What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sega Whitestar issue?

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Scratching my head with this one! it's an x files, done a fair amount of work on the cpu board due to corrosion! I'm certain the board is good and has been running fine compared to what it was. But the issue now is no coils are working in the game? they work in test. Now here is the thing it has a rotten dog driver board! and I was getting the same issue earlier but the status light on the driver board was going out at which point all the coils stopped working, I could restore this by running my fingers along the pins of the little IC next to the status light and the led would come back on, it's a TC1232 and monitors the +5v and watchdog for mpu (I think) and maybe that is faulty but not sure why coils would work in test but not in the game. It has done this before but the coils started working again? But seem stubborn this time!

Cheers Ronnie

It's not something daft like an intermittent switch on the coin door is it ?

It's not something daft like an intermittent switch on the coin door is it ?

Wish it was that simple but thanks for the reply.

Just an update if I unplug the trough opto receiver the coils spring to life? But in switch test all the trough switches are working, but funny enough I reflowed the solder on this opto board today so could be related!

Wish it was that simple but thanks for the reply.

Just an update if I unplug the trough opto receiver the coils spring to life? But in switch test all the trough switches are working, but funny enough I reflowed the solder on this opto board today so could be related!
Check for shorts caused by bridged solder joints.

Cheers will have another look at it today but sure it was soldered properly

Well I found the issue! Not related to the opto either, the ball trough wires go into a connector plug that joins it along with the coils to the main loom, the 2 coil wires were loose in the plug! I guess me messing with the opto board made them looser and stopped working and what confused me were no flippers etc but the game must keep them off until the ball is served?

Just the one issue with the rotten dog driver board which is brand New! The coil volts drop out along with the status led but as I said can be instantly restored by rubbing my fingers along that monitor chip! I emailed rotten dog but no reply!

Cheers Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom