What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Road kings

Hello,

The type used in Road Kings, the '11197' board, doesn't have its own audio amplifier(s) fitted as standard, though the schematic shows them as optional. The 11C board, the '11581', was introduced during production of F-14 Tomcat, and also used in video games such as Smash TV. There was an interim board between these, though, '11298', used in Pin-Bot, Millionaire and early F-14 (where 298 and 581 are interchangeable). I think the earlier uses of the 581 didn't have a cvsd chip for speech, since that was produced on the cpu board with the audio board just producing background sound/music. The two boards otherwise seem to have the same connector assignments, J1 & 2 the volume control and link to Cpu, J3 power input and J4 ribbon cable. I'd compare the schematics carefully, but it may well be feasible.

Last edited:
Hello,

The type used in Road Kings, the '11197' board, doesn't have its own audio amplifier(s) fitted as standard, though the schematic shows them as optional. The 11C board, the '11581', was introduced during production of F-14 Tomcat, and also used in video games such as Smash TV. There was an interim board between these, though, '11298', used in Pin-Bot, Millionaire and early F-14 (where 298 and 581 are interchangeable). I think the earlier uses of the 581 didn't have a cvsd chip for speech, since that was produced on the cpu board with the audio board just producing background sound/music. The two boards otherwise seem to have the same connector assignments, J1 & 2 the volume control and link to Cpu, J3 power input and J4 ribbon cable. I'd compare the schematics carefully, but it may well be feasible.
Hi Jay Thanks for the info Will you let you know how I get on Regards Keith

Hello,

The type used in Road Kings, the '11197' board , doesn't have its own audio amplifier(s) fitted as standard, though the schematic shows them as optional. The 11C board, the '11581', was introduced during production of F-14 Tomcat, and also used in video games such as Smash TV. There was an interim board between these, though, '11298', used in Pin-Bot, Millionaire and early F-14 (where 298 and 581 are interchangeable). I think the earlier uses of the 581 didn't have a cvsd chip for speech, since that was produced on the cpu board with the audio board just producing background sound/music. The two boards otherwise seem to have the same connector assignments, J1 & 2 the volume control and link to Cpu, J3 power input and J4 ribbon cable. I'd compare the schematics carefully, but it may well be feasible.
Hi Jay

Hi Jay Thanks for the info Will you let you know how I get on Regards Keith

Hi Jay
Let me know if I can help with anything Road Kings. Been through mine and recapped the power supply and sound board.

Cheers!

hi can anybody help me , my road kings was working fine till i turned it off . now it comes on but wont play either in free play mode or in normal mode and adding credits . ive got the manual and ive been through all the diagnostics and all seems good no faults and all the relays work in test mode . when you push the start button it just makes the no credit noise . does anybody have any ideas ?

Corrupt ROM? Change batteries and factory reset? Or is it detecting that both balls are present?

ive changed the batterys its still the same . in self test mode no faults come up everything works in test mode . i have it set to free play but when you press the start button it just makes the noise like there are no credits .

Hello,

If it's on free play, then the most likely problem is that it doesn't see the balls. For this age of game, there may not be a display indication for 'Ball Missing' or similar (the slightly later Pin-bot has 'Ball Waiting' as I recall). Do the outhole trough switches show in the switch tests? In the 'Switch Levels' test any switches closed are displayed in sequence, so the trough switches should be mentioned, along with any other switch closed, such as drop target or ramp raised. In the 'Switch Edges' section any switch closed for testing purposes shows on the displays, e.g. starting with the balls taken out, placing one in the drain should show 'outhole', then pushing it over onto the trough would rapidly show each trough switch in turn, settling on the furthest right.

Back
Top Bottom