What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retheme/Homebrew pinball..... is it worth it????

Pick Holder

Site Supporter
Got hold of a Bally Game Show that fully works this week..... In players condition.

So do I - clean playfield, play it and then sell it...... of course the easy option....

OR

Do I do a re-theme and a re-write to Rush/Van Halen or Queen.

My long term goals would be:
Install a Pincobra (or a similair board) or a My Pinball card - PROC seems very expensive.
Replace all GI and other lamps with WS2813 devices.
Add a 3 or 4 ball trough instead of the 2.
Fit some kind of ball lock device.
LCD screen in backbox.

I would keep the layout pretty well the same.

Short term:
I could add pinsound.
Maybe hack the roms to change text?!?

The issue I have is programming. Back in ZX80, ZX81 and Spectrum days I was a whizz but discovered guitars, alchol and women over the next few years. So I would have to learn that side probably mission pinball.

Have no issues with the wiring and hardware side of things.

My final job would be playfield and cabinet art.

I figure I could try the 'short term' thing and see how go.....

Currently watching @meesterpieter postings about his game as well as @AlanJ homebrew.

If anyone can throw advice and experiences my way that would be great.....

Any pointers.......?????

This is something I have wanted to do for quite a few years........

If the layout works then go for it. MIssion Pinball can be as simple as some config files. Works with most aftermarket boards with p_roc, p3_roc and FAST the most popular.
P_roc allows use of all the other boards but you'll junk anything but the solenoid driver board in reality.

It is both a time and money pit. beware!

first of all, as @AlanJ says, you're going to need a hell of a lot of time. (and quite some funds and/or friends with parts)

but here are a few thoughts.

if you can do a project in steps, that makes it easier to keep the project going.
for a retheme, it might help to first start with either the theme or the coding.

coming from a complete pin, you might consider just starting with keeping the playfield original, and just use missionpinball with a controller to create your own game with the current setup.
in case you dont like it, just get it back on the original boards and keep it original.
this way you learn your way around missionpinball (MPF) (which i'd say is a must anyways if you want to build a homebrew).

if its MPF youre worried about, you can also start by making a virtual pinball first, either just very simple just with MPF, or also make a real virtual game, that is also supported by MPF i thought.

if its the theme and building part you're most excited about, i'd suggest picking up an old playfield which suits your theme well. for test purposed you can just buy some cheap relays and start flipping, when you're ready for it you can start with the whole MPF stuff.

as to using your working pin as a basis, i'd only advise it if you'd only go as far as a "simple" retheme.
if you go further than that you'll need to hack it apart to far, since a lot of old parts would be just a nuisance at that point.
you'd be getting rid of the board, most of the wiring, the lighting, the playfield wood, the dmd, the speakers, etc etc

anyways just my thoughts, hope it helps , always nice to see others starting their own projects, thats part of why i'm sharing the experiences on my build

@meesterpieter , @AlanJ and Phil (@Sven Normansson ) - thanks for your comments.

This is what I have.

IMG_4231.jpgIMG_4232.jpgIMG_4233.jpgIMG_4234.jpgIMG_4235.jpgIMG_4236.jpgIMG_4237.jpgIMG_4238.jpgIMG_4239.jpgIMG_4240.jpgIMG_4241.jpgIMG_4242.jpg

I dont mind the playfield layout - I enjoy the game. Sadly I let a Radical out of my grasp which would of been another great game to retheme. I could make the VUK into a ball lock, and looking at the trough I could just add an extra micro switch.

Yes - for sure, to start with it is a case of small steps.

I was going to use VP to see if I could hack the eprom and change the wording on the display as I do like the game play.

I was so tempted by Gary’s nice one but it went in a flash.
It’s a good era and still fairly affordable for someone new to the hobby and like stated above a shame to lose another pin from the community.
Is there nothing else around that’s not as popular or not so much of a risk should it all go tits up or you struggle to find the time.
I’ve now luckily found a PZ that needs a little work on the Capt mech and it should make a beaut.

Im deffo fancying doing a retheme - but im the opposite - I can the program (though arduino is somewhat of a pain compared to what ive become used to) but wiring and what not - not my forte.
(And yeah - time - isnt that everyones complication ?)
Agree with the other commets too - that looks to good to retheme

Last edited:
looks too good for a retheme.

why not start with just an old cab and a populated playfield, rather than pulling a complete working? game apart,
Because I like the game, it is nice and easy for me.
I suspect I wont be pulling too much apart that couldnt be put back together as the actual art work would be final stage.

I was so tempted by Gary’s nice one but it went in a flash.
It’s a good era and still fairly affordable for someone new to the hobby and like stated above a shame to lose another pin from the community.
Is there nothing else around that’s not as popular or not so much of a risk should it all go tits up or you struggle to find the time.
I’ve now luckily found a PZ that needs a little work on the Capt mech and it should make a beaut.
No cheap pins exist now. If I list this I would put it up for £2K after I clean the PF and put on the insert overlays I have.
However, I do not want to retheme an old EM game - or a single ball early SS game. Neither do anything for me, in fact I hate EM's.
The programming side is the only part that bothers me.
Electronics are no issue.
As I said before the PF would be the last thing I changed. So in effect, I could reverse it.
I could also sell the boards, backglass, displays etc if I wanted too and that would pay for the retheme.
Do not see it as 'loosing another pin'. I do not get sentimental about that kind of thing.
We have plenty of pins for sale in the UK but you just have to get them off James Bird and other dealers.
I wonder if this retheme of Fish Tails will end up better than the Stern?

I have seen three in the last 18 months...... that is not rare :)
Plus you have 0% chance getting me to pinfest.
And you will miss out on my man hugs! Gonzo nearly crapped himself last year when I embraced him tightly.
Didn’t have a scooby who I was! But I do kinda come across like some some over friendly Village people looking bloke at times.
That’s the problem with us real northerners we are not trying to pick pockets or pick you up it’s just our friendly nature. 👍

Nah - I only attend Swavesey when I can as pinball events go.
Have no reason to go, I have owned every game I want to own or at least played it.
I work on them at least 3 days a week minimum, sick of the sight of them :)

Back
Top Bottom