What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sailing / racing around the world single handed - sponsors welcome ;)

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
I don't know if we have any sailors on board ;) ...or anyone who might be interested but anyway.

Mrs GrizZ's sister , Pippa, is a professional sailor with years of solo ocean racing experience. She will be competing in the Vendee Globe single handed round the world race in 2020 - if you don't know sailing this race is as BIG as it gets. It's the Everest of sailing. Gets huge media attention around the world. The pinnacle of a sailors career. It's an epic challenge but Pip is hard as nails and will accept nothing less than winning it :D

She is looking for major corporate sponsors so if any of you guys are in a position to pull any strings or put her in touch with people let me know or you can contact her through her website :thumbs:

http://pipoceanracing.com/

She is currently racing across the Atlantic , updates on her Official Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/PipHareOce...079857899910750651036584122119705110775698881

Last edited:
Media interest is beginning to ramp up on this - Pip has just had this feature in the Daily Mail

Still looking for more sponsorship so any companies interested do get in touch.

The boat is awesome - I went down and had a crawl around inside it. Hardcore ocean racer!

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Good luck to her, I’ve had a few small fishing boats and crapped myself a few times and that’s with land in sight!!!
Did you know boat stands for ‘bring out another thousand’
Good luck with the sponsorship👍

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

That's a tough race, but almost as tough is raising the money! Good luck!

I wrote one of the autopilot systems for Ellen McArthur's attempt 20 years ago, the idea being to use wave sensors and mega accurate gyros to predict drift and nudge the boat by fractions of a degree into the most efficient path. The level of testing and investment that went into it was enormous even then - I'd imagine even more so now. Nearly didn't get to the start line when late on they added some additional computing power and the weight stopped the self-righting capsize tests from getting the boat up upright again!

Was a scary time waking up each day and hoping that during one of her 15min naps the boat hadn't steered itself into an island somewhere!

That's a tough race, but almost as tough is raising the money! Good luck!

I wrote one of the autopilot systems for Ellen McArthur's attempt 20 years ago, the idea being to use wave sensors and mega accurate gyros to predict drift and nudge the boat by fractions of a degree into the most efficient path. The level of testing and investment that went into it was enormous even then - I'd imagine even more so now. Nearly didn't get to the start line when late on they added some additional computing power and the weight stopped the self-righting capsize tests from getting the boat up upright again!

Was a scary time waking up each day and hoping that during one of her 15min naps the boat hadn't steered itself into an island somewhere!

Wow. That's very interesting. I'm seeing her at the weekend and I'll be able to tell her one of the pinheads helped Ellen McArthur :thumbs:

And yes the financing is tough ....but it's a lifelong dream and this is her shot at it. So its happening one way or the other :D

Just seen Pip on BBC Breakfast on her way to New Zealand, amazing!!!
Merry Christmas

1609316843604.png1609316889725.png

17 out of 27 at the moment i believe. Passed NZ and heading towards Cape Horn. It must be pretty amazing.

The first boats are arriving tonight. A really tight finish after 80 days of racing. Disappointed that I couldn't find anything about it on the BBC.

The first boats are arriving tonight. A really tight finish after 80 days of racing. Disappointed that I couldn't find anything about it on the BBC.
where does the race finish? You can always email the newsrooms - they've been a bit preoccupied with a pandemic and inventing entirely new ways of working with less staff this year.

EDIT: BBC Cambridge (local news) covered it on 25th Jan 2021: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-54966120

This from November 2020: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-54786716

It was also mentioned in Woman's Hour!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom