunger, the oily spring, gunked end stop and solenoid sleeves to sharpen the response, used ipa
  7. Cleaned kicker pivot (ipa) as this had both moist and dried engine grease and black gunk slowing it down

My 3 poppers were also dreadful and are now similarly transformed, without any new parts or cash spent

This is a very good point and a must read for newbies.
Just because you have the machine in your house and up and running doesn't mean that everything is as it should be.

A damn good cleaning and waxing, new balls and then some funurdling of the switch contacts is a must to get a machine playing as it should.

Having the pin perfectly level is a must. Really does affect your scores if it's not spot on. Adjusting the flippers so the small role pin is in line with the flipper affects the shots you can make.

I used to think that, but I don't use a level anymore.

I set a table up so it looks roughly level, then tweak it until the game plays right.

I was previously finding that some games play terribly when perfectly level, and certain shots drain straight down the centre etc

I used to think that, but I don't use a level anymore.

I set a table up so it looks roughly level, then tweak it until the game plays right.

I was previously finding that some games play terribly when perfectly level, and certain shots drain straight down the centre etc
+1

Back
Top Bottom