What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sega Large Screen Alternative...

DrPinball

Registered
Hi

I just installed an LCD panel into my Baywatch - I used a trusty DMD Extender connected to an LCD controller board and a 17.3" laptop screen. A bit of plywood helped the mounting and power comes from the pinball.

I'll post full instructions for any DIYers out there. I'll also show how to do the same for regular DMDs.

Video of it in action...

Cheers

David.

I'd like to implement this on my bay watch. Can you put me down for a kit for nlp ? Kit= whatever bits you supply. I know I have to buy extra bits.

I'd like to implement this on my bay watch. Can you put me down for a kit for nlp ? Kit= whatever bits you supply. I know I have to buy extra bits.

No problem - I'll supply what I can. The full instructions and sources of the remaining components will be detailed in the instructions that will be up on my web site before NLP.

You don't have to have the hideous colour scheme - I was just playing around with it!

The colour complements the game, nice one there Dave.
I take it there will be more in the pipeline.

Great work, it really is impressive. I take it from this that no-one has attempted to patent the rights to a colour DMD for Sega machines? Does this mean Data East as well?
Another important thing here is that with these large screens getting harder to come by, there is a replacement available that can add something more to the machine.

I think that the colour dmd patent relates to the colouring of individual frames. The concept here is that a colour is assigned to each shade of normal display, and not individual frames, so can be used without infringement.

The problem with colour changing on these big dmd games is that they use animations based on actual video footage as opposed to standard dot animation, thus each image originally has a abundance of different "real-life" shades, as opposed to other games where the average graphic would need two shades of a colour at best.
That's why it has that weird look, kinda like a photography negative. Accurately painting in all those real skin tones and such would be an insanely monumental task.

But this isn't a negatron post, I'm totally stoked that the large DMD has a viable replacement on the way, and in pretty quick time from when you scooped up the machine. Congrats for the work and effort Dr P :)

No problems with patents and copyrights etc, as @pinballmania pointed out, this is just the stock Extender software using different colours for each shade. It's possible to choose one colour and have it shade correctly like the original orange DMDs.

Also, as @OrochiLeona pointed out, this isn't always going to look right especially with the live action components of the DMD footage - I just wanted to try it out and it looks quite eye catching, even if it's not photo realistic ;). I'll try to do another vid with it set to just one colour so you can see it in a native form.

It's an awesome piece of kit, that should fill that gap for all those with bust Sega's.
I hope it brings you much success.

Cheers - I'll have DMD Extenders for sale at NLP. Let me know if you want one.

Back
Top Bottom