What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roadshow - UPDATE No4!! and yes more help needed!!

Andy MD

Registered
Hi all,

After not playing for a bit, turned on my Roadshow and started to boot as usual and then the playfield went off, then a few seconds later, playfield comes on, almost gets to the bongs and then off again. Backbox remains on and powered throughout.

I'm not very technical with things, but would appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks in advance
Andy

View attachment MOV_0757.mp4

Looks like the WPC 5v reset issue to me. Your 5v from the power board to the MPU is dropping low and causing the game to reset. Quick fix is to buy and install one of these:

https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/5v-reset-fix-pcb/

The longer term and proper fix is to buy the components and rebuild the 5v section on the power board:

https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/5-volt-rebuild-kit/

As a starter though, try reseating all of the ribbon cables, especially the short one that goes from the power driver board to the MPU board and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the info.

I have ordered the daughter board I hope this will fix it

Thank you for you're help.

It's my only table at the moment and it's lonely, just need to save a little more

Update

I purchased the 5v daughter board from Pinball Heaven it arrived today installed it, changed the batteries and it fixed the problem. After mucking about with the factory settings and setting time / date etc, played it for a good 15 mins, then in the middle of a game it re-set. Upon boot up the message Ground Short Row 1 Stuck closed appeared and it booted all the balls out of the trough one by one.

Searched this forum and followed the advice of someone who had a similar problem with a Timezone. Unplugged the connector J207 J209 restarted and the message reappeared this time it sounded like the solenoid in Ted's mouth was activating.

Plugged the J207 and J209 back in and inspected the battery board. It's one thats been added and sits above the main board. Reseated all other connectors, including the Z connector and tried one last time and turned the machine on. This time no power to the playfield at all and it resets just like it did originally before the 5v board was installed. The display just about gets to Ground Short Row 1 stuck open and then resets.

Any further help would be great, frustrating as the pin has been faultless for a couple of years

Thanks Andy

Hi. What is your level of experience when it comes to repairing these machines pls ?

Have you got a multimeter ?
Fixed switch matrix problems ?
Identified and replaced bad diodes ?
Replaced knackered connectors ?
Removed boards for minor repairs (reflowed pins, identified and replaced dead transistors )?

My experience is very limited

Yes I have a Multi Meter - No entirely sure how it works!
Don't really understand what switch matrix problems are
Nope to diodes
Nope to replacing anything other than the batteries and balls
No to removing boards

I think it's time I called a professional.

I can do things like clean the palyfield etc but this is my first, and only pin even though I've had it for nearly 10 years. Had it serviced twice, guy called Andy?

I can't zero in on a simple fix here. Given your experience, I would tread very carefully and consider getting a repair guy round.

You probably have a short circuit/ pinched wire/ failed switch. But there are other causes of faults like these.

Row 1 of this tells you where to look ....

Screenshot_20200606-194010_Drive.jpg

This will give you a flavour of some things to look out for ......

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/repair-ground-short-row-1-solved

Could be a knackered uln2803a on the CPU Board - if you disconnect all the bottom connectors on the CPU does the fault go away? I would do them one by one in switch test mode.

Have you checked for any signs of battery acid leakage on the CPU Board?

Also disconnect the ribbon that goes between the power driver board adn CPU board. See if it boots (leave other cables connected!)

The 5v fix PCB takes the unregulated 12v and regulates it to 5V.

Reseat your connectots on all ribbon cables.

The ground issue can be caused if you have messed under the playfield with power on and a lamp matrix wire has touched a switch matrix wire.... On a lot of CPU boards this chip is socketed.

Really appreciate all the support. I'll give it a good look tomorrow.

I did unplug from the bottom connectors and a fault stayed . It was when I plugged them back in again, the machine went back to resetting on start up, but this time no power to the playfield, so I can't get it in to test mode. I didn't lift the palyfild at all during all of this, however, it does have a shaker motor which could have shaken something loose?

The batteries are on a separate board on top of the CPU board

The saga continues. I have managed to get the playfield back on and it does reset. I have been under the playfield and looked at all the connections and wires for row one and I can;t see anything loose or touching something it shouldn't. The video is the test after boot up, but when I have it in test switches and press almost all of the playfield targets it does nothing with the exception of one of the blast targets that quickly then scrolls through several Ground errors.

I appreiciate the help so far, and sorry of I'm in pain in the butt! Any other suggestions would be greatly received.
View attachment MOV_0765.mp4

If you unplugged all the bottom connectors of the cpu and a fault remained then you definitely have a cpu fault. So go no further until u have it repaired.

Andy.

And your video also shows that you have shorts on 5 rows not just row 1. That points to a major cpu problem.

Andy.

One of your batteries is in the wrong way round by the looks of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you remove the battery 'daughter' pcb from on top of the CPU. Need to see if there is any battery leak underneath - also that is where the ULN2803 is located that I suspect has failed.

Many thanks, I'll see if I can remove the boards tomorrow. The old batteries I took out still had voltage and weren't split.

Does it just pull off / unscrew etc?

I change the batteries every year and they are all facing the right way!!

Thanks for spending time reading and helping. Every day is a school day!

This sounds strange, but I manged to get the battery bound off without breaking things - That's an accomplishment for me!! It looks like this. To my very untrained eye, it doesn't look damaged, but any trained observers please take a look
DSC_0770.JPG

Why is J209 connector over hanging the socket?? Are these all plugged in to the correct sockets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks a clean MPU board.
With the power off try exerting a little pressure around the edges of the ASIC chip (the big square one) to make sure it is seated correctly.

Back
Top Bottom