What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scammers

Sako-TRG

Site Supporter
Selling a Motorcycle just now....
Apart from a Triumph forum - also got it on Gumtree for 1st time ever.
Received a txt message as follows:-
Do you still have the Motorbike?plsemail rosewilliams0001@gmail.com

I then emailed to say - still available:
Got this response relatively quickly:

Thanks for your response,

I want you to consider this a deal as i am willing to pay your full asking price! i actually want to buy it for a relative who is in need of it, i have checked through your advert and i'm fully satisfied with it.

Unfortunately, i would not be able to come personally to collect but would send my courier agent to collect after you have fully received your money, i work offshore so i don't have time at all, but like i said i am 100% OK with the advert.

However, I will pay you via PayPal once you are ready and send my courier agent after you have received your money as that is the only means of payment available to me at the moment. I would also appreciate if you could remove the advert asap.

If that's Ok with you please get back to me with a suitable collection time.

🙄🙄🙄

Something tells me I’d get a fake PayPal payment / link.
A paid agent would try and collect and drop off my bike at a pre-arranged destination then adios amigo 💰

How do you get a fake Paypal payment? - surely you send an invoice and can see if its been paid or not. [not that I'm disagreeing that the rest of it is dodgy]

He pays you with paypal - once he gets the bike he reports you to paypal for not sending the item (dont forget - he sent the courier so you have no paperwork). He gets the money back. PayPal ignrore you.

A well known con.

I would say 'I want cash, please paypal your courier and he can bring cash'.

Bet you wont hear back.

Screams 100% scam. Instant reply (probably set to send when the scammers get a response), 'I work offshore so can't come and get it myself', 'I want to send a courier'.
My bet is they'd either pull some sort of refund after sending the money or send you a scam link. I would absolutely not sell to this person.

How do you get a fake Paypal payment? - surely you send an invoice and can see if its been paid or not. [not that I'm disagreeing that the rest of it is dodgy]

I might be wrong but I believe the tactic is to claim not to have received the motorcycle and open a dispute?

Either from a hijacked account that the real owner then gets control of again and appeals the payment, or they send an email purporting to be from PayPal notifying you of payment with a link for you to click, which takes you to a fake receipt of payment page plus hijacks your account ready to pay the next victim.

He pays you with paypal - once he gets the bike he reports you to paypal for not sending the item (dont forget - he sent the courier so you have no paperwork). He gets the money back. PayPal ignrore you.

A well known con.

That's what I thought would happen, so the original payment would be real, and the claim for it would be fake.

I guess they can ask you for your PayPal email -
Inform you they have made the payment to your PayPal account.
Send you a link (fake) - redirect and receipt software tailored showing the transaction.
If you login using their link and check the transaction on your device. Depending on your device OS - it may redirect every time. You will think you are actually logging into PayPal?

I had a guy working on an oil rig off Canada wanting to buy a mourners limousine for his nephews graduation as it would be a perfect first car!!

You shouldn’t be following a link someone sent you to PayPal etc, that’s scam 101 guys

type in or set a shortcut/bookmark for the likes of PayPal. If someone says they have Sent you a payment, go to

also if someone you don’t know calls or sends someone else to lift stuff they have paid online for, make them sign for it. Make up a quick sheet with the details of what they are getting. Use this as evidence they have paid and collected If needed.

I spent an hour watching a YouTube channel on Sunday where he winds up scammers and shows the way they set up fake banking webpages etc and then edit the html code to make it look like you have accidentally made an overpayment or received a refund etc. Bit of an eye opener....and also very entertaining.

Agree to it and when the courier comes give him a small matchbox motorbike.

Update:
It looks like this scam happens when you add your mobile to the for sale side of life on Gumtree App.
I removed it.
Potential buyers can still message you via the App anyhow....
Anyway... morale of story, just don’t add your mobile to avoid potential scam and twats phoning you about false insurance claims.
Outcome:
I sold one of my motorcycles for asking price.
Relatively easy within a few days, no fees to pay whatsoever.
I just wonder how well this would do for Pins vs Ebay with fees for PayPal etc..... as a last resort from here...

Back
Top Bottom