What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rfm not working

FinalFight

Site Supporter
Last week i switched my RFM on but doesnt do anything no sound/picture or lights on the pf.. the(original) computer is powering and the crt has neck glow ... dad checked all the fuses.
Last time it was used it played fine i never really have it on a long time to be honest so dont think the pc has overheated
Any help would be great
Thank you

Last edited:
sounds like pc isn’t booting up properly.

is it getting correct power and are the boards all seated correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be anything - AT PSU, motherboard, processor, ram fault...

Take the lid off the PC and check that the computer at power supply is running - then make sure the cpu fan is spinning.

Do not plug this computer into 230v - just pull out the pc (lift out backglass - computer hinges out). Then remove the lid of the computer and leave it hanging down. Also make sure the VGA and parallel port cables are plugged and not just come out.

If it was a monitor issue, eventually the playfield will light and go into attract mode.....

sounds like pc isn’t booting up properly.

is it getting correct power and are the boards all seated correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pc power supply has been checked thats okay .. i havent messed with pcs in years didnt you used to get the beeps when ram was playing up... i didnt reseat the prism card as i wasnt sure if it could mess up?
Cheers :)

Could be anything - AT PSU, motherboard, processor, ram fault...

Take the lid off the PC and check that the computer at power supply is running - then make sure the cpu fan is spinning.

Do not plug this computer into 230v - just pull out the pc (lift out backglass - computer hinges out). Then remove the lid of the computer and leave it hanging down. Also make sure the VGA and parallel port cables are plugged and not just come out.

If it was a monitor issue, eventually the playfield will light and go into attract mode.....

Cheers for the reply yeah the pc psu had been checked thats fine do you know if i would be okay reseating the prism card? .. fans on cpu is running and paste is okay... is there no way i could remove and try the computer on a lcd no make it easier?
Cheers
Ste

Last edited:
Because you have nothing on the screen AND the playfield is not lighting up, this suggests the PC isn't booting. Re-seat all boards and connectors inside the computer box and ensure the monitor cable and parallel cable to the driver board are both firmly attached to the outside sockets. There may be a 3rd cable 9 pin D connector - that runs to the near the front door in the cab and is only needed for s/w upgrades.

If you have a meter test the PC's internal power supply is giving out correct voltages it should deliver various voltages +5v, +12V , -5V and -12V.
If one voltage circuit in the PSU has gone, it may look like it's working, but that indeed may be the issue.

Because you have nothing on the screen AND the playfield is not lighting up, this suggests the PC isn't booting. Re-seat all boards and connectors inside the computer box and ensure the monitor cable and parallel cable to the driver board are both firmly attached to the outside sockets. There may be a 3rd cable 9 pin D connector - that runs to the near the front door in the cab and is only needed for s/w upgrades.

If you have a meter test the PC's internal power supply is giving out correct voltages it should deliver various voltages +5v, +12V , -5V and -12V.
If one voltage circuit in the PSU has gone, it may look like it's working, but that indeed may be the issue.

Cheers @AlanJ will try resesting everything .. the psu was checked but will double check and get back thank you :)

Last week i switched my RFM on but doesnt do anything no sound/picture or lights on the pf.. the(original) computer is powering and the crt has neck glow ... dad checked all the fuses.
Last time it was used it played fine i never really have it on a long time to be honest so dont think the pc has overheated
Any help would be great
Thank you

Step 1 check the light on the prism card. There is a yellow light on it. What does it do, if its stays solid then you need to get the computer looked at.

I can take a look at it for you no problem if you want to drop it off or send it to me. I offer a full computer service for £125 plus vat and can install latest software on it at same time etc.

Cheers

Jim

Good news .. the prism card light was solid like you said the only thing i never reseated yesterday was the prism so done that and it booted straight away thanks so much for your help guys..
Any good tips on keeping the original pc running ?
Its all clean and the cpu has new paste is it worth doing anything else?
Cheers

Good news .. the prism card light was solid like you said the only thing i never reseated yesterday was the prism so done that and it booted straight away thanks so much for your help guys..
Any good tips on keeping the original pc running ?
Its all clean and the cpu has new paste is it worth doing anything else?
Cheers

Good news.

On the service front you should be changing both batteries (one is inside the prism, so don't try and open it without the proper tool), the cpu fan and heatsink and checking the motherboard capacitors (especially green cased ones) at a minimum.

Software should be updated to latest version if not already done and motherboard bios should be optimised for fastest boot times.

Good news.

On the service front you should be changing both batteries (one is inside the prism, so don't try and open it without the proper tool), the cpu fan and heatsink and checking the motherboard capacitors (especially green cased ones) at a minimum.

Software should be updated to latest version if not already done and motherboard bios should be optimised for fastest boot times.
Thank you so much jim :) will take a look at the software version too
Cheers
Ste

Back
Top Bottom