What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retirement is it boring

Drew.m

Site Supporter
Alias
Drew
Considering early retirement and wondered if anyone had advice e.g is it crap, did you end up doing the things you thought you would etc

Interested in peoples experiences with it

Drew

Depends on the person and your occupation, for me I have unofficially retired and 54 soon. Not worked for a few years now and loving it.
Got plenty to do if I feel like it but mostly don’t, just like chilling.

Might do some more work later if it pays enough and no hassles but worked my balls off since 16 and feeling it!

Long time dead so why not.

Depends on the person and your occupation, for me I have unofficially retired and 54 soon. Not worked for a few years now and loving it.
Got plenty to do if I feel like it but mostly don’t, just like chilling.

Might do some more work later if it pays enough and no hassles but worked my balls off since 16 and feeling it!

Long time dead so why not.
Yes i suppose you get slightly conditioned into the work thing, i do have a lot of interests so on paper it is appealing i am also 54

Sounds good to me! If only there was a hobby you could pursue……?

I was made redundant January 2021, and being 55 I decided very quickly that I wouldn't be looking for another job. Absolutely loving it so far. A colleague who is 8 years older than me has now gone back to our power station ( they're preparing to be able to return to generating ) because he's bored. To me, if you're bored if you're not working you need more hobbies. Thats never been an issue for me. Work to live not live to work.

Last edited:
I recall something my grandad once said when asked how he was finding retirement
"Im glad I am retired - im always so busy I have no idea how I would find the time to work !"
:)
My inlaws say that, that said they dont seem to do much so f knows what they did when they worked

The couple next door to me are pushing 70 and run a lawn mower sales and repair business. They have no plan to retire ( not money related ). They can't understand what I do with myself all day.

The couple next door to me are pushing 70 and run a lawn mower sales and repair business. They have no plan to retire ( not money related ). They can't understand what I do with myself all day.
Enjoying your life I imagine?
😆

Ok so here’s the question? How much do you need to retire?
As a rough idea i thought it was a case if you can plan on a minium 3% return on low risk investments without touching capital then your good. So 1mil pension pot = £30k a year (+ state pension).. in otherwords quite a bit!.

Hopefully im completely wrong as 49 and soo ready to call it a day. Enough hobbies and interests that i never have time to do any more due to work that id never get bored. Cant wait

the average pension pot in the UK is about £60k if im right.

Allot of people are in for a big shock!!

Thinking of retiring early?
You’ll have a higher mortality so better get a start on those bucket list items.

Me, I’ll work till I drop.

See you on the other side.

Considering early retirement and wondered if anyone had advice e.g is it crap, did you end up doing the things you thought you would etc

Interested in peoples experiences with it

Drew
Hello Drew,

One thing you absolutely must do for your retirement is PLAN for it both in items of finance and activity. What are you going to do 12 hours a day seven days a week Gardening and DIY all soon get done (or maybe not) To have a plan which you implement BEFORE retirement is crucial otherwise you become an assistant housewife and day time TV addict (that is bad on both counts) I retired when I was 60 and increased my restoration work with pinball machines to about three days per week. I also joined my local Bowls Club. Yes I know you have to be careful which chair you sit in, but its a an activity that gets you involved with the community and out and about. Been secretary for 10 years now so I'm really involved Some of my friends just drifted into retirement with no thoughts on what they would do, and spend most of their time talking with others about the good old days. PLAN now for what it is your going to do
Cheers
Dave the Taxman

My Dad (Now in his 80's) has been retired from his main job for 20 years, however got a part time job for 10 of those in sainsburys.... Mainly to keep him occupied and away from my Mum, else he would have gone stir crazy!

Hello Drew,

One thing you absolutely must do for your retirement is PLAN for it both in items of finance and activity. What are you going to do 12 hours a day seven days a week Gardening and DIY all soon get done (or maybe not) To have a plan which you implement BEFORE retirement is crucial otherwise you become an assistant housewife and day time TV addict (that is bad on both counts) I retired when I was 60 and increased my restoration work with pinball machines to about three days per week. I also joined my local Bowls Club. Yes I know you have to be careful which chair you sit in, but its a an activity that gets you involved with the community and out and about. Been secretary for 10 years now so I'm really involved Some of my friends just drifted into retirement with no thoughts on what they would do, and spend most of their time talking with others about the good old days. PLAN now for what it is your going to do
Cheers
Dave the Taxman
Thanks Dave, i suppose i can change my mind if its not for me.

My Dad (Now in his 80's) has been retired from his main job for 20 years, however got a part time job for 10 of those in sainsburys.... Mainly to keep him occupied and away from my Mum, else he would have gone stir crazy!
My wife left her job in Ealing as a bank manager when we moved here in 2001 to look after the 4 kids while I worked away, she recently went back to work locally so it’s just me and the dog all day🥳

My mum and dad stopped working at 50 ish and have been loving life living off a small amount of money ever since and close to 80 now.
My dad would have been dead long ago if he carried on working, don’t know how he sticks it with my mum all day though!

Back
Top Bottom